• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy some black jeans that fit similar to Dior 21cms. Also, (and I don't know if I can explain this properly), I don't want them to be jet black but more like the black Imperials where it's darker than raw indigo but not black black.

Any suggestions? Thanks

brosnan6

Reaction score
I'm a little confused about washing v. dry cleaning v. soaking. I bought my first "good pair" of denim in Jan of 2009 (APC NS). I've yet to wash them based upon my fashionista friend's recommendation. He told me to dry clean only when its time, but it seems like washing is more recommended here. Who's right? I've got some decent fade going on, especially in the wallet area. The jeans don't smell yet, but I can tell that there's some dirtiness building up.

Additionally, I recently had the crotch blow out on one side and from what I read here, it seems like that can be caused by lack of washing. Luckily it was only on one side and my tailor patched it up (as well as the other side as a preventative measure).

And on a 2nd note, I'm looking for a new pair to add to the collection. I'm considering Nudies, but wanted to see what else is good out there. Would like to keep it in the $150 or less range (I picked up the APC for 100ish). For reference, I bought the APC NS in 34 and they stretched to 37ish, which is a great fit right now.

Advice please!

Christobevii3

Reaction score
brosnan6 I just let my jeans sit in hot water for like 10 minutes in the washer not moving or anything then spin them. That is if they are just need a freshen up and shrink. If I need them "cleaned" because something got on them I let them run for like 5 minutes.

brosnan6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christobevii3
brosnan6 I just let my jeans sit in hot water for like 10 minutes in the washer not moving or anything then spin them. That is if they are just need a freshen up and shrink. If I need them "cleaned" because something got on them I let them run for like 5 minutes.

I don't want a shrink -- they fit pretty much as perfect as I'd like them. Would dry cleaning be the route then?

todot62

Reaction score
I bought a pair of J Crew vintage jeans, sight unseen. They fit great, and look to be very good denim; however, they are just way too bright blue! Is there a process of make them "dirty", maybe to get some brown tones in there to calm down that blue? Or do I just need to wash them a few times to lighten them up? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tod

user7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
Looking to buy some black jeans that fit similar to Dior 21cms. Also, (and I don't know if I can explain this properly), I don't want them to be jet black but more like the black Imperials where it's darker than raw indigo but not black black.

Any suggestions? Thanks

You mean like "grey" black denim, where the warp thread is black and the weft is white, so the jean is sorta gray overall? Instead of overdye or black/black denim where both the warp and the weft is black?

Why not just get the black Diors? They are my favorite current jeans. black/white warp/weft

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm another paranoid denim noob.
I got some naked and famous and I love them and I'm all excited.
I can't remember all the **** I've read about raw denim so I soaked 'em in cold water and left them to dry while I went to work.
I put them on when I got home while they were still damp and put my wallet in my back pocket and sat on it for a while. Now there's a stretched out imprint of my wallet, which seems like it would tear easier and sooner. Should I let that go? Could I make it go back if I soaked them again? Should I shut up and just keep wearing them?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
I#m looking for a new pair of jeans. My autumn/winter favourite is the Efes Sky, and that's basically what I want in a leighter weight (year-round or summer weight would both be options).
No-nonsense styling (though I wouldn't be afraid remove silly stitching if possible) and a 36" inseam are a must.
What can you recommend?
Oh yeah, I forgot: not too expensive. 200 € would definitely be my limit.

Bump.

Christobevii3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I don't want a shrink -- they fit pretty much as perfect as I'd like them. Would dry cleaning be the route then?

Then use cold or warm water soak then spin dry. Its the heat plus agitation that causes shrinking. If I just soak them in hot they shrink a little, but when I agitate oh boy.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To all considering dry cleaning denim- there is no reason to do this. If they stink, wash them. If you don't want much shrinkage, use cold water and air dry them. Above all, stop worrying so much about your jeans unless there is some kind of catastrophic seam failure. I fully understand loving your jeans and wanting to keep them, but they are tough enough to make it through a wash cycle.

Classically

Reaction score
After a serious lifestyle readjustment, I've managed to drop several pounds and my waist down to a 37. I'm in NOVA for the weekend and I was considering dropping by the Denim Bar to pick my first pair of raw denim, specifically, the APC New Standards. However, after looking at their website, I've noticed that they don't have a size 35. My question is should I go up a size or down a size? Or wait a little longer and drop another waist size before purchasing? Time isn't an issue since I live in the area and I can probably use the cash to get a pair of Allen Edmonds that I've been drooling over.

bma

Reaction score
if you're planning on losing more weight, i'd get apcs later.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bma
should i always soak new, raw jeans before i break them in?
Short answer is a resounding yes.
Originally Posted by Whiskey
Am i past the point of no return? i kind of want to get some length out of the way.
No, you're not. It's never too late to soak, and best to do it sooner than later, before the jeans really settle and conform to your body. You'll be surprised otherwise.
Originally Posted by .Impulsv
Does anyone know where I can still find Levi 501xx STF 30x34 in the Knight color? They seem to be out of stock everywhere. "
I'm assuming you tried Levis online? If so, try Macy's.
I'm a little confused about washing v. dry cleaning v. soaking. I bought my first "good pair" of denim in Jan of 2009 (APC NS). I've yet to wash them based upon my fashionista friend's recommendation. He told me to dry clean only when its time, but it seems like washing is more recommended here. Who's right? Additionally, I recently had the crotch blow out on one side and from what I read here, it seems like that can be caused by lack of washing. And on a 2nd note, I'm looking for a new pair to add to the collection. Advice please!
We're right, of course. You posted once before about some of this, right? Dry cleaning, as noted, is plain silly for jeans. Wash. Always soak new jeans for many reasons. They'll still be as dark and as stiff. Crotch blowouts happen for numerous reasons, particularly the fit, but don't underestimate stiff or dirty denim for premature tears. For new jeans, I'd recommend venturing into new territory (not Nudie), or get the Nudies but start thinking longer-term about some other more interesting denim. Nudie and APC are on the same level, imo.
Originally Posted by Christobevii3
This is good advice.
Shrink, sadly or not, is part of the game. Sell them and size up next time or soak and find out. If not, don't ever get them wet.
Originally Posted by melonadejello
So I'm another paranoid denim noob. Should I shut up and just keep wearing them?
I wouldn't tell anyone to 'shut up', but yeah. And soak them.
Originally Posted by Classically
After a serious lifestyle readjustment, I've managed to drop several pounds the APC New Standards. However, after looking at their website, I've noticed that they don't have a size 35. My question is should I go up a size or down a size? Or wait a little longer and drop another waist size before purchasing?
Tricky, since weight loss adds whole new variable to buying denim, which basically makes sizing them a moving target. If you're certain that you're going to be losing that extra waist inch, downsize one size now in preparation for it. Jeans will stretch a surprising amount to accomodate, within reason. Better to err on smaller than too big when first venturing into raw denim land. You can even do this.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by user7
You mean like "grey" black denim, where the warp thread is black and the weft is white, so the jean is sorta gray overall? Instead of overdye or black/black denim where both the warp and the weft is black?

Why not just get the black Diors? They are my favorite current jeans. black/white warp/weft

Yeah, that's what I mean.

I would get black Diors but I'd like to see if there is a cheaper option available as I'd rather not spend $350 on a pair of jeans at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads