• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants keep falling down...help!

StrayPants

Reaction score
Newbie here, needing help to look his best. My dress pants keep slipping down in front as if they are too big or I am too big for them. It looks terrible and I have to keep pulling them up. I am a little overweight or out of shape, but not by much -- an inch or two in the waistline. The pants are made to measure and the belt is just right. What am I doing wrong? How can I correct this problem? This has been an ongoing problem for years with the tailored pants.

I do sit all day so this could be adding to the issue. Could the waistband be too high? Where should it be? The waistband lies right on my navel when pulled up straight. When I started having suits made, the tailor would cut the pants at a slant going lower from the back to the front by an inch or two. I hated that look and feel, so now I tell them to keep it straight. When purchasing off the rack pants they never give me any problems. What do the experts say? Is the rise too high or is there another fix?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
without a picture I would just say you are too fat.

oroy38

Reaction score
Are you wearing your pants close to your hips, or are you wearing them at your waist where they're supposed to be? If your pants have an adequate rise and are the proper size, this shouldn't be happening.

imhotep

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

trader

Reaction score
do you have anterior pelvic tilt?
anterior-pelvic-tilt2.png

StrayPants

Reaction score
Do I need a physical to resolve the issue? My back side is more like a and the front more like b. When my wife gets home in a few days I will ask her where I fit in.

I am wearing the pants on my waist. Maybe that's the problem. My jeans sit on or slightly above the hip and I do not have this issue. The overall rise must be too high.

Will wait to post pictures after hearing some of the comments.

oroy38

Reaction score
A high rise would not cause this. It is likely because you asked the tailors to cut the waistband differently. What was previously conforming to the curve of your belly by being cut slightly lower is now having to work against your body, and is being pushed down by the belly rather than hugging it. Think of your belly as this "/" and your waistband as "|". /| is what's going on right now, so the waistband will obviously slide down due to the pressure exerted by your belly. Before, the waistband was following the curve of your belly by being cut slightly lower so that it angles upward and hugs it like this: //

You have 4 solutions:
1. See if the tailor can alter the waistband to the previous fashion.
2. Wear braces instead of a belt.
3. Lose weight so you have a flatter belly that will complement the angle of the waistband.
4. Don't wear pants.

StrayPants

Reaction score
oroy38, sounds possible.

Let me ask one question, where should the waist of dress pants lay? I still think my pants could be sitting too high. Some information that could help, and that I may used for future questions:

Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 173 lbs
Waist: 33
Suit: Off the rack can range from 41 to 44, I am somewhere between a short and a regular. My chest is larger from years of working out. Armholes of off the rack suits are usually too small for me. This is why I go with made to order.

Work won't let me go without pants unless I shave my legs. My skin is too sensitive for daily shaving.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bend over at your side. With your hand feel for the top of your hip bone. That's your waist. Your pants should sit there at normal rise.

Lower rise is lower. Higher rise would be higher.

Everybody is different.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StrayPants
Work won't let me go without pants unless I shave my legs. My skin is too sensitive for daily shaving.

You have my sympathies.

- B

Winot

Reaction score
If you cannot solve the problem you will at least have a future career in French farce.

StrayPants

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StrayPants
I am wearing the pants on my waist. Maybe that's the problem. My jeans sit on or slightly above the hip and I do not have this issue. The overall rise must be too high.

Correction -- I am wearing my jeans on my waist. My suit pants have a higher rise that brings them up to my navel.

StrayPants

Reaction score
The tailors I have used end up copying the suit I am wearing even after taking their own measurements. For the next suit and new tailor, I will wear jeans for the measuring so the previous work does not influence the cut.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can always have them taken in, there is a way to have them tailor in the front only just a inch or so. Or you could alway try braces they never fail.

StrayPants

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
You can always have them taken in, there is a way to have them tailor in the front only just a inch or so. Or you could alway try braces they never fail.

I would love to wear braces again, but aren't they out of style? I wore them in the late 80's and early 90's. So comfortable! Tailors no longer ask if you want buttons for braces and quality pants no longer come with buttons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads