• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitar and amp purchase

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, how about a couple/few songs that I like the sound of? That should help pick my equipment?

Israel's Son by Silverchair.
Machinehead by Bush

No, neither of those songs are going to earn me cred with the music snoot crowd, but they don't strike me as hard to play and are catchy.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
can't diss that, but I'd go for a Strat personally. But, it's completely a personal preference.

Strats have a longer scales than LPs, so that might be a good idea if he has big hands, but if he likes the sound of the LP, then nothing could be more different. In general, LPs work very well with traditional Marshall amps, but I don't know anything about that newfangled one that gomestar linked to.

I have very large hands, but I have never played a guitar that was too short though. I don't know which, LP or Strat, is more girthy.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Gavis Rossdale of Bush used a series of guitars and amps. I know a mix of Fender/Gibson guitars and Fender/Mesa amps, go figure.

You could pull it with a strat and marshall or a gibson and marshall w/o any problem.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Strats have a longer scales than LPs, so that might be a good idea if he has big hands, but if he likes the sound of the LP, then nothing could be more different. In general, LPs work very well with traditional Marshall amps, but I don't know anything about that newfangled one that gomestar linked to. I have very large hands, but I have never played a guitar that was too short though. I don't know which, LP or Strat, is more girthy.
yes, 21 vs. a 22 or 24 on the LP (I forget). For Fenders, a huge variety exits of necks, from chunky (early 50's especially), to Vs (late 50's I believe) and C's (early 60's, my personal favorite
wink.gif
). Girthy is all relative, I find skill and style is far more important than the neck. I wouldn't worry about fingers too much, big guys play LP's too.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Okay, how about a couple/few songs that I like the sound of? That should help pick my equipment?

Israel's Son by Silverchair.
Machinehead by Bush

No, neither of those songs are going to earn me cred with the music snoot crowd, but they don't strike me as hard to play and are catchy.

Marshall for sure. Re: the tube screamer, it is more of an overdrive pedal. Fender amp + OD pedal gets you more into blues land. For the music you like, I'd look more at a real distortion pedal. The Marshall overdrive channel(s) may be enough for you if you can crank it. I would get the amp and get the pedal later if you think you need it.

Machinehead is an awesome tune.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, 21 vs. a 22 or 24 on the LP (I forget).

For Fenders, a huge variety exits of necks, from chunky (early 50's especially), to Vs (late 50's I believe) and C's (early 60's, my personal favorite
wink.gif
). Girthy is all relative, I find skill and style is far more important than the neck.

I wouldn't worry about fingers too much, big guys play LP's too.

pr_zakkwylde2.jpg

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gavis Rossdale of Bush used a series of guitars and amps. I know a mix of Fender/Gibson guitars and Fender/Mesa amps, go figure.

You could pull it with a strat and marshall or a gibson and marshall w/o any problem.

Mesa would be ideal +1. But out of his range which I'm sure he could easily expand. Just lay off the foie for a couple months.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
The Marshall overdrive channel(s) may be enough for you if you can crank it.

the Marshall OD channels w/ a humbucker laced LP should be more than enough. Those things can push huge power into the amp and the OD will certainly be in heavy metal range. I never left the clean channel from my DSL, too much for the sound I was looking for. A tube screamer or fuzz was more than enough even with my Fenders.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Mesa would be ideal +1. But out of his range which I'm sure he could easily expand. Just lay off the foie for a couple months.
you know I have never been completely sold on Mesa. It's odd. I have owned a Mark I and a Triple rectifier (major eff with the OD), but always went back to Marshall or Fender. Always. Did Marshall ever make a 1X12 50W of the DSL series? I think with the TSS or something, but I'm not sure about the DSL. That, IMO, would be the amp to seek. Or even a Jubilee combo. And Zach Wilde (sp) is exactly the person I had in mind with that post.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That's the guy that plays(ed?) with Ozzy? Yeah, looks like a Viking on stage.

Comments on the pickups that LP I linked to comes with? Will I need to replace? Is there a model that will give me gold hardware and MOP inlays? Are they doable at the luthier's?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Comments on the pickups that LP I linked to comes with? Will I need to replace? Is there a model that will give me gold hardware and MOP inlays? Are they doable at the luthier's?

the pickups will get the job done just fine. More than just fine, don't replace.

There might be LP's with gold hardware, but don't fret about it. The gold always wears. The inlays even on the $2600 LP will still be their 'pearloid'. I think even the original '59s had acrylic inlays. I'm sure a skilled person could put in MOP, but IMO don't bother. They're just inlays. If you want fancy then get a PRS.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
the pickups will get the job done just fine. More than just fine, don't replace.

There might be LP's with gold hardware, but don't fret about it. The gold always wears. The inlays even on the $2600 LP will still be their 'pearloid'. I think even the original '59s had acrylic inlays. I'm sure a skilled person could put in MOP, but IMO don't bother. They're just inlays. If you want fancy then get a PRS.

Great, thanks for the advice. So if I make the move, just get the LP Studio and get on with things?

I'm going to go look into finding a teacher this weekend or next week. I have to decide if I want one by my house or one I can shoot to during the work week. The work week is a local guitar center, so I might lean there. I'm going to go price the same guitar there too, as I do like to buy local if the price is not out of line. It usually pays back down the road.

I'll do a few months with that Ibanez semi-acoustic, then probably score some equipment over the summer. I like to have what I plan to buy sorted out well ahead of time.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
yeah the LP studio will be just fine. Check them out and price them at Guitar Center, but I would never buy one from GC. Find a local store instead that can match prices (not that GC has great prices) or have one shipped from Musicians Friend or zZounds. Because of GC's liberal "hands on" policy, the guitars are often in terrible condition and IMO are effectively used guitars for new prices. They're poorly set up, have fredboards loaded with grease and grime, etc.

I always bought everything local, no matter how standard or rare and they always took care of me in the end. They even sourced me my '62
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Doh! The place by work is a GC. Okay, rule them out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads