• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Ok. Made it together with a sky blue shirt. Probably pairing with that and white.

Any idea on what decent label I can look at for a silk piece, at around US$70ish?

Thanks!

The one that looks best to you. Label doesn't matter a whole lot for ties. If the silk has a nice hand and has a pattern appealing to you, go for it.

If you're looking for pattern ideas, I would pair it with a primarily navy regimental or something along those lines.

rickblaine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Just made a charcoal bespoke suit with classic collar.

Anyone has advice on what kind of tie to go with it? I'm thinking black or dark blue. How many inches do you guys reckon?

Am looking to spend around US$70ish.

I would highly reccomend prune, brown, burgundy or anything dark blue, but dotted or striped rather than solids.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Ok. Made it together with a sky blue shirt. Probably pairing with that and white.

Any idea on what decent label I can look at for a silk piece, at around US$70ish?

Thanks!

RL, Banana Republic, J.Crew,... there are a lot of options in your price range.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you buy a MTM or bespoke suit, how many pairs of trousers do you get made for it?

Will there be any problems with mismatching wear if you buy a certain number?

(I would assume as jackets are not worn as much, so wear less, 3 or 4 trousers so these are worn less, would keep their wear in tandem with the jacket.

2 pairs of trousers would extend the suit's life, but after a while you would have an almost pristine jacket, with slightly worn trousers)

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might seem basic, but anyone know where to get a navy blazer like this?
im especially looking for something with wide (preferably peak) lapels and slim proportions.
5_72413013.jpg

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm still new to suits and stuff so sorry if this is a stupid question but...

is it okay for me to wear a pocketsquare made of silk? I was in mens warehouse earlier today getting my suit pants shortened (first suit, still finding all the errors in the fit) and all their pocketsquares were silk. whenever i see someone mention pocketsquares here they mention linen, just want to know if silk is okay for a pocketsquare for businessy type stuff (like job interviews and whatnot)

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r

is it okay for me to wear a pocketsquare made of silk? I was in mens warehouse earlier today getting my suit pants shortened (first suit, still finding all the errors in the fit) and all their pocketsquares were silk. whenever i see someone mention pocketsquares here they mention linen, just want to know if silk is okay for a pocketsquare for businessy type stuff (like job interviews and whatnot)

Nothing is wrong with silk, fact is that most of the favourite PS here are silk. However, silk is shiny. So be careful when matching PS with your outfit.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Nothing is wrong with silk, fact is that most of the favourite PS here are silk. However, silk is shiny. So be careful when matching PS with your outfit.

cool, maybe i'll grab a white one when i'm down there to pick my suit up. i dont have one yet.

is 7 dollars too much to spend? not many menswear stores where i live, unless department stores sell pocketsquares (like jc penny's and macys and whatnot)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r

Originally Posted by onix

It's more that certain patterns are typically done in linen or cotton (often solids) while others, usually busier patterns, are often done in printed silk. The plain white pocket square should almost always be done in linen as it would look a little strange in silk. Pairing pocket square with suits is just as much about the texture of the linen or silk square as it is about the color and pattern. You probably want to be careful about wearing pocket squares to job interviews and the like if you're not sure that what you've put together is a very conservative pairing.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm, maybe i should hold out for a linen one then.

do department stores sell pocketsquares? i rarely go into department stores nowadays because everything there is always alteast one size too big for me (i need slim fit small shirts and stuff).

might grab the silk one just so i have one incase i need it, if i can't find a linen one.

enjoiii

Reaction score
First time poster in Mens Clothing.

I am currently a 3rd year University student and will be starting the recruiting process for accounting soon. I currently have one pair of black slip on dress shoes from Aldo, which is my only dress shoe. I was thinking about the following shoe for interviewing and general dressier occasions. I would prefer to keep the price at or below $250.

Would these shoes be a good choice for my needs? Are they conservative enough for someone going into accounting? Could these shoes be worn with jeans possibly?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SALVATORE-FERRAG...item4a9e9e895d

Thanks so much for any help.

luciosilla

Reaction score
Greetings all, got a bunch of Hermes ties from years past, and I've noticed that on almost all of them the interlining has warped: the two sides turn in, giving the tie a concave effect and rendering at least a couple of them pretty much unwearable. Any possible remedies for flattening the interlining without destroying the silk? Thanks.

Vazfinest1

Reaction score
I have a quick question for everybody. I was measured by my tailor as having a size 38 chest. I was told by some people that I should consider buying size 36 blazers and suits, but I thought that I was supposed to purchase jackets in my correct size of 38 l. I am slim at 5'11 about 155 pounds with an athletic build (former track athlete).

Thank you in advance for advice.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2867-1522-photo2.jpg
I'm wondering if anyone has a pair of these Herring Stratford and can comment on how they go with a suit. Or if they are a more casual boot in real life? To explain - 'cos I'm in Melbourne I can only see pics and order online.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads