• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asobu
Also, the brand names matters a little bit because then we have some approximation on whether the pieces have interesting fabrics (as is often the case with schneider) or other "qualities", things that don't translate well in pics. It's not that it wouldn't look just as good without knowing the brands.

no kidding, so much of what makes good clothing desirable does not come through in online photos.

the corollary is that some clothing that looks decent on the internet is very disappointing in person. Mall brands are famous for this. Not being a snob, it is just the truth.

I know we have covered this before but it bears repeating.

ZZOOzzoo

Reaction score
Hello... Been lurking for a while.

dsc7159m.jpg
dsc7160v.jpg

Fred Perry
Alternative Apparel
Gap
Urban Outfitters
5cm
Ald...o (sigh)

jwied82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgoose
As a good Canadian boy it wasn't a glove vs fingerless gloves debate, but a gloves vs mittens debate.

And this was found to be the best solution for warmth vs dexterity http://www.amazon.com/Convertible-Mi.../dp/B001M9BSJK

I don't know if a designer version exists, but for cold hands with iPhones they work great.

Watch out though, alot of these ive seen have velcro to hold the flap back... terrible idea! the velcro would mess up the fabric on cuffs, especially knits.
Look for a pair with buttons instead of velcro.

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asobu
Whether it's terrific or not is obviously very subjective, but it's an all too common occurence on SF to claim that people like a fit to "make a stand", because it's "anti-fit", or whatever (exactly the same thing was sated during the max debacle earlier) -- like it's not possible to like it on its own merit. It's not like this is that much out there either. Also, the brand names matters a little bit because then we have some approximation on whether the pieces have interesting fabrics (as is often the case with schneider) or other "qualities", things that don't translate well in pics. It's not that it wouldn't look just as good without knowing the brands.
I dunno. I think the main purpose of clothes is to flatter the person wearing them (and to protect one from the elements, of course). If you want something that feels good, get a rabbit pelt and rub it against your face. I can appreciate nice materials and all, but even if I had the best cashmere with the longest fibers from the chiny-chin-chin of the most pristine goat on earth, what good is it (in terms of fashion) if it looks like an oversized blanket thrown over myself? If I wore a snuggie made from said cashmere, would you guys think I looked good? All though the proportions are there, and the fit doesn't look baaad by any means, if there were no labels, and if it wasnt Fuuma, I think people would give it a passing glance. But I really think this is a dead-end argument. I know you guys subscribe to Fuuma's sort of style, and I personally don't. I see where you are coming from, but in the end I personally don't think these imperceptible qualities justify the prices and I also don't think it looks good. Agree to disagree?

jaac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZZOOzzoo
Hello... Been lurking for a while.
Fred Perry
Alternative Apparel
Gap
Urban Outfitters
5cm
Ald...o (sigh)

I like this way better without the vest.

Fuuma looks cool, i think lighting isn't helping, makes it harder to make out the contrasting textures.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Money
I dunno. I think the main purpose of clothes is to flatter the person wearing them (and to protect one from the elements, of course).

There's two types of people posting aiming for 2 different goals:
1. people who aim to make themselves look good and thus try to wear flattering clothing.

2. people who like to express stuff in their clothing.

i go for category 1.

things like antifit definitely fall into category 2. I tend to understand this stuff better when it's exaggerated i.e. socal as opposed to max.

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
There's two types of people posting aiming for 2 different goals: 1. people who aim to make themselves look good and thus try to wear flattering clothing. 2. people who like to express stuff in their clothing. i go for category 1. things like antifit definitely fall into category 2. I tend to understand this stuff better when it's exaggerated i.e. socal as opposed to max.
I think that's a good way to put it. Some are in it for the utility, and some are in it for the art. And some are able to blend the two.

c00kz

Reaction score
I think some people aiming for 1. still satisfy 2. I mean, you express yourself and communicate to others through your dress without you actually sitting and thinking too hard on it, it naturally springs from your tastes and preferences or the subtleties which you care for. That sounds contrived. Theatrical expression is probably more of the out-there costumes which should be much more obvious.

simon626

Reaction score
So...this is my first post on this forum.
WAYWT just seems easiest haha.

New ass pair of Iron Heart 301S
White cotton tee
Diesel boots.

IH301S021010full.jpg

IH301S021010back.jpg

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
So the only way to look good is to wear slim pants with slim tops? Nice to know. Makes it easier for me now
No, not slim. Well fitting. If slim is well fitting, then yeah! If baggier is well fitting, then yeah!

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
So the only way to look good is to wear slim pants with slim tops? Nice to know. Makes it easier for me now

nah i didn't mean that 1 and 2 are mutually exclusive. there's no way you could solely go for 1 without influence from 2 or vice versa.

otherwise all the athletic guys might walk around in tank tops and be picked up by 18 year-olds.

taste comes into the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics