• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
I'm a slim 35/36S - suits in our size are rarely rarely to be found in the thrifts. Accept it and you shall become empowered.

I've literally found 2 or 3 sportcoats (not even full suits) that fit me well and they all were nasty polyester huge-lapelled pieces of crap like the link posted above, no offense. I've had better luck finding designer brands than something in my size
ffffuuuu.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is size 32, what color was the suit?
I may be able to put it to good use....Id trade you something for it.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF member walneal has a sale thread with 34/36 suits.

His shoes are my size (bought some) but the coats are all yours
smile.gif

gilbertkeith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
SF member walneal has a sale thread with 34/36 suits.

His shoes are my size (bought some) but the coats are all yours
smile.gif

Thanks for the reference!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
I have a friend who is size 32, what color was the suit?
I may be able to put it to good use....Id trade you something for it.

Well, it was a suit jacket to be precise, but I had thought I had seen the trousers in the pants section. It's navy with light blue stripes. Thin lapel, single hook vent. 2 btn front.

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GentlemanGeorge
AE Bentons, my size: $2.99
72e73dc0.jpg

Nice nasty weather shoe that look like they've never been worn!

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I agree that the price should be set at an acceptable level. Ebay is nothing like it used to be. Five years ago you could put a $1 start price on an item with a value of $50 and expect to get from $40 to $70. Now, that won't work. BIN may be the best way to go.

I agree. I listed a bunch of shirts staring at $.99 recently. Some went for over $20, but the necest of the bunch sold for $.99.

I haven't had much luck recently selling on B&S. I always try to list here first before I move the stuff to e-bay.

gilbertkeith

Reaction score
Today was decent. Scoped two places out. Spent $32. Tradition navy blazer. Probably from Sears a while back. Whatever. It fits me, and I don't have a cheapo navy jacket to abuse. This one fits my needs. 100% virgin wool. $5.99 Ralph Lauren Purple Label repp tie. This was tied and left hanging. The poor thing needs steaming. Someone must have really hated that tie! Hand made in England. $1.99 Land's End repp tie. Immaculate condition. $1.99 Aquascutum trench coat. Needs a few alterations, and a cleaning. Otherwise, its a terrific piece. $9.99 Levi's denim shirt. I've seen a few of these in sizes way too big. Today I found one in size small...It will still need taking in. Nice metal buttons though. $4.99 & one pair of vintage brogues. Really beaten up. They need some TLC. They seem to be part leather, part suede. $6.99 Pics coming soon. Maybe you can help me identify the shoes. The soles say they're made in Italy.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Update on this. I was at the same store today, didn't see the Bradleys in shoes any longer. Strolled around the shop for awhile, looked down as I was going by the glass case for the 'nice' stuff and lo and behold: the AE Bradleys stuffed in the cabinet. They will *never* sell those things. I laughed.

Originally Posted by AlanC
Thrift gripe/amusement today. I stopped by a shop spurred on by my recent Alden luck to find no Aldens, but rather a used pair of suede AE Bradleys that happened to be my (narrow) size. The soles were somewhat worn, but the previous owner had used insole inserts, which kept the interior clean. The Bradley is a nice looking shoe, figured I could use them for knocking about.

The handwritten price on the heel: 99.99. Now, I figure that's just a miswrite, and they are really only $9.99 (a standard price at that shop). I go to check out and am told, 'No, I think that must be the right price." I let him know I was not interested in them for that much (obviously). He calls over the girl working in the shop (both are just kids) to look at the price. She, too, is shocked, and decides to "call the person who knows all about nice shoes."

I'm very curious how this is going to turn out.

So she calls her brother who apparently is a shoe expert (although I learn he still lives at home). Allen Edmonds? Never heard of 'em. I am told he knows all the super expensive shoes. The check out guy vows to Google and find out about them.

I leave with no shoes.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several nice sport coats lately.
IMG_4504.jpg
On left, CP Company (Massimo Osti). 3B notch lapel Burnt orange windowpane on gray, brown and green ground. On right, a 2/1 d/b by Alexander Julian made in Italy, probably by Zegna. Julian was a master colorist, and designed the fabrics, taking advantage of Zegna's vertical integration. Can you count all the pastels?
IMG_4505.jpg
On left, a 80s modified trad: natural shoulder, welted seams, 3 roll 2, but slightly lower button point and ventless rear. Pink enough for you? On right, a 3b peak lapel AJ/Zegna. Again, fantastic colors. The latter coat came with an AJ linen pocket square, "Hand-rolled by the night watchman of Vittorio Solbiati," which you can see in the perfectly shaped barchetta patch breast pocket.
IMG_4506.jpg
Although the AJ cuts are slightly dated (early 80s, probaby) the fabric, make and coloring make them perfectly wearable, as well as collectors items. But since all the pictured coats are 40R, I think I'll keep them.

vinasity

Reaction score
Thrifted this vintage langrock coat today. If anyone is interested in this coat let me know. I live in FL so I wont get any use from it.
DSCN8979.jpg

DSCN8980.jpg

DSCN8983.jpg

DSCN8984.jpg

Also scored these:
Left Florsheim V-Cleat and Right Ferragamo Oxford.
DSCN8988.jpg

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinasity
Also scored these:
Left Florsheim V-Cleat and Right Ferragamo Oxford.
DSCN8988.jpg

Dayum! Love the Florsheims
inlove.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads