• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Can you stop doing ticket pockets? They're bugging the heck out of me.

I think that you should get ticket pockets retrofitted on your stuff.

- B

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you put in your ticket pockets, anyway?

Also, do you ever get suits with jetted pockets? Am I to assume that a jetted ticket pocket is a sort of ridiculousness to be avoided?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
What do you put in your ticket pockets, anyway?

That's where my cell phone usually goes if I'm not carrying a case.

Originally Posted by eg1
Also, do you ever get suits with jetted pockets? Am I to assume that a jetted ticket pocket is a sort of ridiculousness to be avoided?

The way that the flapped pockets are done on my stuff allow for the flaps to be tucked in just to show the jets, so the effect is the same. I sometimes do that if the mood strikes me.

- B

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever consider getting ticket pockets on both sides incase you encounter
foo.gif
and he has no place to keep his phone/tickets?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
Ever consider getting ticket pockets on both sides incase you encounter
foo.gif
and he has no place to keep his phone/tickets?

Maybe I should just carry a spare jacket.

- B

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
That's where my cell phone usually goes if I'm not carrying a case.

Seems as good a modern use as any -- isn't it a little tricky to reach whilst seated?

The way that the flapped pockets are done on my stuff allow for the flaps to be tucked in just to show the jets, so the effect is the same. I sometimes do that if the mood strikes me.

- B

I wish I had thought of this when I had my suits made up several years ago -- they were all jetted. The pain will be worst when they are orphaned, when they will be more than usually useless ...
ffffuuuu.gif

I only just switched over to flaps on a couple of flannel suits in the last two years -- mostly ordering sportcoats now anyway where all my pockets are flapped (pace the breast pockets).

Strange

Reaction score
[click photograph for larger size if you wish] Steed (Edwin DeBoise) SB 3 roll 2.5 bespoke suit in Lesser 9.5/10oz nailhead (for those of you who care, this is a model with the front cut) - B
I really like this. One of the best I've seen on this threak. Splendid accessorizing too.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should just carry a spare jacket. - B
If it's for
foo.gif
you may be able to keep it in your ticket pocket, too. ...and +1 on the suit and shoes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Seems as good a modern use as any -- isn't it a little tricky to reach whilst seated?

I've never noticed an issue.

Originally Posted by eg1
I wish I had thought of this when I had my suits made up several years ago -- they were all jetted. The pain will be worst when they are orphaned, when they will be more than usually useless ...
ffffuuuu.gif

I only just switched over to flaps on a couple of flannel suits in the last two years -- mostly ordering sportcoats now anyway where all my pockets are flapped (pace the breast pockets).

Why worry? I think jetted pockets on suits are quite nice.

- B

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Stupidly I made a bright blue cotton sportscoat with three patch pockets and a tuckable flapped ticket pocket a couple of years ago. Now to minimise the aesthetic damage of the ticket pocket I wear it with the flap tucked, which makes it look like it's jetted. It doesn't look good.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[click photograph for larger size if you wish]

Steed (Edwin DeBoise) SB 3 roll 2.5 bespoke suit in Lesser 9.5/10oz nailhead (for those of you who care, this is a model with the front cut)

- B

Great suit: great cut, great choice of cloth. I even like the ticket pocket. Not a fan of no-break trousers (too obviously contrived for me), but I suppose that when you walk around and wear them for a bit they do end up resting on your shoes a bit

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Great suit: great cut, great choice of cloth. I even like the ticket pocket. Not a fan of no-break trousers (too obviously contrived for me), but I suppose that when you walk around and wear them for a bit they do end up resting on your shoes a bit

smile.gif

The cuffs are resting on the shoes already...you can see the tiniest bit of break on the trouser line on the left.

Contrived? I'm unsure what you mean. It would be contrived for you, but since my habits are largely rooted in the American collegiate/Ivy style background, full breaking trousers would be rather (and literally) alien. There's got to be a bit of boyishness.

I'll trot this out again: this old G. Bruce Boyer quotation from Eminently Suitable summarizes what I like best:

"The English writer Arnold Bennett used to say that his tailor advised him that trousers should 'shiver' on the shoe but not break."

Exactly.

I'm not wearing suspenders today, so I suspect some imperfection of length will yet creep in from time to time during the day...
laugh.gif

- B

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif
Contrived? I'm unsure what you mean. It would be contrived for you, but since my habits are largely rooted in the American collegiate/Ivy style background, full breaking trousers would be rather (and literally) alien. There's got to be a bit of boyishness. I'll trot this out again: this old G. Bruce Boyer quotation from Eminently Suitable summarizes what I like best: "The English writer Arnold Bennett used to say that his tailor advised him that trousers should 'shiver' on the shoe but not break." Exactly.

Fair enough. I suppose this has something to do with globalisation. The more international style that is becoming increasingly prevalent (basically a cross of Caraceni and Henry Poole silhouettes, but closer to the former) makes anything more local stand out quite a bit -- but you're right that I'm viewing your pictures out of context. Another way to consider whether this looks contrived would be to think of it in terms of how difficult it is to achieve a good no-break trouser silhouette. Your trouser length, and consequently the waist fit, need to be right within 1/4 of an inch; whereas with a break there is a wider range of tolerable length/waist fit--which makes the wearer look more careless, in a good way (in my book, that is).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The quarters of that coat are too closed for Style Forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads