• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lonelyimage

Reaction score
I'm driving a hyundai getz now and i'm not sure if any one here have heard of it

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rocks
I know the early E46's were more susceptible ie pre 2003. I don't know of anyone with a ZCP that had sub-frame problems, then again those cars are rare but I still haven't read of any documented cases associated with ZCP's. Now, I just want to make sure this issue doesn't plague the ZCP before I commit, otherwise I would have to seriously consider the E92 M3 despite its awkward looks and my non-desire for a V8.

PS. I just remembered about the class action lawsuit regarding the subframe issue from a letter I received July of last year. See link for details....

http://www.e46subframeclassactionsettlement.com/

1. All e46s are doomed it's just a function of (time, driving style, tracking, suspension) and zcp means nothing because there is no reinforcement of any type it's just an option package
2. This is not a rare problem

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lpresq
I just added a 2007 Porsche Cayman S in Atlas Gray to my garage. I'll post pics once we escape from the blizzard conditions. A Borla racing exhaust system will be added shortly.
smile.gif

Preview (I've upgraded the yellow/orange side-markers to clear):

used-2007-porsche-cayman-s-7881-5009595-2-640.jpg

Nice car. Don't modify it. You want a good reliable Porsche.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see, hopefully my E46 sub-frame stays in-tact before I retire it....consequently, I will have to get the E92 M3 in a year or so, or until the current mechanical and electrical issues those cars are plagued with are addressed. There's nothing else out there that entices me as well as fit my budget.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't let the subframe issue scare you off if you're prepared to deal with it or if you find a car that has it fixed already. Mine went relatively early in its life, and BMW fixed it for me (under warranty) with a reinforcement (instead of the later, cheaper fix which sprayed some foam in the area). Turner Motorsports, as mentioned earlier, has a reinforcement kit that is said to work well, too.

Any car will have its issues --- you should know about them beforehand and decide whether you can live with them. BTW, the E46 also has issues with deforming or breaking the front strut towers especially in cars without strut bars. The strut bar itself doesn't prevent the damage, but the plates used to hold them on act as reinforcements.

--Andre

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Rocks, speaking as a former die-hard bmw loyalist I would advise you to just stay away from bmws going forward. My friends and I are all sick of the tireless nonsense we've had to put up with over the years and we have extremely high tolerances for this stuff. No other carmaker has designed so many components to fail intentionally over time.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Rocks, speaking as a former die-hard bmw loyalist I would advise you to just stay away from bmws going forward. My friends and I are all sick of the tireless nonsense we've had to put up with over the years and we have extremely high tolerances for this stuff. No other carmaker has designed so many components to fail intentionally over time.

You mean that stupid, little, automated plastic arm that hands you your seat belt in the new e92s won't last forever?!
laugh.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^God that's gotta be the dumbest feature I've ever seen. I love my e46 but I will never own another bmw out of warranty.

You've got to worry about:
-interior trim cracking
-window seals coming unglued (they finally fixed this)
-hvac panel failing
-alternator failing twice
-coils going bad
-plastic cooling system components failing
-muffler hangers tearing
-dimming mirror failing
-sub-frame issues
-front strut tower issues
-oil leak from constant pressure valve

off the top of my head

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^God that's gotta be the dumbest feature I've ever seen. I love my e46 but I will never own another bmw out of warranty.

I almost broke one of those arms when getting into a student's M3, and I quickly reached for the seat belt like usual.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh, this is sad, I was just hoping for the better since I consider myself a loyal bimmer fanatic. I have been reading about the problems with the E92 M3 from owners over at M3Forum and was hoping for optimism. The only other cars I could substitute are the Cayman or 997 911 and if I am going to buy a Porsche I will have to wait 2 more years. I like to be proactive though, so that's fine. So Jet and AY, what do you guys think of these two aforementioned cars. I know nothing about Porsche reliability....And Jet, what cars are you looking at upgrading to (I know I can't afford what you have in mind; however, I am curious) Tia......

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I almost broke one of those arms when getting into a student's M3, and I quickly reached for the seat belt like usual.

lol8[1].gif

Rocks if you have your heart set on the e46 m3 I would get one of the latest examples produced (ie 2006) you can find as the minor annoyances have mostly been fixed by superceded/updated parts such as the dimming mirror, window seals, alum trim, newer alternators by diff manufacturers, newer climate control panels, ERA coils etc but cooling system issues which aren't a big deal and subframe/strut tower issues will be a cloud over your head no matter what.

I have no plans to change cars as of yet and plan on driving my e46 until the wheels fall off. I am no porschephile like my friends but when the time comes probably a next gen gt3.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rocks
The only other cars I could substitute are the Cayman or 997 911 and if I am going to buy a Porsche I will have to wait 2 more years.

I have a Cayman, and I love it. It is not without its issues, but of all the sports cars you can buy, Porsches tend to be one of the more reliable ones. Be aware that the Cayman just underwent a significant engine change, so you may want to wait that out.

These are the E46 issues I've had in about 120K of driving and maybe 5K of track time:

- coolant thermostat x2
- door lock actuator on driver's side died
- 1 fuel sender died
- falling interior trim
- suspension bushings dying (control arms and rear shock mounts)
- rear subframe failure
- moonroof plastic cartridge broke
- exhaust valve position sensor died

I preemptively replaced the water pump with a Stewart EMP, which is supposedly unbreakable, and the RSMs with Ground Controls. The shocks and springs have been replaced for a while now, but those die after a while on any car. There've been a couple of random bulb failures, mostly indicator lights burning out. My VANOS seals probably need to be replaced, but I haven't gotten around to that. I'm crossing my fingers for my radiator as it's still the original one. Oh yeah, someone stole the roundel off my hood once, so that's been replaced.

An M3 uses different components, and you may see different kinds of failures related to the engine and suspension. Anyway, the E46 is a lovely car, and for me worth the trouble of spending maybe $1K/year to keep it going.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money but want a fun ride, try to find a low-mileage E36 M3, or one that's been restored to factory condition suspension and engine. It's one of the best balanced cars you can get with no mods, and its failure points are well-known and relatively easy to fix.

--Andre

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I crazy for thinking about getting a '04-'06 E46 M3 while still in grad school? There is everything right with this car and for what it is, I haven't seen terrible reports of problems in the later generations. I'm been perusing bimmerfest for info.

EDIT: The subframe issue is a problem for all E46 cars right? Not just the M?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Am I crazy for thinking about getting a '04-'06 E46 M3 while still in grad school? There is everything right with this car and for what it is, I haven't seen terrible reports of problems in the later generations. I'm been perusing bimmerfest for info. EDIT: The subframe issue is a problem for all E46 cars right? Not just the M?
I think it's a great looking car, and will be through the years. I know nothing of its reliability though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads