• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
It should go fine with any dark jeans except black.
Call me color-blind. But I think it even goes with my black jeans, in a weird way.

grooveholmes

Reaction score
I got an invite to the "private" preview party Saturday morning at the store. "Light breakfast" to be served. Ooooooo. I RSVPd... I figured, "why not?" I've got nothing better to do and there's nothing remotely interesting (as far as fashion goes) in my area. I was asked to bring a friend or two, but my girl wants to sleep in haha. I'll see what they have and then hit the thrift stores afterward.

I've noticed that they've been really pushing this "personal shopper" approach lately and especially with the new lines coming out. They're really trying to distance themselves from other fast fashion retailers in many ways (and quite successfully it seems).

synovoid

Reaction score
yeah, I know it's fine to pair like that. but come on, spring is coming, personally I dont prefer dark jacket + dark jeans.

It should go fine with any dark jeans except black.

saelan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by synovoid
yeah, I know it's fine to pair like that. but come on, spring is coming, personally I dont prefer dark jacket + dark jeans.

wear chinos?

the_state

Reaction score
Like 80% of you guys, I picked up the red chambray last night. I was disappointed that they used those cheap plastic buttons instead of the MOP buttons that you'll find on other J Crew utility shirts.

I also had a chance to check out the Fireman's Jacket which was a big let down. I cant get past the fact that it's all black, and the front button section (placket?) just looked weird. I think it was $228.

There was also a new madras shirt that looked interesting (red white and black pattern w/ a camp pocket) and a stack of vintage oxfords, which aren't as nice as the ones from a few years back. Solid colors though, oxford blue, white, yellow, pink, light blue university stripe and light grey uni stripe.

seany

Reaction score
I never even knew J.Crew used MOP buttons on their utility shirts. I own one from last year and it doesn't have um. btw where did you get a chance to check out the Firemans Jacket !?

I'm not going to buy it because I don't think I can make that jacket "work".

the_state

Reaction score
I have the original chambray util. shirt from a few years ago (light blue, no tab collar) and it has MOP buttons. The grey chambray w/ asymmetrical pockets from this past F/W season also had MOPs, and is also a really underrated piece.

J Crew Broadway Men's Shop has the Fireman's jacket. It's ok, kinda like like a black Barbour w/ weird hardware.

Side note- they should have saved the nailhead shirt for fall. It's way to think/heavy for warm weather.

seany

Reaction score
I'm going to the Mens shop in a few hours to exchange my red chambray for a smaller size. So I can't wait to see it, among other things.

Yea the nailhead shirt is is most def an winter shirt, no wonder I have yet to see any of the J.Crew models wearing it.

Thanks for the info 'State'.

Alito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seany
I'm going to the Mens shop in a few hours to exchange my red chambray for a smaller size. So I can't wait to see it, among other things.

Yea the nailhead shirt is is most def an winter shirt, no wonder I have yet to see any of the J.Crew models wearing it.

Thanks for the info 'State'.

Take pictures of the fireman jacket if you can please.

grooveholmes

Reaction score
The preview was nothing to write home about. Thought about picking up the nailhead shirt-- I like the fabric, but for 98 clams I'd rather put that toward an Epaulet or Drinkwater's shirt.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by synovoid

I think they still have stock left in the faded chino utility jacket. That would solve your problem.

Guus

Reaction score
I think they still have stock left in the faded chino utility jacket. That would solve your problem.

I wouldn't get that color. I just think its ugly for a Jacket. If you don't want the shadow because you think its too dark for spring than go for the surplus or whatever they are calling green.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guus
I wouldn't get that color. I just think its ugly for a Jacket. If you don't want the shadow because you think its too dark for spring than go for the surplus or whatever they are calling green.

It's not my favorite color either, but I am sure some people will like it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone checked out the Utility jacket BR is offering? If you can't get your size while it's on sale with JCrew, this might be a good substitute. I don't like it as much, but honestly it's not bad. BR/Gap are always offering coupons online too so you will be able to get it a lot cheaper if you keep your eye out.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=702681012

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads