• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plan my weekend in Manhattan

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One more thing on the music clubs, I'm 48, she's...well...younger but in the same general demographic, so 20-something bump and grind places won't really work.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
One more thing on the music clubs, I'm 48, she's...well...younger but in the same general demographic, so 20-something bump and grind places won't really work.

God, 48 sounds so old.

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
God, 48 sounds so old.

- B

It's ancient. Do you have some point grampa?

TEPLimey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
A "romantic" thing to do is go to something at Lincoln Center (opera, symphony, ballet, whatever) and then to Cafe Des Arists after. It is not a foodie temple by any means, but it is open very late and chicks dig it. Short walk, lovely setting. Then walk down CPW and CPS and 7th Ave (NOT 8th!) on the way back to your hotel.
Cafe Des Artistes closed last fall, FYI

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Had a very good meal at Il Buco last night. Average NY prices and a great atmosphere. For after your drink at PDT.

lefty

I am a big fan of Il Buco. Also Blue Hill.

For drinks - the cocktail thing was dying down a bit, but go early and have a bartender's choice at Little Branch. August also has great brunches.

Damn it, now I miss New York - I really need to move back.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Plano is in Texas and thus Kobe club bitches

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's ancient. Do you have some point grampa?

How out-of-towner is your date? If she is not as jaded as someone of your advanced age, I think that West Side Story and South Pacific are both good date shows.

Have you ever walked around Brooklyn Heights? That can be fun and interesting, and you could do brunch or lunch at the River CafÃ
00a9.png

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How out-of-towner is your date? If she is not as jaded as someone of your advanced age, I think that West Side Story and South Pacific are both good date shows.

Have you ever walked around Brooklyn Heights? That can be fun and interesting, and you could do brunch or lunch at the River CafÃ
00a9.png

- B

She's much hipper than I am (not a difficult standard to meet, really) and I have a Rogers and Hammerstein allergy for which there is no effective medication. West Side Story is a possibility (Sondheim is cool).

The website for the River Cafe looks amazing, but I'm wondering whether as a tourist I'm permitted to leave Manhattan. Do I need a special permit for that?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
She's much hipper than I am (not a difficult standard to meet, really) and I have a Rogers and Hammerstein allergy for which there is no effective medication. West Side Story is a possibility (Sondheim is cool).

The website for the River Cafe looks amazing, but I'm wondering whether as a tourist I'm permitted to leave Manhattan. Do I need a special permit for that?

The River CafÃ
00a9.png
is tourist-approved. Women especially love it. If you haven't been, you should go. The two best NYC restaurant views are from there and from Asiate at the Mandarin.

The City ballet just had a great all Robbins show, which including a suite of the West Side Story numbers. Unfortunately, you'll miss it...you might have won cool points with your date.

- B

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If not already suggested, consider late night drinks at Birdland on Friday or Saturday night. I have a few years on Plano and the room is fun, the drinks good, and the music can be wonderful.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
If not already suggested, consider late night drinks at Birdland on Friday or Saturday night. I have a few years on Plano and the room is fun, the drinks good, and the music can be wonderful.

This looks interesting too, and only about 3-4 blocks from the hotel.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An under-rated, IMHO, place for lunch would be David Burke's Townhouse. If you walked around the West Village and lower Chelsea, you could do lunch at Toqueville, another under-rated place. Both would be very pricey for dinner, but relative bargains for lunch.

Certainly walking around the EV is fun, the little shops all along the side streets from 11th to 6th between Avenue A and 2nd Ave are inteesting and women certainly seem to enjoy them. You could have dinner at a nice Argentinian-style steak house called Buenos Aires (on 6th between A & B) and finish by listening to Jazz at Bistrouge on 13th near Avenue A (check ahead for hours and line up).

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The City ballet just had a great all Robbins show, which including a suite of the West Side Story numbers. Unfortunately, you'll miss it...you might have won cool points with your date.

- B

The all Robbin program ends tomorrow, actually the opening piece Dances at a Gathering is more satisfying than the WSS.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
She's much hipper than I am . . . West Side Story is a possibility (Sondheim is cool).

Again, Marie's will fit the bill.

The place is a bona-fide dump. The bar is stocked like a low-class Bar Mitzvah. Now the CBGB's is closed, the bathrooms at Maries Crisis' are the WORST in the city. The liquor is watered down and I wouldn't drink from one of those glasses without rubbing purell on the rim.
But then the brilliant piano players begin and the crowd starts to get giddy and then some chubby tragic girl attempts a song from Sunset Blvd. and we all clap wildly even though we know we're only prolonging her agony. The next thing you know it's two AM and you are touched by the old-timers and inspired by the young kids and amazed at the skills of the pianist....and it's just great.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads