• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes while flying...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Agree fully. And, I can be fully comfortable not dressing down. My one concession is slip-on shoes.
Same here. However, I usually wear longwings or wingtip high boots, but I can take them off or put them on easily while standing, although it does take an extra minute or so compared to slip-ons.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Same here. However, I usually wear longwings or wingtip high boots, but I can take them off or put them on easily while standing, although it does take an extra minute or so compared to slip-ons.

Derbies in general, especially suede, allow somewhat faster post-scan insertion of feet.

Elastic oxfords also have their virtues in that they allow slipping in with only a shoe horn (or old subway pass) for assistance. The downside is that they absolutely require that accessory.

jabreal00

Reaction score
I try to dress comfortably but not as a slouch. I wear layers because the temperature varies from the taxing to cruising altitude. I like wearing cargo pants (fitted) so I can store stuff.

----------------
Listening to: Everything But The Girl - Single
via FoxyTunes

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're flying who gives a **** what you are wearing. I always loving seeing people decked out in their logos at the airport. Usually the people all dressed up and have their LV luggage are sitting back in economy thinking about how they are going to pay off this vacation.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Why is there a divide between "nice looking" and "comfortable"? It's a false dichotomy.

When flying, you want dark clothing that can be easily washed, is comfortable sitting for long periods of time and works well in the cool temperature of the plane cabin as well as the temperatures at your departure point and destination. You need shoes that you can leave on all day, can handle running across an airport when you need to catch a connection, and are easy to take off and put back on at security.

Can you work within that and look good? Yes, there are plenty of options. You don't need to go tracksuit. But a Super 180's suit and balmoral boots may not be the best idea.

Because there is, for most people. The average person does not have the wardrobe options that folks here do. Trying to judge that people are "dressed down" for comfort just makes one wonder - so what?
On the comfort --> looking good spectrum, people fall at different points. Best accept that and move on. I've a high tolerance for cold and think overcoats are ugly. Doesn't mean I go about mocking everyone who wears an overcoat.

Doxe

Reaction score
I have a Ermenegildo Zegna silk/wool blend SC that has more pockets than Inspector Gadget's overcoat. I can fit everything I need in it.

Now with the new travel restrictions, I'm tempted to wear a man-thong and flip-flops. No need for a body scanner, you can already see everything - and more.

Naked - it's the new black
colgate.gif

RoyalPaJamas

Reaction score
I always travel in a suit or, at the least, an SC. For me it's the convenience; those extra pockets are great for ticket, passport, etc. And when it's time for security, just pop your watch, wallet, keys, belt, and any other items into the jacket, send it through the conveyor in the tote with your shoes, and reunite on the other side. You can then re-position them at your leisure, rather than trying to pick up every stray coin individually from the tote immediately upon crossing through the scanner.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always travel in a tracksuit. It's the closest thing to wearing pajamas, without actually wearing pajamas.
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For long flights to warm climates or in warm weather, I tend to always wear linen, including a linen odd jacket. It's very comfortable and cool. I always wear a jacket of some sort because of the convenience of having pockets, and because of temperature fluctuations.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is true that people don't dress to travel like they used to, it's not just the airports though it is all over. People seemed to have lost their sense of socail decency when it comes to dressing for certain ocasions. I though I was the only one who would still wear a suit on a plane but I am glad to see here that I am not the only one.

manofstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
It is true that people don't dress to travel like they used to, it's not just the airports though it is all over. People seemed to have lost their sense of socail decency when it comes to dressing for certain ocasions. I though I was the only one who would still wear a suit on a plane but I am glad to see here that I am not the only one.

I wouldn't treat my suits in that way...

tcolberg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RoyalPaJamas
I always travel in a suit or, at the least, an SC. For me it's the convenience; those extra pockets are great for ticket, passport, etc. And when it's time for security, just pop your watch, wallet, keys, belt, and any other items into the jacket, send it through the conveyor in the tote with your shoes, and reunite on the other side. You can then re-position them at your leisure, rather than trying to pick up every stray coin individually from the tote immediately upon crossing through the scanner.

This.

Mountains

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover

If I'm getting on a long flight, I'm going to damn well make sure I'm comfortable. And there are more comfortable clothes to wear than suits - even a button down with a pair of chinos and loafers will be easier to relax in.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sleep maybe 26 or so nights a year on planes, not to mention shorter flights. I used to wear suits, and frankly sleepin a suit just want's a great idea. now I fly in sweats and sneakers and a skullcap. about as comfortable as it gets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads