• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit English

Reaction score
I found a nice yellow scarf and a red knit tie today at a vintage store for $5 each. Not bad.
scarf.jpg

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
epic vinyl haul. The thing is, it wasn't just some kids collection of the popular stuff, there are some rare singles and more off the beaten path LPs in this mix. it looks like some hip hop lover's girlfriend got pissed and donated his collection.

sounds like you've been reading nick hornby...

nice one.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
anybody know anything about Hardy Aimes? i found a few nice ties from this label and i'm wondering where they rank quality wise. they appear to be of high quality.

They are ok, middle of the road stuff.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hwhea1.jpg

gotta love everything you can fit in a bag for 5 dollar day

burberry trench w/ wool lining
almost unworn recent hickey freeman suit (feels like super 120's, awesome)
brioni silk shirt
vintage shell cordovan wingtips w/ brand new heels
nwot burberry london tie
hermes tie
brioni tie
skinny robert talbot raw silk tie
nwt brooks brothers tie
vintage brooks rep tie
corneliani for ralph lauren basically unworn wool slacks

not pictured: turnbull & asser shirt, canali jacket, some other misc. good day

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
passed on a BB repp tie the other day. Kicking myself. It's gone now.

Todays haul:
AE Chester in burgundy
J&M Optima black captoes (going on eBay)
2 cheap web type belts with brass buckles

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
No! If the Jedi Master of Thrifting is giving up then there is no hope for the rest of us. Think of the Brioni's from the church sale. Think of that Kiton you almost snagged. Think of all of the RLPL's, Anderson & Sheppards, and Rubinacci's just waiting to be discovered!

Indeed. I shall press on as always and hope for the best!

mco543

Reaction score
I found a gigantic, heavy Ikepod Tourbillon watch today (not sure of the authenticity but it does seem quite nice, figured it was worth the chance) at the same hell hole that gave up the Kiton jacket i posted last week. It works but unfortunately 1 of the hands has come loose and needs to be repaired.

I actually take it back the place isnt a hell hole anymore. The last month or so they actually made an effort to organize things and make the place not stink.

edit: Forgot i also found a tie and suit made by a company called "Count Brioni" that were both 100% Polyester.

mike540

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Found these today, new and unworn:

Nice, those are great! Decent shoes seem to be the the hardest to find. I've been looking for chukkas for a year with no luck, thanks for the inspiration.
smile.gif

vinasity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
hwhea1.jpg

gotta love everything you can fit in a bag for 5 dollar day

burberry trench w/ wool lining
almost unworn recent hickey freeman suit (feels like super 120's, awesome)
brioni silk shirt
vintage shell cordovan wingtips w/ brand new heels
nwot burberry london tie
hermes tie
brioni tie
skinny robert talbot raw silk tie
nwt brooks brothers tie
vintage brooks rep tie
corneliani for ralph lauren basically unworn wool slacks

not pictured: turnbull & asser shirt, canali jacket, some other misc. good day

Wow super nice finds and a super great deal to boot!

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^Yeah, great haul. I guess I know one thrift store I won't bother visiting for awhile...

I think I would trade all that stuff for the Aldens you found! Seriously, 10 bucks? Seems like any time I find a decent pair of new shoes (which is fairly common) they always want 20-30... which at a thrift store makes me feel like I'm getting robbed at gunpoint
devil.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hell, I'd be thrilled to find a decent pair of shoes at a thrift at any price! That's the only part of my wardrobe that is seriously lacking because people just don't donate nice shoes around here for some reason. I don't really understand it, they'll donate 12 recent Brioni suits and sportcoats, but won't donate one of their pairs of EGs or C&Js?

ChadHahn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mco543
I found a gigantic, heavy Ikepod Tourbillon watch today (not sure of the authenticity but it does seem quite nice, figured it was worth the chance) at the same hell hole that gave up the Kiton jacket i posted last week. It works but unfortunately 1 of the hands has come loose and needs to be repaired.

Most of the Tourbillon watches you see about are fake. Around here the pawnshops are filled with them. If you go to the fake watch sites you can find lots of them with the little window and the gear in it.

Chad

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Hell, I'd be thrilled to find a decent pair of shoes at a thrift at any price! That's the only part of my wardrobe that is seriously lacking because people just don't donate nice shoes around here for some reason. I don't really understand it, they'll donate 12 recent Brioni suits and sportcoats, but won't donate one of their pairs of EGs or C&Js?

I don't think nice shoes mix well with the amount of salt thrown down on the roads in the twin cities...maybe people just aren't buying them and if they are buying them they are either destroying them beyond reasonable donation or wearing them so infrequently that they stay nice forever and never get donated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads