• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede Jacket - MTM jacket pics added

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 4/20 My bomber jacket arrived today and here are some rather crappy pictures. My wife was not at home and it's not easy to take pictures of oneself with a heavy DSLR. In the first 2 pictures it seems as if the jacket is tight at the waist but it is not so in real life. I think it looks like that because of the ribbing at the bottom. The jacket is very comfortable in all areas. The suede is really nice and as soft as butter.
COmp3.jpg
COmp4.jpg
COmp5.jpg
COmp6.jpg
UPDATE 4/16 I have been informed by TOJ that my MTM suede jacket is ready and here is a pic. Will post some pics when it arrives
b8wc5d.jpg
UPDATE 3/31 Final question, I promise I just placed an order with TOJ to make a suede bomber like the first pic in the same color. Now I a having second thoughts whether this color suede will work with raw jeans and charcoal trousers. The trousers are fitted by MC standards. In case you think that this will not work, which of the 3 colors whose pics are given would you recommend. The one that I have specified.
leon_winter_10.jpg
Option 1
e0147787_1444282.jpg
Option 2 (in suede)
e0147787_23142171.jpg
Option 3 (the light colored one in front)
e0147787_140438.jpg
UPDATE 3/26 Pursuant to my search for a suede bomber, I have corresponded with TOJ and they are willing to make the jacket for a very reasonable price. Anyone here have any experience with TOJ and if so how did you find their quality. The SWD crowd is ga-ga over TOJ but I am looking for experiences of MC members. The TOJ is going to cost me 550 USD, this one for sale in the B& S will cost be around 900 and ehaberdasher has one for 1200 USD. So which one to get ? Your thoughts would be appreciated Hi I am interested in buying a suede jacket similar to the ones in the pics below. These are from Cucinelli and Loro Piana and as such out of my budget. Please recommend some jacket similar to the ones below from a company like Schott i.e. mid-level in price but reasonably high quality. Best regards
l1.jpg
4352823619_66777c4dfd_o.jpg
4381595443_09244e7bff_o.jpg

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this at Orvis for 200 USD. ANy thoughts w.r.t. the quality ?

409FVB0cogn_lg.jpg

jackdaw

Reaction score
The jkt. from Orvis has a zipper, raglan sleeves, and diagonal handwarmer pockets. It's a suede version of an All-American el cheapo cotton windbreaker jkt. from 40 or 50 years ago--quite different from your magazine photos.

The first two photos you posted are nearly identical in cut, shoulders, button layout, pockets etc. to a jkt I bought at a no frills corner clothing store in Rome in the 80s. It was OK quality and very inexpensive. I had the feeling it was by Roman standards a non-fashion, ubiquitous utiltarian item. I think the ones you posted are sort of an ironic higher fashion reference to that.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a BALLY navy lambskin jacket like the first one. Bought it during sales (retail was 2K). They are a bit cheaper than Cucinelli or LP, but probably more difficult to find. Did you try Yoox (e.g Brian Dales in suede)? They have some leather jackets on sale now. The bomber jackets are really in fashion now, so you should find them at various prices.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
The style in the first photo is that of a 1920s era A-1 flight jacket rendered in suede. The A-1 was based on baseball warm-up jackets of the era with similar stand-up or curved knit collars.

The less refined contemporary versions may be found on militaria sites.

The suede versions are usually made by upscale Italian manufacturers, the exception being Polo's Asian made lamb suede ones of the '90s and early '00s. If PRL still proffers such they may now be of Italian make. The Asian made versions were perhaps $700ish. You might check Maus & Hoffman online, Davide Cenci ($$), Paul Stuart or The Tuttle Catalog. In fine reverse calf, deer, lamb or goat suede they ain't gonna be cheap unless found on sale. Most manufacturers would not bother with such expensive construction (some have bi-swing backs and complicated patch pockets) on relatively inexpensive leather.

You might also consider poking around the Fedora Lounge searching 'A-1'.

Bon chance.

(At $200 the Orvis G-9 type is probably pig suede, which is oft stiff and exhibits bristle pores .)

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're looking at two different jackets. I have a Ralph Lauren (pig) suede barracuda. Ebay has a bunch of them for $50, exactly like the Orvis. It's a great casual jacket, but it's thick, heavy, and warm. Strictly winter jackets, IMO.

OTOH, I've never touched a cucinelli, but it's obviously a fine butter-soft suede and has a totally different feel to it (I've handled the RL, Canali, Zegna, etc. counterparts to the cucinellis).

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have the same in light tan, brown, as well as a linen version. Quite a few Italian factories makes them, the most popular being Cinquanta.

P2136949.jpg

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments

Originally Posted by clausc
I have a BALLY navy lambskin jacket like the first one. Bought it during sales (retail was 2K). They are a bit cheaper than Cucinelli or LP, but probably more difficult to find.

Did you try Yoox (e.g Brian Dales in suede)? They have some leather jackets on sale now. The bomber jackets are really in fashion now, so you should find them at various prices.

Thanks for the link. I like the Brian Dales except the vertical pockets which seem to be almost on the chest. DOnt know how usable they are. Any idea as to the quality of Brian Dales stuff ? There is a lot of it on Yoox.

Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
(At $200 the Orvis G-9 type is probably pig suede, which is oft stiff and exhibits bristle pores .)

You are right. It is pig suede. The calf suede jackets are around 700 USd at Orvis.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Thanks for all your comments
Thanks for the link. I like the Brian Dales except the vertical pockets which seem to be almost on the chest. DOnt know how usable they are. Any idea as to the quality of Brian Dales stuff ? There is a lot of it on Yoox.

Sorry, no idea about Brian Dales. Some people from here bought some from Yoox. You can find this brand in Italy, do not know where it's made.

If you're more interested in Italian style and less on quality, you might check Massimo Dutti, they have something similar for about 400USD or less.

cmp1223

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
I have the same in light tan, brown, as well as a linen version. Quite a few Italian factories makes them, the most popular being Cinquanta.

P2136949.jpg

maomao, that is a great jacket. I searched for Cinquanta, but could not find anything. Would it be available online anywhere? Could you list some of the other manufacturers? Thanks.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aj_del, did you just inherit a few hundred thousand dollars or something?
confused.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
aj_del, did you just inherit a few hundred thousand dollars or something?
confused.gif

Why do you ask and what gave you that idea ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads