• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Murdoc

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I know people size down/up depending on whatever and I thought I've done so, I guess just not on this specific pair.

I'm going in for getting the length shorted a bit, but will also ask if they can address the waist since they are already falling off me and its the second time wearing them(they seemed to fit fine on the weekend)

I was just asking if I should have the tailor address anything else? Obviously thsi is specific to me and how it fits, but was wondering if there are any general rules to getting these altered; like should they touch up stiching, reinforce stuff, or whatever else may be done?

Maybe the question is too amigious because Im over worrying about these things when I shouldn't be.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Murdoc
Oh yeah, I know people size down/up depending on whatever and I thought I've done so, I guess just not on this specific pair. I'm going in for getting the length shorted a bit, but will also ask if they can address the waist since they are already falling off me and its the second time wearing them(they seemed to fit fine on the weekend) I was just asking if I should have the tailor address anything else? Obviously thsi is specific to me and how it fits, but was wondering if there are any general rules to getting these altered; like should they touch up stiching, reinforce stuff, or whatever else may be done? Maybe the question is too ambiguous because Im over worrying about these things when I shouldn't be.
Oh, no, I don't just mean up- or down-sizing. I mean my waist is a real 32/33 where I wear my jeans, and I wear a 30/31 (actual, measured) in most jeans. If I put on a real 32 or 33 they'd fall off me. If the waist is loose, good luck. That's a highly compromised alteration. No other things to worry about that I can think of, but if there are construction issues, you'll find out soon enough.

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
grundle- pipes over classics. classics are bulging funny cause theres too much room in that calf to be cuffed like that, it doesn't have anywhere to fall... and the pockets on the pipes are more on your butt, the classics it looks like it's about to go off the side

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
soaking jeans does this to spurr classics:
IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0854.jpg
i don't have my tape measure handy but i'm pretty damn sure the inseam shrunk at least an inch. my permanent advice after the pipes and classics is to soak spurrs as soon as you get them as it will not only change the fit a little but it stiffens them up so they crease up better.

Whiskey

Reaction score
I am eyeing the ande whall slackers, sz 28, front rise 9.75, back rise 14.9

I like a mid rise but the back rise seems very high. my lvc 47's have a 10" and 14" rise and i love the way they fit.

Does a higher rise mean more of an anti-fit or saggy butt? It seems like the higher rise would cause more stretch in the butt area.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
soaking jeans does this to spurr classics: my permanent advice after the pipes and classics is to soak spurrs as soon as you get them as it will not only change the fit a little but it stiffens them up so they crease up better.
Well duhhh... ;-) (The calf, which Connor mentioned, was my only gripe, but I put it down to an awkward photo - I htink the length and drape look better on them now).
Originally Posted by Whiskey
I am eyeing the ande whall slackers, sz 28, front rise 9.75, back rise 14.9 I like a mid rise but the back rise seems very high. my lvc 47's have a 10" and 14" rise and i love the way they fit. Does a higher rise mean more of an anti-fit or saggy butt? It seems like the higher rise would cause more stretch in the butt area.
They're clearly meant to be 'slouched' or 'sagged' - worn low, anti-fit, with a saggier butt. IMO. Based on the rises and fit. That's a newer cut and style. Repro cuts don't work as well worn that way, strangely. But that's partially due to the cut of the leg too.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Well duhhh... ;-)

(The calf, which Connor mentioned, was my only gripe, but I put it down to an awkward photo - I htink the length and drape look better on them now).

yeah and that was after a solid week of wear. they were too long and waaaay too soft to take on any recognizable shape. they roast beef curtain effect is gone and now it's time to start wearing these bitches with confidence.

bma

Reaction score
should i always soak new, raw jeans before i break them in?

Murdoc

Reaction score
Ah so, basically dont go in and ask for the waist to be altered or I'll look like a tool.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bma
should i always soak new, raw jeans before i break them in?
not always but it's not a bad idea to do it. i'd definitely soak before any hemming or alterations. people claim that sanforized denim won't shrink but that's not my experience. it may not shrink as much as unsanforized (which you should definitely soak), but the inseam usually loses some length from what i've seen personally. my CvFs lost nearly 2" in length after a cold wash on delicate.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Murdoc
Ah so, basically dont go in and ask for the waist to be altered or I'll look like a tool.
It's a hard job to do unless you want darts/pleats. The jeans have to be taken apart, cut and resewn whereas jobs like a taper can just be done from the in/outseam

Whiskey

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys! this thread is sooo helpful.

I have a pair of APCs that i've been wearing pretty much everday for the last month so honeycombs and creases have begun to start settling in. I've heard of people soaking sanforized when they first get them.

Am i past the point of no return? i kind of want to get some length out of the way.

.Impulsv

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can still find Levi 501xx STF 30x34 in the Knight color? They seem to be out of stock everywhere.

If not, can I get a recommendation for jeans that fit similarly with white stitching instead of gold? I can provide any measurements you need from my pair of 501s. Which measurements should I provide?

EDIT:
My current 501s measurements are the following:
Waist: 31"
Front Rise: 11"
Back Rise: 15"
Inseam: 31 3/4"
Opening: 7 3/4"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads