• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nexus One

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw some buzz over the last few days on the gadget blogs that a Nexus One has been filed with the FCC with AT&T's 3G frequencies.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Saw some buzz over the last few days on the gadget blogs that a Nexus One has been filed with the FCC with AT&T's 3G frequencies.

So, AT&T's 3G network will have the iPhone, iPad, and Nexus One on it? Can you say 56k?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the gloves continue to come off. http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/02/02...touch-android/
With the Android update announced for Nexus One phones today, Google has enabled multi-touch for its Browser, Gallery, and Maps applications. Specifically, they’ve enabled the popular pinch-to-zoom functionality that iPhone users are fond of. So why did Google wait all this time to implement this obvious feature when its devices have been capable of it since the G1? Well, a report last year (written by me for another publication), cited a source within Google who noted that Apple and Google had a gentleman’s agreement that Android wouldn’t encroach on what Apple believed to be its property, certain multi-touch gestures, like pinch-to-zoom. With Apple and Google now fighting, all bets are apparently off.
When the iPhone first came out GOOG and AAPL were the best of buds. That relationship has been souring over the last year+ and recently Jobs was said to have made some statements about Google. Something about their "do no evil" policy IIRC. Anyway, I look forward to this battle. Hopefully we will all somehow benefit from them trying to one-up each other e.g. Apple is rumored to be doing their own maps, and Google will have to keep bringing improvements to Android to compete with iPhone OS.

milosh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Anyway, I look forward to this battle. Hopefully we will all somehow benefit from them trying to one-up each other e.g. Apple is rumored to be doing their own maps, and Google will have to keep bringing improvements to Android to compete with iPhone OS.
I think I read(on Engadget, I think) that Apple is thinking of using Bing as it's default search.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yes, I've seen that as well.

Plus there was something on TechCrunch about Apple and Google buying out certain companies from under each other i.e. they both were trying to buy the same ones e.g. Apple bought Lala and Google bought AdMob.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosh
I think I read(on Engadget, I think) that Apple is thinking of using Bing as it's default search.

Bwahahahaha... if this is even remotely true, Steve Ballmer is somewhere laughing his big fat ass off.
smile.gif

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was using my sisters iphone 3GS and was amazed at how much MORE intuitive the keyboard was.

Not by a bit, but it really enabled my texting/emails etc. to reach pretty much blackberry typing speeds.

frown.gif

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
I was using my sisters iphone 3GS and was amazed at how much MORE intuitive the keyboard was.

Not by a bit, but it really enabled my texting/emails etc. to reach pretty much blackberry typing speeds.

frown.gif

Yeah, I noticed the touchscreen on the iPhone really does beat all other touchscreens out there. Quite impressive.

zatarregaza

Reaction score
Talk about intuitive... Install the Swype keyboard on your Nexus One. I installed it on my G1 recently. You just swipe your finger across the keyboard touching on the keys you want to enter and it can tell what it is you want to type in. I don't think its available on the iPhone yet, but it is available on Android phones and on Windows Mobile.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
T&T is going to dick me around with the Motorola Backflip as their flagship Android phone. Really?

That thing looks 10xStupid.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
honestly I hope it is a viable alternative. I love my iPhone, but AT&T service is just so abysmal I don't think I'll be renewing my contract when it expires in a few months.
Hope you didn't jump ship. The new results are in, and AT&T is the king. http://www.pcworld.com/article/18959...ance_test.html
189592-laptopchart1_original.gif
After generating disappointing results in our tests last spring, AT&T’s 3G network is now the top performer in our 13-city tests, with download speeds 67 percent faster than its competitors'.
AT&T's download speeds in New York City were three times faster in our latest tests than in our tests last spring; in San Francisco, the AT&T's download speeds were 40 percent faster.
AT&T appears to have added considerable data service capacity during a year when its wireless subscriber base grew considerably, as did the amount of data service those subscribers use. During 2009, AT&T's total subscriber count swelled from 77 million to more than 85 million, with a growing proportion of those subscribers--40 percent, AT&T says--now using smartphones.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Adonohoo
Is this using sprint 4g network? I hardly believe that AT&T could beat it.

It is using whatever networks are currently in place as of Jan of this year.

legit

Reaction score
Yes, AT&T is king... IF you get service. Most the people I know that complain about poor reception in calls or dropping calls are on AT&T. Their 3G is faster though.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just got a droid to replace my blackberry. i freaking love this thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads