• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bread Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Froze one loaf to run an experiment. I want to see if frozen, homemade loafs can be revived. Next time I make a batch, I'm going to make a slurry and let it sit overnight to gain extra flavours.

They can't.
They will not be the same.
That is the upside and downside of a baguette.
You will, however, be able to make croutons or panzanella.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And the finished product:

IMG_0650.jpg

Recipe was just flour, water, salt, yeast.

Froze one loaf to run an experiment. I want to see if frozen, homemade loafs can be revived. Next time I make a batch, I'm going to make a slurry and let it sit overnight to gain extra flavours.

That baguette doesn't look right, but props for trying.
lol8[1].gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Yeah Carrefour does, and some chain shops like Paris Baguette, Wei Duo Mei, etc. do, but it doesn't compare to a "rustic" thick-crust freshly baked loaf.

Beijing has a Fauchon, which has fairly good bread.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
lol8[1].gif

I'm with the Geek.

Full disclosure: I was in France last week, so I'm, like, an expert...

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone at least once have to try real Finnish rye bread. Even Russian rye is not as good as Finnish.
This is bread I cannot live without. It is delicious.

http://www.nordicbreads.com/

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by CDFS
I'm with the Geek.

Full disclosure: I was in France last week, so I'm, like, an expert...

Did I say baguette? If I did, I meant French bread. It turned out better than the local store bought.

I'll try an actual baguette next time, which will involve using much less dough.

Edit: just checked. Nope, did not say it was baguette. Kyle did call it that though.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did I say baguette? If I did, I meant French bread. It turned out better than the local store bought.

I'll try an actual baguette next time, which will involve using much less dough.

Edit: just checked. Nope, did not say it was baguette. Kyle did call it that though.

Mmh, guess I'm way, way off base then. In my eyes 'French bread' is a baquette, but I guess it could be something like French fries, which are actually American fries or Brussels sprouts which are not really grown in the city proper.

Anyway, one way to improve this bread imo, is to slice the indentations instead of press them. If only for the looks.

Homemade bread can be excellent, though.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mmh, guess I'm way, way off base then. In my eyes 'French bread' is a baquette, but I guess it could be something like French fries, which are actually American fries or Brussels sprouts which are not really grown in the city proper.

Anyway, one way to improve this bread imo, is to slice the indentations instead of press them. If only for the looks.

Homemade bread can be excellent, though.

We call a baguette, "baguette" and a French bread is made in a similar manner, but is bigger (like the loaf I made).

If you were to actually look at the shaped dough, you would see the dough was in fact sliced.

Looking forward to seeing some of your efforts.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We call a baguette, "baguette" and a French bread is made in a similar manner, but is bigger (like the loaf I made).

If you were to actually look at the shaped dough, you would see the dough was in fact sliced.

Way, way, (...) way off base...
Looking forward to seeing some of your efforts.

I may someday.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Way, way, (...) way off base...

You were, but I make allowances due to language and geography. It's understandable.

I may someday.

I look forward to it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another bread-making day.

CIMG3644.jpg

This is the same bread as in my last post sans egg dumped all over it. I remembered to take a picture before it was mostly eaten this time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice looking crust.

Simon Templar

Reaction score
Bought some pana de casa bread. Sliced it, put some English blue stilton on, and placed under a hot grill until cheese melted. Nice.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first try in breadmaking.

88bc2526.jpg

Too much yeast, not enough rising and needs more salt. Tastes pretty good anyway.

The next picture will make its failings obvious to all

129f63ea.jpg

Will try again soon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads