• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One evening in Prague - what should I see, where should I go?

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Thanks guys - pretty much in line with what I have in mind. Old Town, walk around, grab a bite, Charles bridge, grab a Pilsner Urquell, call it a night.

Don't miss the Astronomical Clock in the Old Town Square. But try not to eat in Old Town...it's a serious tourist trap. I wish I could remember restaurant names to recommend. Also, move over to New Town and see Wenceslas Square.

You can't go wrong with beer: Pilsner Urqell, Budweiser Budvar, Staropramen.

On second thought, don't drink Gambrinus.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as some people have said, beer (possibly even urquell) is cheaper than water

also, drink as much absinthe as you can but BE CAREFUL, i've missed flights with that **** before

Duff_Man

Reaction score
There's a very large 5-story club that's always 'boppin' for tourists mostly. A lot of hotties but be aware, a good deal of them are still in junior high. No joke.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have probably added that I'm married with children, in my mid-thirties and on a work trip.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Draft unpasteurized Pilsner Urquell is not something I'd find here, and I'm sure a very different taste altogether. When in Rome...

I thought you don't drink. I was there not long ago, very beautiful and charming. When you will be there? I pigged out ordering a pig knuckle, huge portion, it was braised to almost fall off the bone tender then roasted until the skin was crispy. I didn't remember the restaurant name but thanks to Google map I am able to track it down: www.svejk.cz‎ at 20 Široká just off Parizska, the main shopping street.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I thought you don't drink.
What makes you think that?
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I was there not long ago, very beautiful and charming. When you will be there? I pigged out ordering a pig knuckle, huge portion, it was braised to almost fall off the bone tender then roasted until the skin was crispy. I didn't remember the restaurant name but thanks to Google map I am able to track it down: www.svejk.cz‎ at 20 Široká just off Parizska, the main shopping street.
Thanks for the suggestion (link doesn't work for me though). I'll be there on Monday

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.pragueexperience.com/maps...sp?PlaceID=598

Greg,

if you have 2 hours, here's what you do - get a taxi to drop you off in the old town square. if you can do it to corespond with the top of the hour, see the clock ring.

walk around the square, there is an interesting monument to the anti-catholic czech rebel leader.

then walk from there to winseslous square. at more or less the northwest corner of winseslous square, there is a side street that leads off to one of my favorite places in the world.

http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=649

if you stand in this spot, there are several very cool early 20th centrury buildings, a midevil building and a renasaince building in your view.

there are a number of small pubs type places to eat along this route, as well as suages places on winseslous square.

http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=1008

while urquell is fantastic, there are also some beers that are very good that you simply won't have heard of. in terms of what to eat - I would try czech style gulash (maybe they call it prague style gulash, but it is gulash with a piece of roast sausage in it) and bread dumplings. frankly, probrably not the best meal you willl ever have, but worth trying once.

if you have maybe 3 hours, maybe 4, do the same thing, but have the taxi drop you at the castle, then walk down and cross the river over the charles bridge, then continue.

have fun.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions.

cheers.gif

Tcameron

Reaction score
I know your opportunity may have come and gone but I went to Bar and Books (There are two in total in Prague); which was pretty nice. Perhaps not the most authentic spot as it is a shoot off of a small chain in New York. But maybe a place to get a nice drink before moving on to your 1 Euro liter of Pilsner Urquell. http://www.barandbooks.cz/manesova/

GlenCoe

Reaction score
I would suggest you to quickly go through the Old town sq, Charles bridge and usual stuff (the most crowded place in Prague) and rather hang out in the Mala strana. You can find both authencity and class over there. It is the place where Soderbergh's Kafka was shot.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. For beer - **** Budweiser, you can drink that **** anywhere in the world, go for local beers (Pilsner Urquel, Staropramen, Cerna Hora etc.) or local Absinth (Staroplzenecky Absinth, Sebor Absinth; Havel Absinth, Zelena muza) Have fun and If you have any questions just ask, I sort of come from that area Edit: beware of czech taxidrivers, charging ten times the amount of the price for foreigners has become a habit, just yell at them or refuse to pay
smile.gif
You can also use 360 cities to see what works best for ya

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how was Prague? What did you end up doing?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only a few hours? I'd walk around the old town ... and just take in as much as you can visually. It's a beautiful city.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So touristy but still fun.

Budweiser + street meat = yum

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walked around Old Town and to the bridge. Had a good meal at Kolkovna (sp?) with a few draft Urquells (we tried to go to the place VR suggested but it was literally entirely empty, not one customer. Half a block away was that other place that was bustling with people). Got scammed by a taxi driver who screamed at me in czech. All in all, a pretty typical Prague tourist experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics