• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenimDan

Reaction score
Nothing too impressive but I found some mint heritage fit Penguin Polos and a nice Corduroy Dior jacket recently.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found some nice things at a local thrift yesterday but the prices were jacked. Very nice cream colored Lanvin sport coat with lots of hand work, but $30. Navy RL pima cotton sweater in my size and in good shape, but $15. Navy Asquatum suit, but $30 (and slacks had some fraying along one pocket edge that didn't take a repair). Nail head Norman Hilton suit with tiny mothhole on sleave, but $30. Had to say no on everything.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
Bought these tie for $1.50 each...

Were they a good buy?

img4823k.jpg

img4827p.jpg

img4828j.jpg

img4829u.jpg

Nope. The PC is ok, but the other tie is worthless.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by politico
I went for the first time actually today.

Went to 2 thrift stores. One had some nice blazers that were either too big or too small, and I got the hit at the next one.

Sometimes it's just luck. I'd try to avoid the teenage hipster "thrift" stores and go to goodwill, or older thrift stores attached to charities. Wealthier people getting rid of nice things want that tax write off.

95% of thrifts are linked charities behind the scenes, most though, are for profit businesses. Its quite a racket if you research it.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinasity
I passed up some brand new Florisheim Imperial brown wingtips in a size 8.5 for $30. Do you think I should have bought them for resale?

If they are vintage V-cleat longwings, yes. Otherwise, no.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to go back and buy them, what do you think?

DSCN8535.jpg

DSCN8534.jpg

DSCN8536.jpg

Great condition!!

Exit English

Reaction score
I decided to go back and buy them, what do you think?

DSCN8535.jpg

DSCN8534.jpg

DSCN8536.jpg

Christ if those were my size I would have bought them off you right away.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Today...was...AWESOME!

#1 - Ghurka expediter for $7. It's black, and a little rough. It needs reconditioning, and the double layered leather at the seams has worn through in a couple spots. I would have preferred a brown one, but it's a Ghurka.
smile.gif

#2 - Florsheim burgundy Shell longwings. Does the sizing run different on these? I was bummed at first because I wear a 9.5 in the calf longwings, but I tried these on and they fit. I compared the two when I got home and they are almost the exact same size(within a couple millimeters).

Additionally I picked up two pair of BB pants, a LL Bean ranger belt, a jcrew glenplaid vest, and a BNIB XFX 640mb Geforce 8800gts for $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads