• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma77

Reaction score
I have the regular cork sole on mine, which is very light, but not very much traction. The 'plantation crepe" sole on these Aldens from Context seems to be an ideal balance between lightness and traction.

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by todot62
If one were to resole their Indys and wanted to end up with a lighter weight boot while still maintaining the look, what would be the sole of choice ?

Thanks,
Tod

Why mess with perfection? I don't know about weight issues but to me they look best with either commando or double leather.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
What would I use to polish the Alden x J Crew waxed longwings?
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8582/18582.jsp

OK, I almost went off on you because really, this is not that great of a question, but I will answer.

What you use to polish them depends on your goal. If you want them to maintain the color a tan or similar to lighter brown wax with the occasional leather cream thrown in to keep the leather moisturized. If you want them to darken a little use a darker brown wax and a leather cream that is close to or lighter than the shoe. If they were not so light I may even be tempted to stray from the brown family but in this case I would only use a darker brown and maybe, just maybe a black wax every 10-13 polishings.

Use a T-Shirt to apply and brush off the excess. I looked at the description but I cannot figure out how shoe care for these shoes would be different from any other leather shoe.

Arizor

Reaction score
edit: Sorted out crazy customs charge, just as suspected, they'd put the decimal in the wrong place. Received the shoes, went half a size smaller than my usual size as it was the only one they had in stock other than a 7 month wait. They fit *just* a little tight around the area where the tongue meets the vamp. Any advice on how to open up the leather a little, stretch it out a bit? Would using shoe trees at a slightly larger size help? edit2: Now with photos. Sorry for slight blur, damned iphone.
side.jpg
side2.jpg

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by todot62
If one were to resole their Indys and wanted to end up with a lighter weight boot while still maintaining the look, what would be the sole of choice ?

Thanks,
Tod

deadlift1.jpg

Squat-2.jpg

michelin_li

Reaction score
So if I'm a 9D in the Barrie last (Chukka boot) should I go for a 9.5D in the Tom last (Long wingtip)?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arizor
edit: Sorted out crazy customs charge, just as suspected, they'd put the decimal in the wrong place.

Received the shoes, went half a size smaller than my usual size as it was the only one they had in stock other than a 7 month wait.

They fit *just* a little tight around the area where the tongue meets the vamp. Any advice on how to open up the leather a little, stretch it out a bit? Would using shoe trees at a slightly larger size help?

edit2: Now with photos. Sorry for slight blur, damned iphone.

Glad you worked it out! Those are sweet boots, but I think you would appreciate them more if you paid $600 in taxes for them.
lol8[1].gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michelin_li
So if I'm a 9D in the Barrie last (Chukka boot) should I go for a 9.5D in the Tom last (Long wingtip)?
I do not know what the Tom last is. Do you have a link to the shoe? Barrie's will all be 9D for you no matter the model. Longwings, Split Toes, PTB's. So shoe model is not important. Last is.

Arizor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Glad you worked it out! Those are sweet boots, but I think you would appreciate them more if you paid $600 in taxes for them.
lol8[1].gif

Cheers mate. Haha, absolutely, I'd definitely be appreciating them more!

Michelin, I've never heard of the Tom last. Can you provide a link?

mikesduc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arizor
edit: Sorted out crazy customs charge, just as suspected, they'd put the decimal in the wrong place.

Received the shoes, went half a size smaller than my usual size as it was the only one they had in stock other than a 7 month wait.

They fit *just* a little tight around the area where the tongue meets the vamp. Any advice on how to open up the leather a little, stretch it out a bit? Would using shoe trees at a slightly larger size help?

edit2: Now with photos. Sorry for slight blur, damned iphone.

side.jpg

side2.jpg

What shoe is that? It looks just like my AF79 but with blind eyelets. As for your question: If it is just a "little" tight, you will get some stretch through normal wear because that is a high pressure point. If it is really firm you will probably end up in B&S. Hopefully not.

Arizor

Reaction score
It's the AF79 from Alden of Carmel mikesduc, but you're right, the AoC website picture differs from my ones in regards to the eyelets.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I have been waiting for minimal sun to take pics. I have been working from dark until dark and it has been overcast but today I took some new stuff out for pics. First up, White Suede Saddle's:

whitesaddle4.jpg

whitesaddle3.jpg

whitesaddle2.jpg

whitesaddle1.jpg

whitesaddle5.jpg

Not sure how useful these will be to me so if anyone wants them for $275 shipped conus let me know. 10D Barrie last, not seconds, blah, blah,blah. I have not treated them yet and they are whiter than they appear in the pics. I may have to get a Seersucker suit just for these.
blush.gif

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love those AF79 with the blind eyelets.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a pair of 405s but I have no idea how to size em. I'm a 9.5 in clarks, 9 in chuck taylors and my sizing really varies on the brand. What other alden shoe/last could i try on to get a comparable fit to 405s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads