• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I've recently inherited a couple of Edward Sexton coats from an uncle. I wish he'd taken advantage of Sexton's versatility to encourage less pronounced roping at the shoulder. I can't look at these without thinking of one of those little girl blouses with the big puffy sleeves. I put one on and have this feeling that people must think I'm wearing wings ... like some angel from a 1930s movie vision of heaven.
You have inherited some Sex....ton? Tell us more.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Matt, please do keep in mind that the problem that I, and a number of other tailors have with A&S is not a question of side taking, nor a conspiracy against drape. With your Rubinacci or Vox's Steed stuff, it is a matter of taste, where it is like arguing whether French or Italian cuisine is best. To get to the point of discussing taste, there has to be a minimal level of competency - a competency that A&S fail to demonstrate. They make mistakes that the better home sewers on my forum wouldn't make. This is what Des Merrion wrote about the above A&S I showed:

To say there are minor tweaks needed here and there is an understatement...We all make mistakes, but some of the faults shown here are absolute basics and should not have left the workroom, or the front door of the premises
I can assure you that this was not written out of professional jealously, as any honest and competent tailor would say the same thing.

It is a shame that this sort of informed critique is ignored, and that every time you point out yet another glaring objective technical fault in an A&S, it too is dismissed as being a subjective question of taste. The end result is that A&S become a ridiculous sacred cow too holy to criticise. Worse still, anyone who dares to take the hegemony on is instantly demonised, and accused of running a subjective hate campaign.

Recent update...they jail people for the most ridiculous reasons in the UK, and leave many unjailed who should be.

Three years? I mean, Des prefers structure, but come on...

- B

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Recent update...they jail people for the most ridiculous reasons in the UK, and leave many unjailed who should be.

Three years? I mean, Des prefers structure, but come on...

- B

Sham trial to shut up a man who saw the truth.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to catch up with this thread around 30 pages back but then I ran into an Ivy League jerk circle which made me spit up............But at least it shut up the state school guy ............

tailorgod

Reaction score
Aren't we still waiting for better pics of whnay's coat?
If his tailors fixed the little fit problems it should be absolutely perfect now...

tailorgod

Reaction score
This is (maybe) the weapon of mass destruction he was trying to "smuggle":

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tailorgod
This is (maybe) the weapon of mass destruction he was trying to "smuggle":

In your opinion as a tailor yourself (but I assume not a felon), would it still be possible to make a £30,000 Supreme Bespoke suit in jail, assuming the fabric and findings are smuggled in?

Supreme Bespoke is sewn entirely by hand. No sewing machine necessary.

As for the three years, it seems to me that the British would have done better to imprison Gordon Brown for three years, but that is another matter.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I tried to catch up with this thread around 30 pages back but then I ran into an Ivy League jerk circle which made me spit up............But at least it shut up the state school guy ............

Insomnia?

Cable TV subscripton lapsed?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Aren't we still waiting for better pics of whnay's coat?
If his tailors fixed the little fit problems it should be absolutely perfect now...

I think that they are working on removing the widowpane...this would eliminate the grid lines that are leading some people to be going all medieval on the ass of that jacket.

Since it is one-ply Breanish, you can pick off the overcheck with just chopsticks.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent update...they jail people for the most ridiculous reasons in the UK, and leave many unjailed who should be. Three years? I mean, Des prefers structure, but come on... - B
Well, well, well............Doesn't bad news travel quickly!!!!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Well, well, well............Doesn't bad news travel quickly!!!!

I give him credit for being a character. From the original blog, to the former Anglican priest's extortion attempt, to the whole Will/Des episode over the unfinished Darren Beaman suit, to the t£30,000 suit, to this: he's not dull.

Moreover, grouse at short range with a sawed off shotgun is probably a lot of fun as long as Dick Cheney is not in your shooting party.

I do hope he gets out soon to be back with his family, however.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I give him credit for being a character. From the original blog, to the former Anglican priest's extortion attempt, to the whole Will/Des episode over the unfinished Darren Beaman suit, to the t£30,000 suit, to this: he's not dull. Moreover, grouse at short range with a sawed off shotgun is probably a lot of fun as long as Dick Cheney is not in your shooting party. I do hope he gets out soon to be back with his family, however. - B
Ah...the life of an on-line tailor eh? Oh, he's a character all right. I'll be letting him make me a celebratory suit when he's out. All that mail bag sewing should have improved his handwork no end.
smile.gif
Seriously though, I feel for his wife and kids.

tailorgod

Reaction score
In your opinion as a tailor yourself (but I assume not a felon), would it still be possible to make a £30,000 Supreme Bespoke suit in jail, assuming the fabric and findings are smuggled in?

Supreme Bespoke is sewn entirely by hand. No sewing machine necessary.

As for the three years, it seems to me that the British would have done better to imprison Gordon Brown for three years, but that is another matter.

- B

I don't know anything about British prisons and their rules, but maybe he will make one of those suits for the director of his prison, so he can legally obtain the necessary goods.
Since he is such a threat to society he won't be allowed to use his proper tailor shears. They'll give him one of the kid's paper scissors instead.

If that Ruger pistol is anything like the P1 pistol I fired on a shooting range when doing my military service he had more chances to kill somebody by throwing it. Which, of course would have limited the number of casualties.

Apparently he did not have any good lawyers among his customers in the UK.
I do hope and think he'll get out soon. I'm surprised he got such a long sentence in the first place.

And all this because his helper wasn't smart enough to put enough stamps on the parcel.
Can you get arrested for simply being stupid in the USA?
peepwall[1].gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can you get arrested for simply being stupid in the USA?
peepwall[1].gif

Since I am free to go about at will, I don't think so.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads