• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

AlSailor

Reaction score
From that picture, it looks like your toes would be jammed together in a smaller size, if not in this size.

emeterioy

Reaction score
I followed the meausuring guide in this thread and I bought the boots in the same size as my converse chucks and clarkd db. Everytime I walk my feet comes out a little so I tought it might be because its too big.

howlingwolfpress

Reaction score
There are 2 inches from my big toe to the tip of the boot, so that looks about the same. My toes shifted around a lot at the beginning but breaking in the leather seems to resolve this issue. If your heel is loose then it might be too big, but try tying the shoelaces as tightly as possible first and see if you can still move your heel around.

halberdklown

Reaction score
advice on sizing for someone thats a size 8 in chucks but a 9 in clarks desert boots?
i have a little bit of a wide foot

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emeterioy
what do you guys think? should I exchange them for a half a size smaller?

If there's too much room, try a pair of insoles.

Go on. I give you permission. I'm sure some RW fanatic will think less of you after he spent four months and forty blisters breaking in a pair of GTs without an insole, but your feet will thank you.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emeterioy
what do you guys think? should I exchange them for a half a size smaller?

Yes...Mine are big like this. I wear 8 in Clarks DB and my Redwing 8s are slightly long in the toe and heel. (Ive had them for so long now Im used to it but my next pair will be 7.5s) Insoles will do nothing to removing length from the toebox. Ive never heard anyone say not to use insoles that was a weird comment, most Redwings come with insoles but these dont for some reason....I use a very thin odor eater.

If your heel is slipping then they are too big.

Fiddy

Reaction score
+1

1/2 size down from Clark's DB and Chucks is ideal.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i went down .5, i have room in the toebox too, but when i tie them tight the heel doesn't slip. if i had sized down some more i think the lack of width would have ruined it for me. i think with thicker socks it's perfect, and as these are my winter boots that's ideal.

gastarbeider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by howlingwolfpress

An update after one month of wear, several applications of Obenauf leather preservative, and obsessive polishing
smile.gif

Breaking them in took at least 3 weeks and on one long walk early on left me with a huge blister on one heel and a deep scrape on the back of the other. Definitely worth sticking out the pain.

you must have very soft feet, and only walk on shag carpet.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with my DB size, which is also my Alden TruBalance and Barrie last size, and mine are a little on the long side as well but there is no way I could have gone with an 11 because of the width. I wore these for a solid month when I first got them and they still weren't exactly comfortable. Finally, after a couple months of reasonably consistent wear they have become truly comfortable to wear. I would love them a little shorter but I don't know if I would have made it through the break in period with an 11.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gastarbeider
you must have very soft feet, and only walk on shag carpet.

you must not have worn these. It took 2 weeks of walking every day around manhattan to break mine in.

gastarbeider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
you must not have worn these. It took 2 weeks of walking every day around manhattan to break mine in.

incorrect.

it took me one day of walking around manhattan to break mine in.

you must be soft.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
incorrect.

you must be soft.

depends what color. They use different leather on different colors. The cherry GTS are a ***** to break in.

Adam_Lee

Reaction score
incorrect.

you must be soft.

Don't be a douche. I've had several pairs of the same model of work boots after they wear out and each takes a different period of time to break in.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fiddy
+1 1/2 size down from Clark's DB and Chucks is ideal.
Only if you have narrow feet. I got the same size DBs and GTs, and the GTs are still a bit tight in the sides. I wear D sizes in all other shoes, so my feet aren't abnormally wide either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads