• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Ice Martinis?

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I was reading an article in my local foodie mag/newspaper, and they mentioned that this highly regarded restaurant in St. Louis puts a bit of dry ice in their martinis (http://www.saucemagazine.com/article/3). All martinis except for those with cream get a drop of dry ice.

Being curious, I want to try this. Have any of you ever been/made cocktails with dry ice? I'm certain I *don't* want to put the ice in the shaker, as it could (would?) explode when I shake the drink. Once poured, how much is necessary? Is this even necessary? Do I need any ice in the shaker at all, or is that the point of the dry ice?

I'm moving next weekend, so once I'm all situated I'll be sure to try this out and let you all know how it goes.

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young

Being curious, I want to try this. Have any of you ever been/made cocktails with dry ice?

Only on Halloween, when its in the "punch" bowl.

Tyto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Being curious, I want to try this. Have any of you ever been/made cocktails with dry ice? I'm certain I *don't* want to put the ice in the shaker, as it could (would?) explode when I shake the drink. Once poured, how much is necessary? Is this even necessary? Do I need any ice in the shaker at all, or is that the point of the dry ice?
This seems gimmicky, but it works on the principle that, for cocktails, colder=better, which is generally true. I had several friends who swore by dry-iced vodka, and who dry-iced their gin before mixing their martinis. I'm not a vodka person, but the martinis were *very* nice and crisp.

But I don't think dry ice is necessary, as you can get a cocktail to around 24 F with regular ice alone. If you try dry ice, though, I think you would still want to mix with regular ice--the slight dilution of the alcohol that occurs as the ice melts is essential to a good cocktail--then add the dry ice to further reduce the temperature of the finished drink. Also, bartending canon holds that you stir a martini: shaking introduces bubbles, which creates a cloudy drink, and some afficianados believe that shaking "bruises" the gin. I can't taste the difference, but I like a nice, sleek, crystal-clear martini (or--with increasing frequency--an aviation), so I stir.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me the primary advantage would be the ability to control exactly how diluted you made the drink.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyto
This seems gimmicky, but it works on the principle that, for cocktails, colder=better, which is generally true. I had several friends who swore by dry-iced vodka, and who dry-iced their gin before mixing their martinis. I'm not a vodka person, but the martinis were *very* nice and crisp.

But I don't think dry ice is necessary, as you can get a cocktail to around 24 F with regular ice alone. If you try dry ice, though, I think you would still want to mix with regular ice--the slight dilution of the alcohol that occurs as the ice melts is essential to a good cocktail--then add the dry ice to further reduce the temperature of the finished drink. Also, bartending canon holds that you stir a martini: shaking introduces bubbles, which creates a cloudy drink, and some afficianados believe that shaking "bruises" the gin. I can't taste the difference, but I like a nice, sleek, crystal-clear martini (or--with increasing frequency--an aviation), so I stir.

The mistake that most bartenders make is dilution. Martinis should be clear, not cloudy. That's why the dry ice concept is a good one. You don't *want* water in your drink.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have, occasionally, consumed a smoking glass of coke. An important consideration is not getting any scrap that might have fallen off in your mouth. That would be bad.

Regards,
Huntsman

vesper

Reaction score
Dry ice should be put in at the end. And make sure no one eats any because it will burn them badly! As far as regular ice in the drink goes, I had to replace the refrigerator for my bar and i got one with a Refrigerator Water Filter which has significantly improved he quality of my drinks! My neighbors now come over to borrow ice
eh.gif

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
The mistake that most bartenders make is dilution. Martinis should be clear, not cloudy. That's why the dry ice concept is a good one. You don't *want* water in your drink.
The mistake many people who don't understand cocktails make is that they think water is bad. Water is an essential ingredient. If you don't use the proper sized ice in the proper way, you end up with either too much water or too little water. Neither is right. If you put your gin and/or vodka and vermouth in the freezer and make an iceless martini and enjoy it, good for you, but it's not a proper martini. Most of us would not enjoy drinking a martini that is that "hot" (alcholic). Similarly if you stir the gin and/or vodka with crushed ice, you'll have way too much water and it won't be right either. The role of ice in cocktails is essential to getting a good drink. I'm not sure what would make a martini cloudy other than making it wrong, such as shaking the hell out of it rather than stirring it. EDIT: This award-winning bartender explains it better than I can:

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It sounds rather gimmicky.
I saw it for the first time at a rather gimmicky place here in Dallas this weekend.

jiratic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
ffffuuuu.gif

churchhill would rise from the grave.
vodka and martini si an ABOMINATION upon the creator.
Vodka is for girly drinks.
Gin/Rum/Whiskey is for MEN.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyto
This seems gimmicky, but it works on the principle that, for cocktails, colder=better, which is generally true. I had several friends who swore by dry-iced vodka, and who dry-iced their gin before mixing their martinis. I'm not a vodka person, but the martinis were *very* nice and crisp. But I don't think dry ice is necessary, as you can get a cocktail to around 24 F with regular ice alone. If you try dry ice, though, I think you would still want to mix with regular ice--the slight dilution of the alcohol that occurs as the ice melts is essential to a good cocktail--then add the dry ice to further reduce the temperature of the finished drink. Also, bartending canon holds that you stir a martini: shaking introduces bubbles, which creates a cloudy drink, and some afficianados believe that shaking "bruises" the gin. I can't taste the difference, but I like a nice, sleek, crystal-clear martini (or--with increasing frequency--an aviation), so I stir.

Originally Posted by JohnGalt
ffffuuuu.gif

Originally Posted by jiratic
churchhill would rise from the grave.
vodka and martini si an ABOMINATION upon the creator.
Vodka is for girly drinks.
Gin/Rum/Whiskey is for MEN.

Lol, came to support Tyto since reading isn't the easiest skill to master for some...
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads