• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RULES for the tall and skinny man

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Clothes from Asia Something I intend to explore in the future is clothes from Asian countries, for the simple fact that Asians are thinner and their clothes are, too. Now, for the tall and skinny I suspect that Asian shirts/tops/etc may be problematic-- sleeve and jacket lengths may be on the short side. But shorts and pants may definitely fit better in the thigh than Western brands. I've been checking out Yes Style, which carries a ton of Asian brands and lists measurements. It seems that Korean brands might work best for us. Japanese are generally short people, but Koreans are often as tall as westerners, and I'm seeing that reflected in their clothing brands. Here's a model from Yesstyle (whose measurements are given as 6'2'' 150 lbs) wearing a Hong Kong brand:
L_g8341030_4203298.jpg

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
Clothes from Asia

Something I intend to explore in the future is clothes from Asian countries, for the simple fact that Asians are thinner and their clothes are, too. Now, for the tall and skinny I suspect that Asian shirts/tops/etc may be problematic-- sleeve and jacket lengths may be on the short side. But shorts and pants may definitely fit better in the thigh than Western brands.

I've been checking out Yes Style, which carries a ton of Asian brands and lists measurements. It seems that Korean brands might work best for us. Japanese are generally short people, but Koreans are often as tall as westerners, and I'm seeing that reflected in their clothing brands. Here's a model from Yesstyle (whose measurements are given as 6'2'' 150 lbs) wearing a Hong Kong brand:

Yesstyle has some stuff that looks ok but, like most Korean brands, the quality can be pretty ****. Fit is usually good though.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW H&M still have their sweaters with super long sleeves.

ironduke

Reaction score
The length of typical Korean casual brands clothing is similar to the length of Uniqlo clothing, I think. I heard some designer brands have longer sleeve than a typical brand. They are more expensive so I did not try it. A RTW shirt for a 6ft person do not exist in Korea except a Marks & Spencer store. A RTW suit is similar, quite baggy.

card_richelieu

Reaction score
I would be interested in your experiences/thoughts on pleats vs. flat fronts for wool dress pants. I'm 6-2/165, 33-34. I don't know how many times I've read that pleats are only for overweight/short guys. Yet a mirror test of pleats vs. flats - I invariably choose pleats. My mind is consistently telling me that they look better. Is my intuition failing me?

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
^ your waist is 33-34? If so, then pleats are fine.

The reason that pleats look bad on a 30'-31' waist is that most brands use pleats to add a balloon to the seat and thighs. If you're skinny, it looks like **** cause your pants have a baggy ass and thighs.

But if you wear a 33-34 and your legs are a normal size, pleats look fine because they accommodate your (normal size) butt and thighs.

Mr. White

Reaction score
My rule is that shirt/slack looks horrible on skinny guys. The shirt puffs out at the waistline while the pants creep up! It looks like a silent movie costume. In my opinion, dress/business clothes were designed to flatter middle aged men with belly fat. So always wear a jacket and hide that awful intersection of skinny waist with skinny hips.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
^ wow, sweeping generalization!

Mr. White, they only look bad when they don't fit. If you get custom shirts that fit in the chest and pants by slim-cut brands (like the ones mentioned in this thread), you'll look like a million bucks. If you shop at most US stores that cater to larger customers, then yeah, it's all gonna look like **** on you.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Oh sure, when I was young and rail thin, I had some OTR shirts taken in along the sides. Considering that I could get a quality shirt for $5.99 at a discount outlet, I really didn't care if it fit my stomach as long as it fit my wallet.

cheyrou

Reaction score
This thread is really good, I appreciate it a whole bunch. Im 6'4.75" and <140lbs. And im not gaining any weight anytime soon.

wsblend

Reaction score
Anyone else buy lots of Lands End? I buy from them mostly because they have a huge volume of medium-talls but some of their clothes have too "relaxed" of a fit whereas some others are reasonable.

Me: 6'1", 38" chest, 15.5 neck, 35" arm, 33" waist, 32.5-3 inseam.

I find their long sleeve pima polos not too big-fitting.

Their turtlenecks, on the other hand, have really huge arm holes.

They have a "tailored" line of clothes, haven't tried them yet..

wsblend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonofstan
I'll be 50 this year and weigh, and look- grey hair excepted - much the same as I did when I was 18. I've never watched what i eat.

Find a way to market that to other babyboomers and your grandchildrens' children won't have to work a day in their lives.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads