• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi 514 Selvedge

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can you get 505s in STF?

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
They are.

I've always been told that too but i've always doubted it. There are some diffs, IMO. 505 seem a bit more tapered and the top yolk is better fitting.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agree. Never quite liked the way 505s fit on me for some reason. But 501s are spot on. The other problem is I've never found 505s in STF.

scout233

Reaction score
Regarding the 505's... I have been on a quest for the perfect fitting levi's for some time now, and have learned a few things. The 505's do not have the built in "forward tilt" that the 501's have. I think that is the reason many of us say they fit differently when you try to compare them to your 501's. From what I remember, the cut is level across the top.

I think i am going to order a pair of those 514's.. I have more of an athletic build.. and have to get a 36 waist in 514's to fit in the thighs and back--usually I wear a 34 waist. It leaves a little gap above ******.. but i fix that with a belt. Little price to pay for slimmer than normal cut else where.

Will post with my impressions.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aspen20
It's not just you. I find it too low as well. Now if only I could find a decent pair of jeans with the cut (and price!) of the 514, but with the rise of the 505...

same, the rise is just too low on mine, but the legs are perfect imo. if i could just have another inch, maybe two on the rise, i'd be happy.

do I measure the rise from the seam at the crotch? if so, my size 30's measure in with exactly a 9" rise. if i measure from the bottom of the crotch when they're laying flat up to the top, they're exactly 10"

a-rock

Reaction score
Few yrs back I took a pair of 505s to my tailor. Just had to get it in a bit from the outseams around the thighs to remove that upside down Dad jeans pear shaping. Can't remember if he had to do anything in the back. But anyway the result was great and still I love the pair even though I prefer a dark wash and these things are all beaten up and totally faded. I bought a pair of 514 and also have the Gap selvedge in authentic and standard fit (sized down). I still end up reaching for my tailored 505s.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
do I measure the rise from the seam at the crotch?

Yep. Measure front and back rise from the center of the 'X' at the bottom of the crotch to the top of the waist.

Maybe it's just because I've worn low-rise jeans for the past few years, but I think the 514 has the perfect rise.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Yep. Measure front and back rise from the center of the 'X' at the bottom of the crotch to the top of the waist. Maybe it's just because I've worn low-rise jeans for the past few years, but I think the 514 has the perfect rise.
i think it would probably be good for me too if i had ordered the right size when i bought them. i got 30's, where i probably should have bought 31's or 32's, i just soaked the wasitband and jammed reams of paper in it to stretch them out to the right size. got like 1.5 or 2 inches out of them i think. my brother has a few pairs of 514's in 34 (far too big for me) and the rise is alot nicer. if i could add like an inch or two to the rise, i think they'd be perfect, haha.

Vistro

Reaction score
I went into my local Levi's store last night looking for the selvage 514, no dice. I did end up leaving with some "rigid" 514s (made in Mexico) which fit well. My first pair of Levi's in years and I'm very happy with the cut.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vistro
I went into my local Levi's store last night looking for the selvage 514, no dice. I did end up leaving with some "rigid" 514s (made in Mexico) which fit well. My first pair of Levi's in years and I'm very happy with the cut.

If anyone in Montreal is diggin these 514 selvage babies, I did spot them in both the Levi's stores in Eaton Center and Carrefour Laval. Seemed nice, but look identical to the 514 Imprint pair I bought last Spring.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably too early to tell, but how do these compare to 501 STFs?

I like the denim used in 501STFs but for me their rise is too high. These look like they would be a better fit, but I don't know if they will wear as quickly. Any insight?

scout233

Reaction score
Marineabilly-

Did you receive your 514's? I checked out your blog, very cool!! Now I have a ton of questions about how to find a good pair of engineer boots! lol

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
It's probably too early to tell, but how do these compare to 501 STFs?

I like the denim used in 501STFs but for me their rise is too high. These look like they would be a better fit, but I don't know if they will wear as quickly. Any insight?

Totally different denim. I have 4 pairs of 501STFs and some rigid 514s (not selvedge) and they are very different from my new 514S (which I really like). Worn them maybe 10 times now. Love them but I don't have a ton of experience with selvedge.

marineabilly

Reaction score
Okay - I received my 514's this afternoon. I have to say I'm in LOVE with them!!!! I'm going to post a review on my BLOG.

I'm wearing them now as I type with two different boots on. I know I'm not the only one who makes sure jeans/pants look good with various shoes/boots
bounce2.gif

I'm so very busy tonight - I just got my Deke Dickerson Hallmark Guitar and you guitar players out there know how hard it is to put her down.

If not tonight, then my review will be posted tomorrow. Be sure to check my BLOG for it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads