• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilbertkeith

Reaction score
Can I ask some of you to be on the lookout for really small suits? I'm a 34 jacket, and 30 waist. I figure if there are people thrifting all over the place they're bound to find something that fits me! I have hard luck.. I'm kinda joking. But it would be really sweet if anyone were to remember my pathetic size, and therefore, situation.
biggrin.gif
The smallest I've ever found is 38 that fits like a 36. I hate spending money on getting shoulders fixed. Costs a fortune and most tailor around here won't touch 'em.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some fun ties lately:
IMG_4465.jpg
The one on the left is cotton batik, the middle one is Indian silk, the one on the right is cotton.
IMG_4466.jpg
These are silk, from Yamato of Japan.
IMG_4467.jpg
I think these are from the early 50s. The one on the left is Sulka, and has a fascinating texture. These were all found in New York City.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChadHahn
You have to watch out pricing things too low. I had some pretty nice ties and I thought I was being smart starting my bidding at a dime. Yep, they all sold for a dime a piece. Most were bought by one person who wanted me to combine shipping. I really lost money on that one.

Now I at least start bidding at about what I paid for things. That way I won't lose any money. Didn't Ebay used to show what price auctions started at? That would be a helpful tool.

Chad

Yeah - I don't really ever start stuff too low, like .99. I do like you do and start it at what I paid, that way I at least get my money back. Plus, I've ended up selling stuff for a couple bucks and it just isn't worth it.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Yeah - I don't really ever start stuff too low, like .99. I do like you do and start it at what I paid, that way I at least get my money back. Plus, I've ended up selling stuff for a couple bucks and it just isn't worth it.

The fizz that was in the ebay market a few years ago is gone.

Bidding wars occur almost never.

Many noses pressed against the glass.

Those who bid often bid in the final moments. And even those who bid don't bid very aggressively.

In most cases, start the bidding at a price you can accept. Then if you get one bid, you're happy enough.

PS If you want to see opening bids of closed auctions, go to the listing page and check the bidding history of the item.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the price should be set at an acceptable level. Ebay is nothing like it used to be. Five years ago you could put a $1 start price on an item with a value of $50 and expect to get from $40 to $70. Now, that won't work. BIN may be the best way to go.

EBTX66

Reaction score
I wish the word would get out that eBay isn't the get-rich-quick goaldmine it used to be. I've been noticing that a particular section of my "route" has gone bone dry the last month or so. I found one Boggi sportcoat at a place but I caught it on a rolling rack they had just brought out from the stockroom. I just figured it was a particularly bad dry spell that had gone on a bit too long.

Well, I found out yesterday what it was: I've got an eBay flipper who's stumbled into my route. We've refered to them before as vermin and this guy was right out of central casting: short and dumpy, dressed in ratty jeans and dirty sneakers, and in serious need of a bath and a haircut. He stripped a place I was in yesterday in about 15 minutes. He was breathing right down my neck and even snagged a jacket I had set aside. I pointed out it was mine and he just shrugged his shoulders and threw it in his basket. I almost went seriously postal on that dude but for several reasons I just breathed deep and let it go. Plus, it just didn't feel right having a physical confrontation in a church charity over a $5 sportcoat. I spoke to the manager but she just shrugged her shoulders (and they wonder why violence is common: being reasonable and following the rules is useless).

I had a suit secretly snagged from my basket last summer but never something that blatant. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to control myself next time. That, and the fact the he's strip-mining my favorite places means I'll just have to create a new route. I just hope he doesn't make the millions he's dreaming of and he eventually loses interest.

gilbertkeith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
I wish the word would get out that eBay isn't the get-rich-quick goaldmine it used to be. I've been noticing that a particular section of my "route" has gone bone dry the last month or so. I found one Boggi sportcoat at a place but I caught it on a rolling rack they had just brought out from the stockroom. I just figured it was a particularly bad dry spell that had gone on a bit too long.

Well, I found out yesterday what it was: I've got an eBay flipper who's stumbled into my route. We've refered to them before as vermin and this guy was right out of central casting: short and dumpy, dressed in ratty jeans and dirty sneakers, and in serious need of a bath and a haircut. He stripped a place I was in yesterday in about 15 minutes. He was breathing right down my neck and even snagged a jacket I had set aside. I pointed out it was mine and he just shrugged his shoulders and threw it in his basket. I almost went seriously postal on that dude but for several reasons I just breathed deep and let it go. Plus, it just didn't feel right having a physical confrontation in a church charity over a $5 sportcoat. I spoke to the manager but she just shrugged her shoulders (and they wonder why violence is common: being reasonable and following the rules is useless).

I had a suit secretly snagged from my basket last summer but never something that blatant. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to control myself next time. That, and the fact the he's strip-mining my favorite places means I'll just have to create a new route. I just hope he doesn't make the millions he's dreaming of and he eventually loses interest.

I can't see that happening in Montreal. Seriously. That is horrible. I did laugh pretty hard, especially given his appearance.
facepalm.gif

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time lurker, but I have been thrifting for a couple of years. Seems like everyone is in a bit of a slump, hope things improve.

Charles Tyrwhitt shirt
I thought it would fit, but being fitted, it was a little tight. It will be in a the buy/sell forum

vinasity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RebelWithACause
Hello everyone, long time lurker, but I have been thrifting for a couple of years. Seems like everyone is in a bit of a slump, hope things improve.

Charles Tyrwhitt shirt
I thought it would fit, but being fitted, it was a little tight. It will be in a the buy/sell forum

^Welcome, I also found a Charles Tyrwhitt. I went to a couple Thrift shops I dont normally go to and picked this stuff up. Pants are zegna and Zanella.

DSCN8866.jpg

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went out to see what I could find:
BNWT Barbour quilted corduroy jacket in a olive, with brown collar and plaid lining
an awesome quasi grenadine Faconnable tie in tan with blue polka dots (all woven)
and a Hilton tie.
I have never seen a contemporary Hilton piece but this tie is amazing, very high level of craftsmanship and the silk is unreal.
its a basic tan and olive stripe.

Thats it....

vinasity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Went out to see what I could find:
BNWT Barbour quilted corduroy jacket in a olive, with brown collar and plaid lining
an awesome quasi grenadine Faconnable tie in tan with blue polka dots (all woven)
and a Hilton tie.
I have never seen a contemporary Hilton piece but this tie is amazing, very high level of craftsmanship and the silk is unreal.
its a basic tan and olive stripe.

Thats it....

Well at least you got out of your slump
smile.gif
smile.gif

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinasity
anyways I put them on eBay for $99 does that sound reasonible?
Yes.
I would also try the B&S board.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilbertkeith
Can I ask some of you to be on the lookout for really small suits? I'm a 34 jacket, and 30 waist. I figure if there are people thrifting all over the place they're bound to find something that fits me! I have hard luck..

I'm kinda joking. But it would be really sweet if anyone were to remember my pathetic size, and therefore, situation.

biggrin.gif

The smallest I've ever found is 38 that fits like a 36. I hate spending money on getting shoulders fixed. Costs a fortune and most tailor around here won't touch 'em.

That's a pretty small size, but I have noticed that if you search for a "mod suit" there are often smaller sizes. Some of the suits even seem wearable:http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-MOD-Navy...item5d281d17bc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads