• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plan my weekend in Manhattan

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
You should definitely walk the Village. Start at Union Square (if you are there on a Saturday, walk around the green market). Then head East on 19th (which is known as block beautiful) and then down 2nd Avenue. Stop at Mud at 9th and 2nd for a cup of coffee (best in the City) and then start heading West (explore 9th Street btwn 1st and 3rd, 7th Street between 1st and 3rd (stopping in at Butter Lane for cupcakes) and then west on 7th (stopping in at McSorley's Ale House). Head West through Greenwich Village and Washington Square Park. Keep heading West to the W. Village and play around. Head over to Hudson River Park, up Commerce Street (Commerce is an amazing restaurant for a late lunch/dinner) and then up to the meat packing district (see the Gansevort Hotel, Pastis, the 14th St. shops, etc.). Then walk up the High Line (at 14th and 10th Ave.). These are just some of the highlights - there is nothing like spending a day in the Village.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably the wrong part of town, but have you ever been to the Frick? It's one of my favorite museums. Kind of an odd collection to be sure, but it's intimate, relaxing, and otherwise worth the visit.

I always recommend Freeman's restaurant to people. The food is pretty good IMO, it's casual, and there is something quintessentially New York about "theme" restaurants. You can probably get good trout in Texas, but where else in NYC can you get really good pan fried trout? The forced authentic non-authenticity of the place somehow adds to the charm. Also, it's got a lively bar scene.

Vodka sampler at Pravda is fun, but make them swap out the potato vodka shot for something else. Pravda is a sort-of cheesy Disneyland-esqe representation of a Russian train station, but it's a fun scene.

For authentic, if expensive, Russian food Samovar in the theater district is good. It's a russian restaurant so don't expect amazing service - if you get sort of indifferent service, that's a bonus.

In the village Momofuku is good.

ragdoll

Reaction score
If one were to go bigtime, Per Se or Eleven Madison Park? Or elsewhere?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ragdoll

Per Se is super big time at $275 a person. Reservations can be tough, too. Eleven Madison still has tough reservations, but at $88/person or $125 for the tasting menu, much more affordable. I've been to EMP a few times, and IMO it's one of the best resaurants in NYC. Other choices are Daniel, Jean Georges, Le Bernardin, Del Posto, or even Joel Rubachon (haven't tried, really want to try).

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ragdoll

Originally Posted by gomestar
Per Se is super big time at $275 a person. Reservations can be tough, too. Eleven Madison still has tough reservations, but at $88/person or $125 for the tasting menu, much more affordable. I've been to EMP a few times, and IMO it's one of the best resaurants in NYC. Other choices are Daniel, Jean Georges, Le Bernardin, Del Posto, or even Joel Rubachon (haven't tried, really want to try).

Really looking to mediumtime it this trip. She always insists on sharing. That said, $125pp would not be out of the realm of possibility. I really don't want a formal atmosphere though. Elegant, but relaxed is more the thing. The atmosphere at Park Avenue Autumn on our last trip there was right in the sweet spot of what I'm looking for.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Villiage, High Line, and the Meatpacking district are good for crazy walking, but they all might be less enjoyable when it is mucky and the people-watching is not so good. If you are on St. Marks in the Villiage, cocktails at PDT might be amusing. http://newyork.citysearch.com/profil...rk_ny/pdt.html ~ H

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Really looking to mediumtime it this trip.

L'Ecole.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had a very good meal at Il Buco last night. Average NY prices and a great atmosphere. For after your drink at PDT.

lefty

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
Best coffee house in NYC. Check hours before heading there, though. Austrian-type cafe, very decent food and coffee served on silver platters. 1/2 tourists from the museums who've found out about the place, 1/2 NYCers of the illiteratti type.

And the maitre'd was one of the Sartorialist's early subjects!

Originally Posted by GQ Lawyer
You should definitely walk the Village. Start at Union Square (if you are there on a Saturday, walk around the green market). Then head East on 19th (which is known as block beautiful) and then down 2nd Avenue. Stop at Mud at 9th and 2nd for a cup of coffee (best in the City) and then start heading West (explore 9th Street btwn 1st and 3rd, 7th Street between 1st and 3rd (stopping in at Butter Lane for cupcakes) and then west on 7th (stopping in at McSorley's Ale House). Head West through Greenwich Village and Washington Square Park. Keep heading West to the W. Village and play around. Head over to Hudson River Park, up Commerce Street (Commerce is an amazing restaurant for a late lunch/dinner) and then up to the meat packing district (see the Gansevort Hotel, Pastis, the 14th St. shops, etc.). Then walk up the High Line (at 14th and 10th Ave.). These are just some of the highlights - there is nothing like spending a day in the Village.

If you've got nice weather this would be a great day (although I'd quibble about Mudspot being the best cup of coffee in the city
eh.gif
). Take a peek at Oleg Cassini's townhouse on block beautiful. No. 28 has a new pizzeria on 2nd & 12th (real Neapolitans!) McSorley' is a great spot on a quiet afternoon - read some Joseph Mitchell in preparation. North Square is a nice spot for dinner right on Washington Sq. - for mature audiences - good food & quiet. For museums, the Morgan Library is a good spot, too (Madison/upper 20s). I love Chelsea Market (under the Highlione). but the last few times we've been it's been insane - again, best on a quiet afternoon.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always like dropping in to MOMA on Friday nights. Because it is free it has some of the very best people watching in NYC. Lots of art students, old couples, creative types heading out for an evening, etc. It makes an fun impulse drop-in on the way to dinner or drinks if you are in the area.

It may sound corny but my wife is a total sucker for a buggy ride around the park. Again, it is an enjoyable impulse thing to do if you are in the area.

untilted

Reaction score
for casual lunch that is tasty and gourmet, i'd go with Perry St. They do lunch/brunch seven days a week. 24/pp for 3 courses + amuse bouche. i like it a lot better than other jean Georges lunch options such as the nougatine or the JG formal dining room ($28 two course). Was not impressed by JG formal dining room. Maybe i need to get the full tasting for the true experience.

have you guys been to Katz? it has world class pastrami sandwiches. You would want to experience them if you haven't.

For formal but not crazy expensive dinners, i think EMP really serves its purpose, beautiful dining room. I'm going there for the 11 course gourmand soon and simply can't wait. Casa Mono has great tapas, it is also 1 michelin star. Gramercy tavern ($80ish) not crazy expensive either and reservation not that hard to get...what about some steak at Peter Luger's? and also look into River Cafe ($99) in brooklyn. i have never been but check out the website. the view is simply beautiful.

if you guys are into late night munchies and drinks at french bistros, there are some excellent ones in nyc.

are you guys into sushi? some really great places for sushi in nyc.

for night life, you can check out some wine bars and champagne bars in the city!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK guiz. I've probably got more restaurant recommendations that I can reasonably handle considering we've only got two dinners and one lunch to fill. Thanks for these recommendations and I'll start taking a look at them. I already have one reservation, which I may or may not keep/cancel between now and then.

Moving on: What about live music bars? Smoky (or, preferrably not) jazz and gin joints that can only be found in Manhattan or Paris. Surely you guiz have some of those. A place I can walk her to after dinner for drinks and to make me look like I'm in the know.

Suggestions?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Moving on: What about live music bars? Smoky (or, preferrably not) jazz and gin joints that can only be found in Manhattan or Paris. Surely you guiz have some of those. A place I can walk her to after dinner for drinks and to make me look like I'm in the know.

Suggestions?

you're in luck! smoking outlawed years ago. will depend on your musical preferences:

village vanguard
lakeside lounge
mercury lounge

conne knows the piano bars.....

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Arthur's Tavern on Grove - small, dingy and great music. Cash only.

If too packed (and it will be) go to Marie's Crisis Cafe, the piano bar next door. It will be a thing.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads