• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to tailor a dual-use jacket

dbc

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I'm looking to tailor a charcoal colored jacket for use in both a business setting and for dressy-casual occasions. Perhaps something along the lines of this:

tumblr_ktp6gtwkwR1qzazj5o1_400.jpg

Hoping you can help me out here. I'm looking at something relatively slim so is there anything I should mention to my tailor on top of the following?

- Double vents
- Two button
- Narrow lapels (How narrow can I go without it being too informal?)
- High armholes (How high do I go? I read somewhere on SF that its the height between my thumb and little finger extended?)
- What do you recommend I specify with regards to pockets?

Also, I live in Singapore which is perenially scorching. So ideally I'm looking for something quite lightweight. I've read about Thomas Mason cotton and David & John Anderson but the former seems quite pricey and I don't know any tailors here who carry the latter.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

dbc

Reaction score
Oh and yes if anyone can help on top of this, where should the suit end (which part of the bottom) and can I ask for a Neapolitan-esque padding?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you already own similar jackets at all, or is this your first foray into tailored clothing generally?

dbc

Reaction score
First foray, yup.

dbc

Reaction score
Any body, please?

brittain

Reaction score
My only suggestions are to not go with a lapel as skinny as the model is wearing, and to not get besom pockets like he has. I think besom pockets are better off on more formal jackets. As far as the length, most will tell you it should come to the first joint of your fingers. For something that slim with smaller lapels, you could probably get a way with it being a little shorter than that if you like.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Blue rather than gray.

dbc

Reaction score
Thanks folks.

Is around 2" for a lapel too narrow? I'm probably looking at a notched one.

I'll be looking closely at mohair, thanks for the suggestion!

If somebody and just help with the armholes and shoulder padding queries, I'll be off to the tailor soon
smile.gif

hymo

Reaction score
2 inch is most definitely too narrow.

Armholes and shoulder padding is a matter of negotiation with your tailor. You'll find out if you've won or lost when you collect the suit.

dbc

Reaction score
Ok folks, thanks for all the help.

Just got a bespoke 2 piece charcoal made the other day. 2 3/4 inch lapels. Double vent, two button. Thought screw it about the climate (since I travel a bit), and got a Super 130 wool. Fitting next Tuesday.

Anything besides the usual (high and tight armholes, back doesn't crumple, jacket stays on shirt collar, length at first joint of thumb) that I should be looking for?

Cheers.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Just got a bespoke 2 piece charcoal made the other day. 2 3/4 inch lapels. Double vent, two button. Thought screw it about the climate (since I travel a bit), and got a Super 130 wool. Fitting next Tuesday.

Anything besides the usual (high and tight armholes, back doesn't crumple, jacket stays on shirt collar, length at first joint of thumb) that I should be looking for?

The lapels are still rather narrow. Men do not follow the fashions.

As for fit, there's no reason to measure length by the thumb. Arm length varies too much. If it doesn't cover your bum, it's too short. Substantially more, and it's too long. Trust the tailor on this one.

Finally, a charcoal suit jacket will never be anything but a charcoal suit jacket. It is certainly not a dual-use item.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
The lapels are still rather narrow. Men do not follow the fashions.

As for fit, there's no reason to measure length by the thumb. Arm length varies too much. If it doesn't cover your bum, it's too short. Substantially more, and it's too long. Trust the tailor on this one.

Finally, a charcoal suit jacket will never be anything but a charcoal suit jacket. It is certainly not a dual-use item.

Thank you for your comments, I'll bear that in mind when I go for the fitting.

WRT to the dual-use comment, I think what I meant by that was a suit that's suitable for work and other occasions, like a suit-up occasion at a club. No going to pair it with jeans
smile.gif

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Thank you for your comments, I'll bear that in mind when I go for the fitting.

WRT to the dual-use comment, I think what I meant by that was a suit that's suitable for work and other occasions, like a suit-up occasion at a club. No going to pair it with jeans
smile.gif

Glad to hear it. Suit up!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc

Also, I live in Singapore which is perenially scorching. So ideally I'm looking for something quite lightweight. I've read about Thomas Mason cotton and David & John Anderson but the former seems quite pricey and I don't know any tailors here who carry the latter.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

These are brands of shirting fabrics not cloth for suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads