• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

brosnan6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
We're right, of course. You posted once before about some of this, right? Dry cleaning, as noted, is plain silly for jeans. Wash. Always soak new jeans for many reasons. They'll still be as dark and as stiff.

Crotch blowouts happen for numerous reasons, particularly the fit, but don't underestimate stiff or dirty denim for premature tears.

For new jeans, I'd recommend venturing into new territory (not Nudie), or get the Nudies but start thinking longer-term about some other more interesting denim. Nudie and APC are on the same level, imo.

Thanks. You're right -- I did post before but didn't get any replies even after a few bumps. Figured I'd wait a bit and try again.

I did end up washing them and they look great. Looks like the fades over the past 14 months have really set in. I used cold water and there was mild shrinkage, but they fit fine again after wearing them all day today.

Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Wash or don't wash- it really is up to you. I have pairs that I wash rather frequently and others that have never touched water. Wearing hard and not washing does compromise the life of the denim however- but washing frequently will decrease the contrast in fading.

I would stay far away from Nudie if you managed to blow out a pair of APC's. APC isn't great denim but it is tough for what it is- my friend blew out his crotch after 2 years doing activities like skating and hiking in them (all with no washes)... his Nudie's gave out in 3 months. Try Naked and Famous.

Crotch blowouts seem to follow me around regardless of the brand. Before I knew about "fine denim" I had two pairs of 7s that had the same problem. After learning about "fine denim" I attributed those blowouts to inferior quality, but I was quite surprised to find the same happen on my APCs last month.

I don't do any crazy sports or anything too wild in my jeans. I mostly wear them around the house and town, casual fridays at work, and when traveling on Sundays (travel 100% for work). Overall I'd say I wear jeans the equivalent of ~3 days/week, and I've only worn the APCs for the past year.
I'll look into the N&F as well, thanks.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bma
why? wouldn't it wash away some of the indigo therefore slow the fading process? (more specifically, i'm takling about apcs)

such as...?

First question: No, it won't wash away much of the indigo, and it definitely won't slow the fading process.

Second: if you're really curious about the intricacies of denim, Superfuture's denim forums have a number of amazing threads that will start to answer your questions. Superfuture is one of the original denim forums. Basic research and browsing will turn up lots of info, some of it conflicting.

bma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
First question: No, it won't wash away much of the indigo, and it definitely won't slow the fading process.

so what will it do?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bma
so what will it do?

It will wash away some of the indigo- removing dirt/grime/oils in the process. From my experience, it actually speeds up the fading process as I find jeans that have been soaked fade/lose indigo faster... however you lose some contrast from the soak because the indigo loss is all over.

SlamMan

Reaction score
Can someone recommended a pair of raw jeans with a fit similar to the Levi's 511s? I just picked up a pair in size 32/30 and I'm really happy with the fit. The Somet 008s measure close but I'm afraid the rise might be too low. Maybe something close to those with a higher rise. Preferably a low slub denim but I'm open to whatever.

bma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
It will wash away some of the indigo- removing dirt/grime/oils in the process. From my experience, it actually speeds up the fading process as I find jeans that have been soaked fade/lose indigo faster... however you lose some contrast from the soak because the indigo loss is all over.

why should you soak new jeans, then?

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bma

plain.gif

i dont mean to be rude but you are so darn lazy.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Rich & Skinny jeans from Denim Bar in Bethesda. I've searched the forum but see no reference to these jeans. I love them but was wondering what you guys thought of them.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recently bought some grey raw Japanese denim in a slim cut. How much of a fade can one expect from raw grey denim? I tried doing some searches and couldn't find an answer to this. I'm curious if it's going to be worth treating them like I would some indigo raws in the long term to try and achieve a fade. Thanks guys! Always appreciate the help!
bigstar[1].gif

bma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pronxs
plain.gif

i dont mean to be rude but you are so darn lazy.

i've just been asking one question this whole time =(

splattered

Reaction score
I posted this in the quick answers thread but no one said anything there... i got 3 pairs of raw jeans, one APC and two 3Sixteen. I have been wearing the APC and indigo 3Sixteen but the black 3Sixteen i left folded in my clost.

3 months later i decide to break in my black pair but discover that they smell like sulfur... REALLY strong. Like a burnt match. These arent the coated pair, just black dye... and they seemed to smell stronger over a period of a few days of unfolding them and moving them around. Wtf?

Well i wore em for a few hours, hung them outside all day and they still smelled... decided to hot soak them as i need them to shrink a little anyway... but they still smell.

What else can i do to get rid of the funky odor?

ubc121

Reaction score
I just received my slim jim dry japans and was wondering if I should hot or cold soak them.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I was about to ask the best way to get the wrinkles out since I was not planning on washing them for a while, but now I have discovered everyone is recommending a "soak" with brand new raw denim.

This is new to me, but I assume everyone means to soak them placed in a sink or bathtub, with no soap, for a few minutes then hang dry them? Cold water? That would solve my wrinkle problem, but I don't want to do anything that will limit the possible fading from them being raw or shrink them.

Iron them, throw them in the dryer on a low setting, etc. Jeans can get wrinkled in a soak, too. Wearing them helps.
Originally Posted by bma
You shouldn't.
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I recently bought some grey raw Japanese denim in a slim cut. How much of a fade can one expect from raw grey denim?
Black>grey>white. Since there isn't much contrast between grey and white you should have limited expectations.
Originally Posted by steviecakes
what other brands are there besides iron heart that have very very ridiculously heavy denim?
Naked & Famous.
Originally Posted by splattered
What else can i do to get rid of the funky odor?
Febreeze. Hang dry in the sun. Low setting dryer with fabric sheet.
Originally Posted by ubc121
I just received my slim jim dry japans and was wondering if I should hot or cold soak them.
If you're set on soaking, cold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads