• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
I'm looking at buying a pair of 405s but I have no idea how to size em. I'm a 9.5 in clarks, 9 in chuck taylors and my sizing really varies on the brand. What other alden shoe/last could i try on to get a comparable fit to 405s?
Redwing GT.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I'd be the same size in redwing gts as alden 405 trubalances?
Well I cannot be positive but you should be. Go get measured at a shoe store and you will be a half size down from that. That should also be your Red Wing GT size. Really a lot of whacky math here.
teacha.gif

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tom Last was made for me. Nah, just joking.
laugh.gif
It's an old last that was most recently used in Japan for loafers. I would probably go for your true size.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Keep them and get the seersucker.

Originally Posted by Ahab
OK, I have been waiting for minimal sun to take pics. I have been working from dark until dark and it has been overcast but today I took some new stuff out for pics. First up, White Suede Saddle's:

Not sure how useful these will be to me so if anyone wants them for $275 shipped conus let me know. 10D Barrie last, not seconds, blah, blah,blah. I have not treated them yet and they are whiter than they appear in the pics. I may have to get a Seersucker suit just for these.
blush.gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Keep them and get the seersucker.
smile.gif
You are right. This was a half assed attempt since I want to keep them. I missed out on one of the Brooks Brothers seersucker's on sale. That would have been awesome.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
The Tom Last was made for me. Nah, just joking.
laugh.gif
It's an old last that was most recently used in Japan for loafers. I would probably go for your true size.

I have to admit I considered this a possibility. They owe you for that Ultimate Indy.
lol8[1].gif

edmond_evo6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunkin
here is my collection of aldens with my newest addition of the cigar aldens (lower left)
sorry for crap pics

383206581.jpg

383206580.jpg

may i ask can you using the cigar indy to compare with the other indy boot?

i think they are not using the TruBalance last,do you agree?

MS007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NBlair930
Anyone know the "key" to decipher what the series of numbers on the inside of Alden Shoes/Boots means?

I know the Size and Model number. I am referring to the other long string of numbers.

Thanks .

Are here any experts which would happen to know the answer (or point me to it...maybe I missed the post) ?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MS007
Are here any experts which would happen to know the answer (or point me to it...maybe I missed the post) ?
Someone posted it. Will post again:

Each Alden shoe is marked inside with its model number and size.

The model number is usually a three or four digit number such as 986, or 9901, etc...

The size is always written as the length of the shoe, and under that, the width of the shoe, such as:

9 10 1/2
or
C/E B/D

In these examples, 9 and 10 1/2 are the length, and C/E and B/D are the width.

In U.S. shoe sizing, the widths are: A & B = Narrow, C & D = Medium, E, EE & EEE =Wide.

Inside each Alden shoe, the width of the shoes are written as:

A/C, B/D, C/E, etc.....

The width is written as a 'fraction', and the bottom of that 'fraction', (the denominator) is the width of the shoe.

Example: C/E = E width, or B/D = D width

When you place your order, we will help you to determine your correct size, if you do not already know your size in the shoe you have ordered.

Question? Please e-mail us at: [email protected]

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/fitting.htm

enigma77

Reaction score
so I'd be the same size in redwing gts as alden 405 trubalances?

Size down 1/2 from your true size. I've heard of people sizing down a whole size for Indy Boots or other Trubalance shoes, but in my experience go down one half. You're talking about the regular brown Indy Boot, right?

edmond_evo6

Reaction score
IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

brothers,it's was the compare of the no.8 (left) cigar indy with the TruBalance last .

in my opintion,the cigar indy is not using the TruBalance last,

do you think they are in the same last?thank.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmond_evo6
brothers,it's was the compare of the no.8 (left) cigar indy with the TruBalance last .

in my opintion,the cigar indy is not using the TruBalance last,

but leffot have mention they are when i make the order.

do you think they are in the same last?thank.

OK, Do they fit? That is the most important thing. They look different from the pics you have posted but I am not gonna call the man a liar or say he is wrong.

The truth may be more like the cigar Indy's are on the Barrie last and the #8 Tru-Balance which is negligible from my understanding.

If you do not like them I am sure he will take them back since he could sell them within minutes.
teacha.gif

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't look like the same last at all.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
OK, Do they fit? That is the most important thing. They look different from the pics you have posted but I am not gonna call the man a liar or say he is wrong.

The truth may be more like the cigar Indy's are on the Barrie last and the #8 Tru-Balance which is negligible from my understanding.

If you do not like them I am sure he will take them back since he could sell them within minutes.
teacha.gif

I agree with Ahab. At first class the Cigar Indys look more like the Barrie Last than the TruBalance. However since conventional wisdom is to size down 1/2 size for both, they would probably fit either way. Unless you have an adversity to the Barrie Last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads