• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me identify this RL suit label

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
During a recent thrift search I came across a suit with a Ralph Lauren label. Specifically, Ralph Lauren was in all white letters - in cursive script - with only R & L capitalized on a solid dark blue background.

Where does this label fit within the hierarchy of Ralph Lauren/Polo suits?

mystillwater

Reaction score
sounds like the womens line.. any chance it was a womens suit?

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
sounds like the womens line.. any chance it was a womens suit?

Huh. I don't know but I don't think so. It was a 6/2 DB with wide lapels. I was in a major hurry, skimming racks before my wife noticed I ducked inside the store.
laugh.gif
No size tag but it definitely seemed like a man's suit.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
U should post a pic of the label.

If I had one I certainly would.

It would be a major production to get back to this place so I wanted to definitely ID the label first to determine if the return trip would be warranted.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pblasco
I came across this same thing awhile ago.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=117779

Yeah, that looks very similar but I am not sure if the white text was raised like it seems to be on the label in your photo or more flat? Is it really raised up on your coat or is that just a trick of the photo?

Ugh, I would be a horrible eyewitness for the prosecution.

Sartrolliast

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
If I had one I certainly would.

It would be a major production to get back to this place so I wanted to definitely ID the label first to determine if the return trip would be warranted.

It's gone.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartrolliast
It's gone.

If it is some crappy diffusion, I agree.

If it is PRL/Signature Line quality, I refuse to accept that without visual confirmation.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
It's the original signature line initiated around 1995 and only lasting a couple of years.

It was made by the same maker as Polo at that time, Pietrafesa of Syracuse, NY (WPL 559?), and constructed the same as Polo of fabrics similar to Polo.

It differed in that it was a domestically made line which mimicked Purple Label styling - extended padded shoulders, etc. It may have been slightly more expensive than similar Polo items. A typical suit may have been circa $800 in '96.

The white interior pocket production tag should indicate the date of manufacture in a 6 digit number, such as 960410 for April 10, 1996, somewhere on the bottom line. The 'CUT' number should begin with 'R' and there will be an 'F#' or 'S#' indicating the season (Fall, Spring) and year, in a single digit, for which it was made ('F6') somewhere in the production nomenclature.

The label proffered Chester Barrie RLPL ($1500 up) suit styling at near Polo pricing. There was also a golf line using the label, with such things as black nylon anoraks at $495 in mid '90s dollars.

You be the judge, in retrospect, as to the perspicacity of the confusing strategery.

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
It's the original signature line initiated around 1995 and only lasting a couple of years.

It was made by the same maker as Polo at that time, Pietrafesa of Syracuse, NY (WPL 559?), and constructed the same as Polo of fabrics similar to Polo.

It differed in that it was a domestically made line which mimicked Purple Label styling - extended padded shoulders, etc. It may have been slightly more expensive than similar Polo items. A typical suit may have been circa $800 in '96.

The white interior pocket production tag should indicate the date of manufacture in a 6 digit number, such as 960410 for April 10, 1996, somewhere on the bottom line. The 'CUT' number should begin with 'R' and there will be an 'F#' or 'S#' indicating the season (Fall, Spring) and year, in a single digit, for which it was made ('F6') somewhere in the production nomenclature.

The label proffered Chester Barrie RLPL ($1500 up) suit styling at near Polo pricing. There was also a golf line using the label, with such things as black nylon anoraks at $495 in mid '90s dollars.

You be the judge, in retrospect, as to the perspicacity of the confusing strategery.

Thanks--great info! Does that production tag dating system apply to PRL and RLPL as well? If so, I can't wait to get home and check all the tags in my closet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads