• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
Please pardon my ignorance but do the Panerais and big IWCs have works that fill all that space with big cogs and wheels or are the movements smaller than the cases?

In the case of the IWC Portuguese models with in-house movements, yes:

port7.jpg

Many Panerais have movements that fit their cases, too--but not all.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Watch Quote actually called the Caliber 50010 (the one used in the Portuguese Auto) as the largest automatic movement available in the world. I am not sure how accurate that is though.

http://www.thewatchquote.com/IWC-Por...ic-No_4091.htm

A sapphire base lets you admire the splendid caliber IWC 50010 movement that makes it tick. Evolved from the caliber 5000, the caliber 50010 is the largest automatic movement available in the world. IWC first introduced it with the celebrated Portuguese Automatic 2000 limited edition.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
The Watch Quote actually called the Caliber 50010 (the one used in the Portuguese Auto) as the largest automatic movement available in the world. I am not sure how accurate that is though.

http://www.thewatchquote.com/IWC-Por...ic-No_4091.htm

I think that's accurate. The claim has been around ever since the movement came out years ago. Nobody's challenged it and I can't think of anything else that comes close.

Ahriman4891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Am I the only one who doesn't like Panerai here? This grand seiko spring drive(with a brown shell cordo strap) is my current dream watch:
3722168108_897b81c450_o.jpg

I am a huge fan of Grand Seikos and will get one at some point (or more than one). However, I don't like this particular model. Very few watch companies can consistently pull off good-looking power reserve indicators, and Seiko is not one of them -- IMO this pic shows it. The high-beat SBGH001 is a more interesting and better looking watch. Of course you have to understand where Grand Seikos come from and why a certain degree of kitsch has to be present
devil.gif
seikogssbgh00101.jpg
The sporty Spring Drive GMT with sapphire bezel is not bad either:
seikogssbge00114.jpg
But I also like the looks of Panerai occasionally
shog[1].gif
. And Lange watches leave me completely cold, although I have never held one in my hands and can only judge by pics, so it may change.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ranjeev
I never understood the fascination with Panerai but I have to say over time they have grown on me. I'm considering one as my next watch (looking at the 111).

Watches are such a personal thing.

Same here....

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ranjeev
I never understood the fascination with Panerai but I have to say over time they have grown on me.
I've always appreciated the aesthetics of Panerai, and my wrist can actually handle a watch of that size, but now that the brand has attracted a predominantly douche following I'd sooner wear a Rolex.........
frown.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I've always appreciated the aesthetics of Panerai, and my wrist can actually handle a watch of that size, but now that the brand has attracted a predominantly douche following I'd sooner wear a Rolex.........
frown.gif

Quoted for irony

Now, seriously, this whole Panerai bash/love circus has been done before and is pointless to the extreme. Some like the designs, some don't - why does it have to be more than this. Why don't I see posts saying: "Am I the only one who doesn't like JLC?", or Oris or whatever other brand? Why this strange and singular focus on wanting to express a dislike for Panerai over the other dozens of watch brands? I'm perplexed.

In any case, that's really not the object of this thread - it's a picture thread, not meant to rehash every 30 pages who likes Panerai and who doesn't and whether 44mm is too big or not - the answers are the same they were 2 years ago or 10 years ago: it is for some, it isn't for others.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahriman4891
The sporty Spring Drive GMT with sapphire bezel is not bad either:
seikogssbge00114.jpg

Sweet ! This is probably my favorite GS :
IMG_0204-1.jpg
Grand_Seiko_SBGM003_0006.jpg
IMG_0209-1.jpg

Ahriman4891

Reaction score
Yes, I wanted to post that one as well, but decided not to go overboard. That one is the most timeless GS of all IMO.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Quoted for irony

Now, seriously, this whole Panerai bash/love circus has been done before and is pointless to the extreme. Some like the designs, some don't - why does it have to be more than this. Why don't I see posts saying: "Am I the only one who doesn't like JLC?", or Oris or whatever other brand? Why this strange and singular focus on wanting to express a dislike for Panerai over the other dozens of watch brands? I'm perplexed.

In any case, that's really not the object of this thread - it's a picture thread, not meant to rehash every 30 pages who likes Panerai and who doesn't and whether 44mm is too big or not - the answers are the same they were 2 years ago or 10 years ago: it is for some, it isn't for others.

The real question is whether it's a fad or a trend.

1024image012hb2.jpg

Also, some people like vanilla *and* chocolate.
1024image022pe5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads