• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kaizoku

Reaction score
I picked this up today for $60 off of craigslist.

257 in otter green. Looks more brown when outdoors or in direct sunlight.
It has Talon zippers, so it's pre-2004.

The only problem is that the person I bought it from has had it in storage for a couple years, so it stinks like a skeevy Army surplus store.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get rid of that musty canvas smell?

P1000671.jpg

P1000670-1.jpg

G. Mann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaizoku
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get rid of that musty canvas smell?

Maybe try hosing it down with Febreeze?

Cheers,
G

kaizoku

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, both of you.

I'm actually going to do both. I washed the bag inside and out with only cold water and a brush, per Filson's website's instructions, and I plan on hosing it down with Febreeze and leaving it out in the sun tomorrow while I'm at work, and over the weekend if it stays sunny.

I need to get this remedied ASAP as I'm flying to Europe soon and I doubt my fellow passengers will appreciate the stench of musty canvas wafting from the overhead compartment for 10+ hours.

G. Mann

Reaction score
...I doubt my fellow passengers will appreciate the stench of musty canvas wafting from the overhead compartment for 10+ hours.

Probably won't be the worst aroma during that flight.
laugh.gif

Cheers,
G

CEE88

Reaction score
I'm on a quest for the "best" carry-on bag -- looking at the
medium duffel (222),
pullman (243), &
large travel bag (248)

Here's my criteria for "best:"
1. Largest size that can be carried on & stowed overhead (which I understand is roughly 10" x 21" x 14" or 45 linear inches total)
2. Not too heavy
3. Can be carried over the shoulder or (preferably) like a backpack
4. Is functional or otherwise well-designed

I plan to use it for plane travel including international travel. I limit myself to one carry on piece, plus my camera/sundry bag

I currently use a 3lb. Rick Steves 'convertible carry on' ( http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...entId=8&id=139 ). It's almost perfect because it holds 3-4 changes of clothes (so, short trip, you're fine; longer trip, you have enough clothes to comfortably manage when to wash stuff along the way). But I especially appreciate the backpack straps which is great for moving through airports, traversing bumpy roads, stairs etc, and it allows me to manuever my bag AND my girl's roller bag at the same time when needed. The problem is that it doesn't sit on my back properly -- top of the bag pulls far out from my shoulders. Not good, especially after about 20 minutes.

I looked at several Filsons in person, including the pullman (which seemed perfect on paper) but, I've got to be honest, they seemed a little heavy and not particuarly functional.

If you have one of the bags mentioned, what sort of travel did you use it for & how did it perform? (and be honest, are they a little 'heavy'?)

Could you take it on, say, a three week trip to Europe & be able to comfortably live out of it (for ex: carry 3-4 changes of clothes) and yet ALSO easily manuever with it through towns & on trains & planes without resorting to checking it?

Would you recommend any of the Filson bags (those mentioned above or another) as one which fits my criteria for the "best" carry on? Is there a non-Filson bag that fits the bill?

Thanks!

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, both of you.

I'm actually going to do both. I washed the bag inside and out with only cold water and a brush, per Filson's website's instructions, and I plan on hosing it down with Febreeze and leaving it out in the sun tomorrow while I'm at work, and over the weekend if it stays sunny.

I need to get this remedied ASAP as I'm flying to Europe soon and I doubt my fellow passengers will appreciate the stench of musty canvas wafting from the overhead compartment for 10+ hours.

make sure it is warm enough and sunny enough to dry completely within a day. If the dampness lingers for several days you are going to worsen the smell (it comes from mold).

kaizoku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
make sure it is warm enough and sunny enough to dry completely within a day. If the dampness lingers for several days you are going to worsen the smell (it comes from mold).
It mostly dried, and the smell was almost gone, but the Febreeze smell was too strong so I washed it again last night and let it dry with a fan blowing on it. I'm going to put it out in the sun today and hopefully that will do the trick. If not, I'll keep washing/drying until the smell is gone, and maybe try some vinegar. My main concern is ruining the water repellency of the fabric.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
I'm on a quest for the "best" carry-on bag... Here's my criteria for "best:" 1. Largest size that can be carried on & stowed overhead (which I understand is roughly 10" x 21" x 14" or 45 linear inches total) 2. Not too heavy 3. Can be carried over the shoulder or (preferably) like a backpack 4. Is functional or otherwise well-designed I plan to use it for plane travel including international travel. I limit myself to one carry on piece, plus my camera/sundry bag
Look at this and this, exactly what you're after. I've taken the Air Boss to India multiple times. It's the lightest bag you'll find with the most strength.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Look at this and this, exactly what you're after. I've taken the Air Boss to India multiple times. It's the lightest bag you'll find with the most strength.

I've heard great things about these bags, though I have not had the opportunity to try them myself.

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Wow, thanks -- I hadn't heard of these bags. And they're made in Montana, USA???

I was hoping to find a Filson carry-on style bag that fit the bill, because I like their look, but the design functionality of these Red Oxx bags looks hard to beat.

Just one question: it looks like the one you have (Air Boss) does not have backpack straps -- have you heard whether the packpack aspect of that Sky Train bag is functional & comfortable?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sky Train works fine, but many people end up not using the backpack straps.

The more important differentiating feature is the overall size. Sky Train is bigger

ChadHahn

Reaction score
L.L. Bean makes the Waxed Cotton Continental Rucksack. I have the nylon version and it makes a nice carry on bag. http://cdni.llbean.com/is/image/wim/...id=330&hei=295 LL Bean Site REI used to make what was basically a duffel with backpack straps. A quick look at their web page and it seems like they no longer make it. The Eagle Creek Continental Journey was a carry on sized backpack that of course is no longer made. The last two might be found used and the L.L. Bean is made of the same materials as a Filson so it's close. Chad

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChadHahn

The last two might be found used and the L.L. Bean is made of the same materials as a Filson so it's close.

Chad

That bag by Bean is not made of the same material as a Filson. Filson uses 22 ounce waxed cotton twill and bridle leather. At best the Bean pack is 12 ounce cotton canvas and most likely the leather is not in the same league either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads