• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nau (Eco Friendly Activewear and Outdoor Clothing)

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, a bunch of stuff is on sale, up to 60%, at nau.com. Their Twitter says this'll be the last of the men's Shelter jacket.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spring preview's up. http://www.nau.com/mens/categories/spring/
007m01_005_1_20.jpg
001m02_387_1_20.jpg

BrooklynHighpost

Reaction score
Too bad they don't have that Shelter Jacket in red, def would of picked one up with that price.

Alec E

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
Lyra Mag has some shots of Nau FW10.
P1090260.JPG
P1090261.JPG
P1090265.JPG
P1090262.JPG
P1090258.JPG
P1090259.JPG
I'm intrigued by that first sport jacket, which is also featured at OutdoorRetailerLinks:
tn_p24_day4_Nau_ViceBlazer-183x300.jpg

I'm also interested in that first jacket. It's called the Vice Blazer and it's on their site now, but I can't for the life of me tell which of their colors the one in your pictures is. It looks darker (and better) than any of the ones they're showing. It looks like their usual caviar color to me, rather than the "caviar heather" that's shown as an option. http://www.nau.com/mens/categories/s...er-007M01.html I had an old Dualist that was my favorite jacket ever. I tried a Blazing this past winter, as well as a Shroud of Purrin Hoody, and was crushingly disappointed by both. I'll back up what a previous poster in this thread said: the Blazing is absolutely not a jacket for "the coldest winter weather," as their site said. I switched to a Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Jacket. Not as good looking, but much more comfortable and much, much warmer. I couldn't wear the Blazing outside in the 20's. My arms were freezing, and the collar made me feel like I was wearing one of those cones pets wear when they have stitches.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alec E
I'm also interested in that first jacket. It's called the Vice Blazer and it's on their site now, but I can't for the life of me tell which of their colors the one in your pictures is. It looks darker (and better) than any of the ones they're showing. It looks like their usual caviar color to me, rather than the "caviar heather" that's shown as an option.
Welcome to SF! The pictures I posted were, ostensibly, of items from the upcoming FW collection. The ones on the site are SS. So more than likely the version of the Vice blazer in the Lyra Mag photos is not yet available. I have found, however, that the photos on their site are generally terrible at conveying true colors. I also don't know if the Lyra Mag one is brown or grey, thanks to the lighting.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm also interested in that first jacket. It's called the Vice Blazer and it's on their site now, but I can't for the life of me tell which of their colors the one in your pictures is. It looks darker (and better) than any of the ones they're showing. It looks like their usual caviar color to me, rather than the "caviar heather" that's shown as an option.

http://www.nau.com/mens/categories/s...er-007M01.html

We actually just received the Vice Blazer yesterday in caviar. Great piece. It's a true dark grey - about a shade lighter than charcoal. I can hook up a natural light pic with it. Nau's online shop photographer cross-lights the models, so the clothing colors and tones are always a little off.

Alec E

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a Nau reseller who might stock their Fluent Doc passport wallet? Nau have told me they're out of it until August.

http://www.nau.com/mens/categories/a...c-308U939.html

C by Connect, the only Nau reseller I've dealt with before, said they expect to have more by the end of this month, but I doubt that in light of what Nau have said. (I've also sent an email asking about this to your site, Epaulet.)

nineohtoo

Reaction score
I know I'm late, but I really like that riding jacket, and I think I would suit me better for Bay Area weather than the Schott 740N I got to hold me over while I was working over in Montana.

Alec E

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nineohtoo
I know I'm late, but I really like that riding jacket, and I think I would suit me better for Bay Area weather than the Schott 740N I got to hold me over while I was working over in Montana.

I just ordered the Riding Jacket, among other things. A week ago I got what seems to have been the last large, caviar Shroud of Purrin Jacket (a much better cut than the short, boxy Shroud of Purrin Hoody, by the way) that they had. I'm trying to grab up as much as I can of what I see as "the old Nau"--the sleek, minimalist stuff. I see some frightening indications in their new line, and in a couple of pieces I returned in recent months, that they're heading in a corny, ski-influenced direction: crossover zippers, pockets upon pockets, strong shells, but trivial insulation. They also seem to be abandoning wool, the material I think they handled best.

That Lightbeam Jacket has "JC Penny" written all over it. I hope they're just suffering from a seasonal bug.

rdev

Reaction score
I don't see them abandoning wool - they have a bunch of wool stuff for summer. But overall I'm not that thrilled with their summer line. The Vice Blazer looks nice, but I got the Riding Jacket during the winter, so I don't want to grab a new jacket yet.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too am unimpressed with the men's collection this season. The only things I'm personally interested in are the Gauzian s/s shirt (I really like Nau's summerweight fabrics, and I hope it isn't as dumpy as it looks) and the Vice blazer (which I wish came in more heathered colors). I wish they'd make a henley or two for the guys.

I think Nau did much better with the women's collection this season. It seems a lot more coherent and in keeping with their design meets function philosophy.

On a completely superficial note, I don't like the Asian male model with the long hair. He doesn't make anything he wears look good.

As for wool... I still wish the merchant coat would make a comeback. I'm looking forward to the Confidant pants returning for FW10.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see some frightening indications in their new line, and in a couple of pieces I returned in recent months, that they're heading in a corny, ski-influenced direction: crossover zippers, pockets upon pockets, strong shells, but trivial insulation. They also seem to be abandoning wool, the material I think they handled best. That Lightbeam Jacket has "JC Penny" written all over it. I hope they're just suffering from a seasonal bug.
There will always be a wool element to their line--they develop(ed) the fabrics they use(d) in conjunction w/ their suppliers. It will fluctuate. I disagree about the Lightbeam. It's a pretty logical progression in the line, and doesn't seem dept. store to me. One of the legit market challenges at Nau in the early stages was "not enough color/pattern" I think they've tried to respond to that w/ out losing track of their core aesthetic. May not be for everyone, but there will always core peices that hold to the minimal style. Also, that fabric is awesome IRL.
Originally Posted by rdev
I don't see them abandoning wool - they have a bunch of wool stuff for summer. But overall I'm not that thrilled with their summer line.
Like any technically-oriented outerwaer company, the fall/winter collections will always be a bit stronger and better suited to showcase the skills and touches of the design team.
Originally Posted by ahjota
I too am unimpressed with the men's collection this season. The only things I'm personally interested in are the Gauzian s/s shirt (I really like Nau's summerweight fabrics, and I hope it isn't as dumpy as it looks) and the Vice blazer (which I wish came in more heathered colors). I think Nau did much better with the women's collection this season. It seems a lot more coherent and in keeping with their design meets function philosophy. On a completely superficial note, I don't like the Asian male model with the long hair. He doesn't make anything he wears look good. As for wool... I still wish the merchant coat would make a comeback.
yeah, this spring is not super strong for men. i also like a lot of the lightweight fabrics--they get some incredible stuff--but the fit blocking they do for their shirting really needs attention. the collars are too big and poorly shaped in almost every style I think that Asian model is just wrong for the sample sizes. Everything looks too big on him. Merchant coat is my all time favorite piece, but I know that fabric was really expensive to produce and cut/sew. May never return as such. ps: i have a Merino2 LS zip top, in steel blue, size L for sale. posting to B&S today. pm if you have any interest.

rdev

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oboy_oboy
yeah, this spring is not super strong for men. i also like a lot of the lightweight fabrics--they get some incredible stuff--but the fit blocking they do for their shirting really needs attention. the collars are too big and poorly shaped in almost every style

The collar is OK on the gauzian shirt that I have from a previous summer, but most others are oversized.

I think my disappointment comes from already having so much stuff. I already have many of the designs that I like, and the new products aren't different enough to warrant buying. I don't need another lightbeam shirt or merino t-shirts in the same colors as last summer.

I'll be interested in the Confident Pant, as long as it comes back in a new color (I already have the two offered during Nau 1.0).

Alec E

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdev
The Vice Blazer looks nice, but I got the Riding Jacket during the winter, so I don't want to grab a new jacket yet.

I was initially looking at the Vice Blazer, but then I clicked through to one of the sites hosting some of the photos in this thread, and I found a picture of the Riding Jacket that finally seemed to give an indication of what it really looks like.

243m3ut.jpg

It's the Vice, but much, much better, in my opinion. On their own site, Nau doesn't even show it worn as it would surely mostly be worn. Rather, they have their model in eccentric poses that badly obscure the garment--as if their lighting didn't do that enough.

I would have bought this ages ago if I'd only seen this crappy camera phone pic sooner.

Originally Posted by oboy_oboy
I disagree about the Lightbeam. It's a pretty logical progression in the line, and doesn't seem dept. store to me... Also, that fabric is awesome IRL.

A crossover zipper looks out of place on pretty much anyone but a teenager, in my opinion (I just returned a Rebound Jacket), and it's simply a disaster when wearing the jacket unzipped--as I do the majority of time I'm wearing a jacket, probably. (As if in response to my earlier post, Nau sent out an email today in which their head designer carries on, with grad student pretentiousness, about the power of asymmetry.)

As for that fabric, it reminds me of what Patagonia used to ruin their bag collection.

http://www.patagonia.com/tsimages/48...120,8&cvt=jpeg

One last complaint: if Nau want to be a serious outerwear company, they should be able to answer the question when you ask for the fill weight of a down garment. Usually, they can't. I was told when last I asked that they don't keep such information on hand. Absurd, since fill power means nothing except in relation to fill weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics