• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Today was Jo Malone Vanilla Anise... Nothing at first, but this has actually grown on me!

i wear this too! always get compliments on it. i love how jo malone fragrances are surprisingly unisex.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
There are some who will tell you that it takes months to fully 'get' a scent, but I'm not part of that camp. What I think happens is that you only catch parts of a composition at a time, and that with time and repeated wearings you file away the obvious parts and start to notice the underlying themes.

Or, sometimes you just hit a mood or frame of mind where you're more receptive to a scent's mood or presentation. It's certainly happened to me on a few occasions (Dior Homme being one).

Today, a scent I loved from the get-go, TF Amber Absolute.

I'm not always sure about that, many frags I either just love/hate right away, and occasionally something grows on me but usually within 2-3 wearings max I know if I like it or not. Sometimes the 2-3rd wearing will give me a new perspective, but rarely does it change my first impression.
That being said, it's taken a while for me to be able to be that decisive up front.

+1 to Dior Homme, I still think that ones really somethign else. I smelled some chocolate thing last night on someone at the gym and was thinking it might have been Angel, but then though, actually, maybe DH?

Love that TF AA. Have you tried Hermessence Ambre Narguile (more fruity), Armani Privee Ambre Soie (more savory and stronger cinnimon and clove), and also Opium PH?

Originally Posted by tomgirl
i wear this too! always get compliments on it. i love how jo malone fragrances are surprisingly unisex.
Yeah, most of her frags are, well good, but I think the general concensus is that they're a little overpriced. I've found a few that I like (Sweet Lime & Cedar, Pomegranite Noire, etc) but they're just not nice "enough" IMO to justify the prices. Still might consider getting some of this one though. What I do find unique about JM is how they're very light, and they do project, but ever so subtly and last surprisingly long. MAny times I thought it had faded, but the scent is there, just minimally.

Originally Posted by kulata
YSL L'homme for me today. One of the best work fragrance In my opInIon.
+1, I'm constantly surprised by how YSL makes interesting frags at reasonable prices. One of the best houses IMO. I've sampled L'Homme a few times and it's now on my "to buy" list

Today testing Givenchy Ange ou DÃ
00a9.png
mon. faded fast within 3-4 hours. Meh, pretty harmless stuff. Starts very promisingly, sweet floral, then just dies.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not always sure about that, many frags I either just love/hate right away, and occasionally something grows on me but usually within 2-3 wearings max I know if I like it or not. Sometimes the 2-3rd wearing will give me a new perspective, but rarely does it change my first impression.
That being said, it's taken a while for me to be able to be that decisive up front.

+1 to Dior Homme, I still think that ones really somethign else. I smelled some chocolate thing last night on someone at the gym and was thinking it might have been Angel, but then though, actually, maybe DH?

Love that TF AA. Have you tried Hermessence Ambre Narguile (more fruity), Armani Privee Ambre Soie (more savory and stronger cinnimon and clove), and also Opium PH?

(....)

I think that the u-turns are rare (but they happen), but more often it's a matter of going from like to adoration, or 'mneh' to 'wow'. One of the most common that I've heard about is Mitsouko. It seems that one is Required Reading, a Masterpiece of sorts, and most people try it and say...whatev. And then, down the road they try it again, and say...wow.

I've not tried the rest of the ambers you've mentioned - the only reason I have the AA is because a friend bought the big bottle (blind!!!) and needed help defraying the costs - and no one else was jumping in to help. Normally I hate dropping that kind of lucre on a scent (especially blind!) and will only do so in rare cases (AA, Oud 27), IF I can score a deal.

Part of the reason is that there are plenty of masterpieces in the lower price points: Pour Une Homme, Yatagan, Bvlgari Black, Vetiver, Habit Rouge, most Bay Rums, and Bel-Ami (before Hermes pulled distribution into the boutiques) that it's really hard for me to say: $100+ for a small bottle: I'll take it!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Totally understand about the value equation for frags. That's why I generally stick with 10-15ml decants, becuase in most cases it's enough that I'd use it without having to buy a full bottle. Especially with the TF ones which are so strong I'd never go through 50ml. I generally set a limit of $30-50 on any given frag and just buy whatever size I can with that amount, or swap decants from my 100ml bottles for others I want but wouldn't buy FB's of. If you like AA, i'd highly suggest a few other ambers (Goutal - Fetiche, Lutens - Sultan, Hermes - Narguile). I wonder if Mitsouko gets more cred because Turin calls it his "favorite" I always think of Rive Gauche as a perfect example of a cheap masterpiece. PS - interested in doing another swap box in the coming months? i've got a bunch of partial samples + wardrobe decants to seed

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
Tom Ford Gray Vetiver. I like the smoky/tobaco notes that its gives off mid-day.

Still not as nice as Tom For For Him or Bond Saks Fifth Avenue, but will do on a nice quiet day in the office.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQ Lawyer
Tom Ford Gray Vetiver. I like the smoky/tobaco notes that its gives off mid-day. Still not as nice as Tom For For Him or Bond Saks Fifth Avenue, but will do on a nice quiet day in the office.
If you like Grey Vetiver, try Lalique Encre Noire http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126273.html If you like TFFM, Try TFFM Extreme - IMO much better.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
If you like Grey Vetiver, try Lalique Encre Noire
If you like TFFM, Try TFFM Extreme - IMO much better.

While I like the scent of Extreme, it didn't work on my skin, but I agree it is a nice smell.

I will definitely try LEN. Thanks for the reco.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like Grey Vetiver, try Lalique Encre Noire http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126273.html If you like TFFM, Try TFFM Extreme - IMO much better.
Interesting you mention this, because Grey Vetiver is the only vetiver frag I've tried that I've really liked. Guerlain Vetiver left me ambivalent--it's OK, but not anything I need to own. Only problem is Grey Vetiver is $85 for a small bottle and not on discount anywhere. How would you say Encre Noir compares? I've read it's much darker, and I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for--I'm looking for a year-round vetiver. Thoughts?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't say I know them both that intimately, other then that they're both sort of slighly smokier darker takes on vetiver and Basenotes reviews of GV tend to rate it as mediocre while EN gets a lot of good reviews. I've sampled both a few times. I think GV is a clean basic vetiver, good year rounder and innofensive, just a bit expensive. Not too interesting, but good and basic. EN is definitely more of a dark smoky kind of take on it, those who like it love it, personally thought i find it a bit "moody". Available for quite cheap though (just saw 50ml for <$30 at scented monkey a few weeks ago). So totally understandable about your impressions of EN being darker, and I understand your thoughts on Guerlain's, which I find has quite a lot going on, plus it's a little dirty with that tobacco/ash thing. Basenotes has quite a few threads on vetiver frag recomendations, taht's just what I've gathered from reading a bit. hope taht helps a bit.

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
want to buy something blind. please help me choose between ysl live jazz and nautica voyage. i like both perfumers behinds the scents and have owned others they've created.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't say I know them both that intimately, other then that they're both sort of slighly smokier darker takes on vetiver and Basenotes reviews of GV tend to rate it as mediocre while EN gets a lot of good reviews. I've sampled both a few times. I think GV is a clean basic vetiver, good year rounder and innofensive, just a bit expensive. Not too interesting, but good and basic. EN is definitely more of a dark smoky kind of take on it, those who like it love it, personally thought i find it a bit "moody". Available for quite cheap though (just saw 50ml for <$30 at scented monkey a few weeks ago). So totally understandable about your impressions of EN being darker, and I understand your thoughts on Guerlain's, which I find has quite a lot going on, plus it's a little dirty with that tobacco/ash thing. Basenotes has quite a few threads on vetiver frag recomendations, taht's just what I've gathered from reading a bit. hope taht helps a bit.

I see, thanks. I like smoky, but I'm not sure I'm looking for "moody" in a vetiver scent.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
I see, thanks. I like smoky, but I'm not sure I'm looking for "moody" in a vetiver scent.

I'm sure others with more intimate knowledge of Encre Noire can chime in, I've only worn it a few times and it's sort of dark and smoky, but I just found it sort of "somber" if you will. As Thomas pointed out though, it really takes a quite a bit of wearing to really "get" any frag, and basenotes members rate it highly, it just wasn't for me though.

arlee

Reaction score
haven't tried Grey Vetiver but I love Encre Noire. If you try it and think its too much or overwhelming for you can always opt for Chanel Sycomore or try Etat's Fat Electrician

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new Body Kouros arrived today (after I sold it once)
frown.gif
. Smells better than ever, sweet but with other elements to keep it interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads