• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Go Taurus, you won't be disappointed. Great warranty (customer service is great, but that's from word-of-mouth...). I've handled many of their newer semi auto's and they are splendid guns. Was seriously contemplating picking up a newer Rossi .357 revolver a while back, which is supposed to be made in Taurus' factories.

The only thing I have to ***** about is the locking mechanism. Supposed to be foolproof, but I don't trust that shizzle. You supposedly can remove most of it and Dremel a part to delete that feature...I don't want a safety on my gun.

I have a Taurus .38 special that I bought in Texas almost 10 years ago, and the damned thing has a cylinder that "locks" after firing 5 or 6 times. Interesting thing is I don't notice the same thing when using hollow points, only solid ammunition. I keep meaning to bring it to a gunsmith to take a look, but I am lazy.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I have a Taurus .38 special that I bought in Texas almost 10 years ago, and the damned thing has a cylinder that "locks" after firing 5 or 6 times. Interesting thing is I don't notice the same thing when using hollow points, only solid ammunition. I keep meaning to bring it to a gunsmith to take a look, but I am lazy.
I've heard that on some of the lighter .357s the recoil will pull the bullets out of the cases and after a few shots of LRN, that can lock up the cylinder. Don't know if that would happen with a .38 but it would make sense that hollowpoints would not exhibit the same problem. Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to go for a Smith 442 or Ruger LCR. From what I've read/heard, I don't think a .357 is going to be worth bothering with, especially for $300-ish more. The light ones sound like they are just too painful to practice with. Maybe someday in a bigger gun.

the.chikor

Reaction score

Most likely in the hand or the in the cylinder stop bolt-both not that costly to fix.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...ymer-revolver/

I'm not a plastic revolver fan, but this thing is pretty sweet looking.

Hmmm ... even wheelguns are going plastic now? Still half again the wieght of my S&W340 though..

A couple of years ago I came close to buying a lefty Charter Arms revolver: http://www.charterfirearms.com/commu..._southpaw.html

I decided the smoothness and shootability of the J Frame was more important than slightly more southpaw-friendly reloading.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Hmmm ... even wheelguns are going plastic now? Still half again the wieght of my S&W340 though..

....blame it on Ruger, they were the first to develop the poly revolver, oddly enough the plastics aren't much lighter than an alloy J-frame.

I'm not looking to add another snubnose to the household, but that Taurus is pretty interesting looking, when compared to the LCR.`

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Just found this, but can't figure out how much it costs or anything: http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...-bodyguard-38/ new S&W polymer .38+P in the same category as all the ones we've been talking about. Edit: Ayoob says MSRP $625: http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/Massa...how-day-one-2/
Wow....I wasn't actually expecting poly revolvers to make a run for the market. I just naturally assumed Ruger was somewhat unique with the LCR, at no point did I figure others would follow suit.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I've heard that on some of the lighter .357s the recoil will pull the bullets out of the cases and after a few shots of LRN, that can lock up the cylinder. Don't know if that would happen with a .38 but it would make sense that hollowpoints would not exhibit the same problem.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to go for a Smith 442 or Ruger LCR. From what I've read/heard, I don't think a .357 is going to be worth bothering with, especially for $300-ish more. The light ones sound like they are just too painful to practice with. Maybe someday in a bigger gun.

Took it to the gunsmith to get fixed today. While I was there, I could not resist:

as78390059.jpg

as88396763.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. 92's are really very well made pieces. I suggest a LaserMax laser for that....it replaces the guiderod and thus does not 'alter' the gun. The switch is in the takedown lever.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Nice. 92's are really very well made pieces. I suggest a LaserMax laser for that....it replaces the guiderod and thus does not 'alter' the gun. The switch is in the takedown lever.

That may be the trip back, when I pick up the revolver they are repairing.. That or the .357 magnum I was admiring right before I saw the above.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got to the range for the first time in a couple of weeks (thank you, horrible flu).

Got a chance to shoot a couple of my dad's new purchases - Sig P226 and the Ruger LCR. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the 226, I had a factory demo a couple of years ago that I couldn't get along with. The DA pull on this one was heavy but reasonable, follow-up shots were nice and crisp. I think I'll get a P229 down the road, the 226 felt a bit nose heavy.

The LCR is ridiculous. I have very large hands, so that may be part of the problem, but I couldn't get a controllable grip for multiple shots with it. I think I'm just going to have to accept that there's no such thing as a pocket gun I'll feel comfortable with.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took it to the gunsmith to get fixed today. While I was there, I could not resist:

That's a beautiful 92. It's good to see I'm not the only Beretta fan on the boards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads