• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manila Tailor

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
**** bro, what did you do (or not do)???

Got back to lifting weights and eating big. My arms, shoulders, chest, thighs and ass grew and now my bespoke/MTM stuff no longer fit. This includes some HK shirts and the TaT suit I wore to my wedding. Most of my raw denim (LVC and APC) don't fit anymore either.

ffffuuuu.gif

On a positive note I now fit into a lot of OTR RTW stuff.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I'm not sure. I believe they are very lightly fused, if at all. Sadly I am today almost 20lbs heavier than when I had the pictured shirts made, so I can't wear them anymore.

He made me a shirt with French cuffs as a Christmas present. The cuffs and collar were fused on that one.

Pretty sure Cornell can do a Barong Tagalog for you.

Thanks B.
so you're finally coming here? wait... I might be in the bay area in june
ffffuuuu.gif

barong- i'd also take a look at silk cocoon, kinda pricey though but their fabric is way nicer than the average barong tailor. if I'm around I'll bring you there.

Oh no! The immersion trip was approved, and I'm supposed to chaperone, but we need to get enough students interested. I'd say there's a 90% chance I'll go. If the trip falls through, I may go on my own anyway. Definitely would want to hang out.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ I checked and if my travel pushes through I just need to be in the u.s. end of june or early july. are you gonna stay in ateneo?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Thanks B.

Oh no! The immersion trip was approved, and I'm supposed to chaperone, but we need to get enough students interested. I'd say there's a 90% chance I'll go. If the trip falls through, I may go on my own anyway. Definitely would want to hang out.

Is this the ADMU Theo 141 immersion? Or are you taking your own students to Manila for their immersion?

emptym

Reaction score
^ I checked and if my travel pushes through I just need to be in the u.s. end of june or early july. are you gonna stay in ateneo?
It's at Ateneo. Trip runs from about May 24 to July 1, so there should be ample time to meet. Dates still aren't nailed down. Filipino time!
Is this the ADMU Theo 141 immersion? Or are you taking your own students to Manila for their immersion?
We'll be taking our students for an immersion exp. in Phil history/culture.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's at Ateneo. Trip runs from about May 24 to July 1, so there should be ample time to meet. Dates still aren't nailed down. Filipino time!

from the way it looks, I think I just need to be at lexington, ky 1st week of july. let me know what your plans are, ateneo's like 5 minutes away from home... 30 minutes if its rush hour.
laugh.gif

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We'll be taking our students for an immersion exp. in Phil history/culture.

Cool. My friend does food/cultural tours of historical Manila and Binondo, in case you're planning anything along those lines.

emptym

Reaction score
from the way it looks, I think I just need to be at lexington, ky 1st week of july. let me know what your plans are, ateneo's like 5 minutes away from home... 30 minutes if its rush hour.
laugh.gif

Excellent!
Cool. My friend does food/cultural tours of historical Manila and Binondo, in case you're planning anything along those lines.
Sounds good. Thanks. I'm, fortunately, not involved with the planning. Ateneo is taking care of the whole thing.

Look forward to seeing you both then!

daruma

Reaction score
bbaquiran, shirts have arrived from your tailor (actually arrived like 3 weeks ago) and they're great! Ordering a few more and trousers next!!

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by daruma
bbaquiran, shirts have arrived from your tailor (actually arrived like 3 weeks ago) and they're great! Ordering a few more and trousers next!!
Cool! Post some pictures! If you get trousers made, ask for a good quality zipper. The zipper on my trousers feels a bit rough/cheap, and I'm considering having it replaced. Everything else is quite nice though.

Manticore7

Reaction score
@ daruma: would like to order, too. Which tailor is that exactly? Thanks

emptym

Reaction score
I've been in Manila for a week and a half now. Bought some pina fabric for a barong in a town that specializes in it (Lumban, Laguna) and brought it to Cornell's a couple days ago. Barongs are made in different types of fabric. The most formal, most traditional, and toughest to make is pina. Here's a website with pretty good descriptions, pictures, and videos of its making and uses. Pina does have its disadvantages, including being more delicate than the second most formal type, jusi, which is is made of raw silk. Here's a pic of the pina fabric I got (on the right). Next to it is a version in jusi, bought by one of my students. Despite the bad photography, you might notice a few differences, including the darker color, rougher texture, and less even, hand embroidery of the pina version:
imgp3985w.jpg
By buying the fabric in Lumban, we got the pick of a hundred designs and paid about half the cost in Manila. I'll post pics of mine when it's done, I think on Monday. I'll also have a fitting then for a shirt and a suit made from this fabric:
imgp3977l.jpg
The suit will be made of a cotton linen blend in an open weave. Interestingly, any cloth with an open weave is called "fresco" here. The top and bottom shirt fabrics are seersucker. The middle one to my uneducated eye looks like end on end. Its weave is pretty porous too though. I also dropped off some kind of linen blend for shorts. The suit will cost about $20 for fabric and $135 for making. Shirts are $5-8 for fabric and $14 for making. The barong's total cost is about $80. Shorts are around $18. My thanks to acidboy and bbaquiran who helped me make a few decisions about styling.

Last edited:

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a few months back I was in town and got a tour of historical Manila from this dude:
17870_995167010193_2210439_53792575_3016381_n.jpg
It was pretty darn good. Last week when I was on Cathay, I noticed him being featured on their inflight magazine. good job!
tongue.gif

emptym

Reaction score
^Hey, I was just at that fort yesterday! Powerful to see where Rizal was held.

Below are some pictures from an interesting family museum, Villa Escudero, we visited last week. They are few outfits worn by Philippine presidents and their first wives. I think they're the real thing. It's interesting to see different types of styles. I hope I got these right:

Emilio Aguinaldo:
imgp3895.jpg

Manuel L. Quezon:
imgp3896f.jpg

JosÃ
00a9.png
P. Laurel:
imgp3897.jpg

Sergio Osmeña:
imgp3898.jpg

Manuel Roxas:
imgp3899c.jpg

Elpidio Quirino:
imgp3900b.jpg

Ramon Magsaysay:
imgp3901.jpg

Diosdado Macapagal:
imgp3902.jpg

Carlos P. Garcia:
imgp3904.jpg

Corazon Aquino:
imgp3906.jpg

I skipped a few presidents and first ladies: Marcos and Imelda, mostly out of disgust for their actions, Ramos and Estrada,

krakatoa

Reaction score
Anyone used Ascot Chang at the Makati Shang for shirts? Do they simply take the measurements and convey to AC HK? Are prices between the two comparable? Does Makati carry the full range of shirt fabrics, such as Thomas Mason?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads