• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Part of the problem is my stereo receiver is on its last legs right now, so I need something to replace that. If I buy a new AV receiver today I think you are looking at buying at the minimum a $500 receiver for one with a pre out. It might be easier to go the separates route right than do this. If I had something that was functioning with a pre-out I would definitely look at picking up an amp.

But you could use the AVR as the amp as well while you stash cash for upgrades to allow for pre+power amp set-up, yes?

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
But you could use the AVR as the amp as well while you stash cash for upgrades to allow for pre+power amp set-up, yes?

What would you suggest for separates? I originally had planned on getting this done for around 1000 when I thought of buying an AVR, but I would rather spend wisely and not have to replace things in 2-3yrs down the road for scalability. This project is my indulgance as part of my bonus that gets paid in a few weeks, the majority of which is going to savings. Fortunately I am in a position where I don't have to wait and save to upgrade.

Let's hear some ideas on the separates side. Just remember this will be split evenly between theater and music and I am not going to add rears at the moment b/c there is nowhere to put them.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
What would you suggest for separates? I originally had planned on getting this done for around 1000 when I thought of buying an AVR, but I would rather spend wisely and not have to replace things in 2-3yrs down the road for scalability. This project is my indulgance as part of my bonus that gets paid in a few weeks, the majority of which is going to savings. Fortunately I am in a position where I don't have to wait and save to upgrade.

Let's hear some ideas on the separates side. Just remember this will be split evenly between theater and music and I am not going to add rears at the moment b/c there is nowhere to put them.

Also look at the NAD Viso 2.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question to which I could not find the answer.
Will Denon DL-160 with output of 1.6mV damage my Moving Coil phono amp whose input range is 0.8mV to 1.0mV ?
Is there any danger of "overloading" ?
Is there a any danger of sound distortion ?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
I have a question to which I could not find the answer.
Will Denon DL-160 with output of 1.6mV damage my Moving Coil phono amp whose input range is 0.8mV to 1.0mV ?
Is there any danger of "overloading" ?
Is there a any danger of sound distortion ?

Depends, probably not but what specific phono amp do you have?

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to go the Peachtree Nova route and also get Apple TV. I think this is the best solution that will address my needs. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I think I am going to go the Peachtree Nova route and also get Apple TV. I think this is the best solution that will address my needs. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Great choice, love the Nova. Terrific sound. Enjoy!

deaddog

Reaction score
WRT getting good music out of 5.1 setups, and assuming you are not averse to used equipment, I highly recommend a used Anthem AVM20. No HDMI but all other bells and whistles with great surround sound 5.1 slam and -most important to me - really nice 2 channel stereo. I paid something like $3000 for mine years ago but the current resale for excellent condition is well under $1000.

As for the Peachtree Nova, I really like mine but primarily because of its versatility with the built-in DAC. If you don't need the DAC, I'd look elsewhere. I think the amp is perhaps slightly weak and I found the volume control to insuffcientily "staged" for want of a better term - difficult to play quietly.

Sherlockian

Reaction score
I'm currently dusting off my early 2000s Arcam Alpha 7r amp, CD72 disc player and Mission 771e speakers, which have been sitting in the cupboard since moving house. A nice simple, reliable and decent sounding setup for not too much money.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deaddog
WRT getting good music out of 5.1 setups, and assuming you are not averse to used equipment, I highly recommend a used Anthem AVM20. No HDMI but all other bells and whistles with great surround sound 5.1 slam and -most important to me - really nice 2 channel stereo. I paid something like $3000 for mine years ago but the current resale for excellent condition is well under $1000.

As for the Peachtree Nova, I really like mine but primarily because of its versatility with the built-in DAC. If you don't need the DAC, I'd look elsewhere. I think the amp is perhaps slightly weak and I found the volume control to insuffcientily "staged" for want of a better term - difficult to play quietly.

The DAC is key for me as well. If I find the Nova amp doesn't meet my needs I can always pick up a 2 channel amp.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The DAC is key for me as well. If I find the Nova amp doesn't meet my needs I can always pick up a 2 channel amp.
DACs are back in vogue with all the interest in computer audio and headphone-based systems. I have been listening to the new Audio Research DAC7 at a local dealer and I really like it. I have also been considering an iBasso DAC/amp for my new Grado headphones.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very modest setup: Onkyo SR805 -> B&W 683s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads