• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ That is from the 19th century. I'm not a vintage expert, but that movement, with its extra long regulator needle, is almost certainly a genuine IWC "Jones" caliber. The plate configuration looks identical to that of the other Jones calibers I've seen and the dial looks correct. On the face, I see no reason to doubt the watch's authenticity.

However, your best best is to join the Collector's Forum at IWC's official site (iwc.ch) and ask the experts there.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alfa
I agree that their current offerings are really atrocious, but the stuff from the 60's, for my tastes at least, are really excellent.

I'm also a fan of the vintage Breitlings.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
ADVICE NEEDED:

Does anyone know about these things? Its a vintage--circa ???????????? (pls share!!) IWC Pocket watch in Rose gold. Looks like a million bux but would anyone have an idea of actual value??

I would use it as a desk clock...... its WOW in person, I just don't know much about these bad boys.

Can anyone tell if its IWC proprietary movement?

5.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Um wow.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Um wow.
If only you were cool with collecting watches, you could get one for yourself . . .

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ That is from the 19th century. I'm not a vintage expert, but that movement, with its extra long regulator needle, is almost certainly a genuine IWC "Jones" caliber. The plate configuration looks identical to that of the other Jones calibers I've seen and the dial looks correct. On the face, I see no reason to doubt the watch's authenticity.

However, your best best is to join the Collector's Forum at IWC's official site (iwc.ch) and ask the experts there.

I'm not doubting the authenticity at all, rather, the value of a piece like this compared to the ask.

the guy is trustworthy, but he is a salesman (takes on to know one
laugh.gif
) and I'm just trying to set the bar of how much it might cost +/- say, $500-$1k

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not doubting the authenticity at all, rather, the value of a piece like this compared to the ask.

laugh.gif
) and I'm just trying to set the bar of how much it might cost +/- say, $500-$1k

How much is he asking for this? And didn't you just buy a watch!?
devil.gif

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too much I think lol. I can't disclose the price yet, Cause I haven't got a solid answer about it. Were kicking each others tires righb now. I did just buy a watch but this would be a clock for the office
biggrin.gif
Originally Posted by teddieriley
How much is he asking for this? And didn't you just buy a watch!?
devil.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

laugh.gif

I was just answering your question about whether it's a legitimate IWC movement. I have no idea what its value is.

Alfa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
those Carreras are sweet! What do they go for, if you don't mind me asking?

Full disclosure - The black with white subdial carrera is not mine, I pulled it from an excellent article by the late, great Chuck Maddox. This article was what first got me bitten by the watch bug and especially the designs that were so prevalent in the 1960's: http://chronomaddox.com/heuer/articl...a_article.html

I used to monitor eBay quite a bit for vintage carreras and the prices vary wildly as do the levels of intact authenticity. Costs are between 2-4k I would say, but that specific dial and color configuration I have only seen once. The one thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger is the 35-36mm dial size. I know I need at least a 39 for my wrist.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I was just answering your question about whether it's a legitimate IWC movement. I have no idea what its value is.

Gotcha. I prolly wasn't clear. I was just wondering if it was IWC's own movement as opposed to Unitas, etc.

But I do appreciate teh response!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ADVICE NEEDED:

Does anyone know about these things? Its a vintage--circa ???????????? (pls share!!) IWC Pocket watch in Rose gold. Looks like a million bux but would anyone have an idea of actual value??

I would use it as a desk clock...... its WOW in person, I just don't know much about these bad boys.

Can anyone tell if its IWC proprietary movement?

You'll kick yourself if you let that go.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Unless you drive a lambo or are a rap artist or are expecting the terminator style apocalypse I guess this would be a directionally correct statement. Otherwise you have have little to no taste.

Why are you so miserable?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gotcha. I prolly wasn't clear. I was just wondering if it was IWC's own movement as opposed to Unitas, etc.

As I hope I made clear--that is most certainly an IWC movement and not a Unitas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads