• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Thanks Tez and Patrick. This thread suddenly became informative again.

Thx - more pics to follow when I complete the collection in a few weeks!!!

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
I needed a pair of winter boots, something with a lugged sole and waterproof. I looked hard at another pair of RMW's but in the end, I couldn't pass up the practicality and price of the Blundstones. I went with the original Blundstone 500's in stout brown, a lovely dark, dark, brown.

I think that to an extent is how many Australians see RMs vs Blunnies. To generalise somewhat Blunnies are a workers' /grunge/gardening/casual boot and RMs are the squatters boot. (I don't think RMs make a steel capped safety boot like Blunnies - I may be wrong)

That said, the first time I fell in love with RMs was seeing aboriginal stockmen wearing the cuban heels in South West Queensland.

In another way it can be said also that Blunnies are more Southern Oz and RMs more central /northern. Perhaps Blunnies spread from Tasmania where they were originally made over the sea and Northwards.

It's worth pointing out that in certain sub cultures and other places Blunnies are worn almost as frequently by women and children as by men.

The Tap Dogs manage to capture very succinctly the way Blunnies are worn by men in Australia.

This is the sort of look you still see everyday in the city and country.

1274.jpg

Wrigglez

Reaction score
blunnies are a work boot and rm's are considered a dress boot in victoria, not many use rm's as work boots in victoria.

LTM

Reaction score
Right again there FXH, except that I think I might have seen an RM safety boot. In SA we would draw your attention to Rossi Boots whose hiking boots are well regarded here as well as the safety and work boots. their website is worth checking out. the blunnies are all over the place though.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
The Tap Dogs manage to capture very succinctly the way Blunnies are worn by men in Australia.

This is the sort of in the city and country.

I didn't mean that Australian men tap dance their way through life - I meant that the way those Tap Dogs are dressed is able to be seen in the suburbs everyday.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LTM
In SA we would draw your attention to Rossi Boots whose hiking boots are well regarded here as well as the safety and work boots. their website is worth checking out. the blunnies are all over the place though.

I didn't mean to diss Rossi.
I just haven't noticed them mentioned here much.

I still have an old pair of brown Rossi Shearers boots. Which I must say look a lot nicer than the ones they sell today. Mine don't have those white soles or white stitching.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LTM
Right again there FXH, except that I think I might have seen an RM safety boot.

Yes you are right .

RM do make a safety boot.

B787 Kelly
Heavy Duty Safety Boot
Price AUS$235
Conforms to the Class 1 AS/NZS 2210.3 standard compliance
Lightweight, high strength Aluminum alloy toecap.
Anti-static
Soft polyurethane microcell midsole gives comfort and support
Oiled leather uppers
Leather lined
Comfort heel sock
Wide toes.
Dark Brown, Black
Sizes 6-13 (US7-14) Wide

Air cushioned shock absorption comfort sole.
Strength, durability and comfort.
Non sparking
Non static
Low temperature conductivity
Light weight
Oil / acid resistant
Rugged and durable.
Nourish with RM Williams Saddle Dressing

Rusty G.

Reaction score
I would like some help on picking up another pair of RMW's. . .I purchased a pair of Craftsman in black yearling from Austrailia Fair in San Francisco. I ordered a 9F, because I wear a 10C in AE shoes that offer the narrower fit. . .but can do with a D on some shoes.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting something a little longer (the RMW's feel a little short) and I probably should have ordered a 9.5, and I'm looking for something like a Edward Green "Smart Round" type toe. . .thus, I'm looking at either a Macquarie or Turnout.

Does anyone have any pictures side by side of the Turnout and Macquarie? What are the basic differences in the boots. I've looked through a number of pages on this thread, and saw that the forum special was a "Turnout", which has a narrow last, but I don't want a straight "round" end. . .I'm looking for something like Edward Green 82 last.

So, Turnout or Macquarie? What's the difference?

Thanks,
Rusty

Tidybeard

Reaction score
I had both - Turnout and Macquarie are very similar - both round toes but Macquarie is perhaps a little slimmer fitting. The toe on the Mac is also more pointed and elongated, although not by much.

fykchang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fykchang
Sorry, I am not sure where to post this message. I had to return a pair of RM William boots to Steve at Nungar due to size issue for an exchange. However, for the past few months I had not been able to get a response from Steve (he did confirm he had received the boots from me) as to when my exchange will be send out. Has anyone encounter this communication problem with Steve at Nungar? I hope he does not take my boots and not do anything with it - SATOR can you help? Thanks.
After my post about Steve at Nungar not responding to my inquiries, I was able to get his prompt attention and have everything resolved (I also received my boots with proper size).

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any numbers or markings on Williams boots to identify the model?

It seems the only way is to try to compare the boots to photos in the Williams catalogue. This works okay with the recognizable chisel toe models but gets tricky fast with the round toe models.

bradster66

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what insoles everyone wears in their boots. Probably varies greatly. I need a replacement pair of the red RM insoles but could just as easily get another type locally. Thanks in advance.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry for another fit question, but regarding the Forum Special on the front page, the sticky says:

For the kangaroo leather I would only use my Stock Standard Formula (AE PA size minus 0.5 and down two widths).

but just above that it says

2. The Standard Formula.

Order your usual AE PA size - just order exactly the same size number and width letter. For most people if you wear an AE PA size 10D, it means you just need to order a RMW Forum Special size 10D. Easy.

don't these say 2 very different things?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I think that to an extent is how many Australians see RMs vs Blunnies. To generalise somewhat Blunnies are a workers' /grunge/gardening/casual boot and RMs are the squatters boot. (I don't think RMs make a steel capped safety boot like Blunnies - I may be wrong)

That said, the first time I fell in love with RMs was seeing aboriginal stockmen wearing the cuban heels in South West Queensland.

In another way it can be said also that Blunnies are more Southern Oz and RMs more central /northern. Perhaps Blunnies spread from Tasmania where they were originally made over the sea and Northwards.

It's worth pointing out that in certain sub cultures and other places Blunnies are worn almost as frequently by women and children as by men.

1274.jpg

Interesting post. Thanks for the info.

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh

1274.jpg

Nah - shorts have to be waaay shorter for the full 'Strayan', surely?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads