• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

blahgspot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypnos123
I'm looking for my first pair of black captoe under 150pounds/200USD. For various logistical reason I'm only planning to order from pediwear and herring. I'm narrowing down to the Loake 1880 line vs Alfred Sargent Classic line, or maybe some Barker.
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2603.php
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/sargent/products/41.php

Is the AS classic line corrected-grain? Some say only the premier line is worth getting but AS seems to have better "reputation" than Loake so I don't know. PS I need one pretty soon so I can't wait for sales or factory seconds.

Pediwear is a great business; their service is excellent and prices are among the lowest. However, if you are in the USA I would go with something less expensive and equally well-made, since those shoes you link to are quite conservative, and design-wise, nothing special. Call Allen Edmonds and ask them about discontinued models such as the Evanston or Soho, the latter being VERY similar to what you are seeking. Plus, they are selling them off for $120. Hard to argue with that. I save my pediwear/herring shopping for stuff I can't get in the USA or that ends up being cheaper from them (such as brogue boots or goodyear welted chukkas)... In the end, AS and Loake's are well made, but they aren't Church's or etc.

blahgspot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
Could you elaborate as to why they would be disappointing with a suit? Is it the design/pattern, the leather, or something else? Also, would you think that they wouldn't be up for pants with an odd jacket? I'm curious because, as someone who usually wears boots, I hadn't heard of these and was pleasantly surprised to find them priced so reasonably.

I suppose you could wear them with a suit if you insisted, but to somebody in the know it might look like you don't know what you are doing. Especially if you are wearing a business suit or are engaged in some formal event. Unless you really want to look like a hipster or a punkster playing dress-up. They'd be fine with an odd jacket and pants assuming they are casual enough and you aren't trying to look like you are "on the job."

blahgspot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesterM
At the advice of the forum I've gotten a lot of my dress shirts tailored, is there any benefit to doing the same for polo shirts? They seem to suffer from the same problem as my dress shirts (great fit at the shoulders and chest, baggy at the waist).

if your tailor is willing, then go for it.

godan

Reaction score
Who here customarily wears pleated trousers without cuffs? Much opinion to the contrary, I like the look, especially with cords with Weeguns or wool dress pants with tassel loafers or lace-ups. Mine is a short, weightlifter's body, and reducing visual weight toward the bottom seems to work. I would be happy to hear from others.... Thanks.

blahgspot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by godan
Who here customarily wears pleated trousers without cuffs? Much opinion to the contrary, I like the look, especially with cords with Weeguns or wool dress pants with tassel loafers or lace-ups. Mine is a short, weightlifter's body, and reducing visual weight toward the bottom seems to work. I would be happy to hear from others.... Thanks.
I think you are fine disregarding such traditional outlooks on fashion. I tend to hate pleated pants, but the only pair I own is uncuffed. I would pay more attention to the overall look and what works best on your body type. Of course, being unable to see you, there does exist the possibility that you--you who ask for advice--look like a complete fool, mismatched, of ill-fitting cloth, even slovenly, excessively thick, or colorblind, but normally such an outlandish perception of one is not contingent on so small a detail. I think you get what I mean, however.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newb question, but will shoe trees that are too snug ruin my shoes? The pair I'm worried about are in the second photo. They are a Euro size 44. US 11 1/2. The shoe trees are marked a size 12. They fit pretty snug. I'm just worried about stretching the backs too much (see photo). The pair in the first photo are just right.
P1020594.jpg
P1020596.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Here's one - So I have some silk knit ties I wear sort of more casually with OCBD's. Is it part of the "look" to tuck them into the pants, like a retro old man thing or am I breaking some sort of rule? I did this once, thinking it was periodically accurate but people kept telling me as if I'd made some huge sartorial faux pas... honestly what's the deal?

JSWBAR

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a pair of Tricker's on the 4537 last, but I'm concerned about sizing. I sent the measurements of the length and width of my foot to both Richard at the Shoe Healer and Pediwear as well as my normal US sizes, and they recommended me a UK7.5. Under normal circumstances, I wear a US8E on AllenEdmonds #5 last. I've seen this thread, and from what some are saying I may want to go down to a UK7... this is bourne out by Richard saying his foot measures 27cm and he wears a UK8 -- 6-8mm longer than my own, which is nearly a full size. Is it a width issue?

Although, on the other hand most people in the above thread seem to be talking about Tricker's Country line, while I'm thinking of the 1829 collection.

Getzione

Reaction score
When is it correct to wear a button down collar?
Non-formal?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Here's one - So I have some silk knit ties I wear sort of more casually with OCBD's. Is it part of the "look" to tuck them into the pants, like a retro old man thing or am I breaking some sort of rule? I did this once, thinking it was periodically accurate but people kept telling me as if I'd made some huge sartorial faux pas... honestly what's the deal?
I don't think it's part of the look. I always thought people who tucked ties were either incapable of tying the tie at its proper length or too lazy to do it.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Newb question, but will shoe trees that are too snug ruin my shoes? The pair I'm worried about are in the second photo. They are a Euro size 44. US 11 1/2. The shoe trees are marked a size 12. They fit pretty snug. I'm just worried about stretching the backs too much (see photo). The pair in the first photo are just right.
The most likely way for shoe trees to be too big for a pair of shoes is width-wise through the upper/vamp of the shoes. The trees would have to be way, way too big before you'd get length-wise stretching.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where does one get those cool dress boot shoe-trees? I can't find any pics offhand, but the ones where the tree's handle is actually at the top of the boot opening - and, I'm presuming, the tree's body isn't just maintaing the "shoe" portion, but also the boot's ankle/calf portion as well (if that makes sense).

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather than creating a new thread (too many fit threads these days) I'm posting here.

Is it too big? It fits on the shoulders well. I'm mainly worried about the length. I'm 6'2" and this is a 40L Samuelsohn. It obviously need the back cleaned up and a good amount of waist suppression.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Getzione
When is it correct to wear a button down collar?
Non-formal?

Wear button down collars when you're not wearing a tie.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Rather than creating a new thread (too many fit threads these days) I'm posting here.

Is it too big? It fits on the shoulders well. I'm mainly worried about the length. I'm 6'2" and this is a 40L Samuelsohn. It obviously need the back cleaned up and a good amount of waist suppression.

It fits fine, I don't really see any real problem. This strangely reminds me of MAnton.

Anyway, to be very picky, I would say the shoulder is just slightly too big (which makes the arms look a bit roomy).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics