• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clear sunglasses

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you all think about the clear type sunglasses?

The type I mean is when the lens is usually greensih, and is quite clearm, and the eyes themselves are visible. The type I am thinking about are in the Ray-Ban aviator style with thin gold frames, and the above mentioned lenses.

For some reason these glasses remind me of drug dealers from the 1970's. Notably the movie "Blow."

Timothy

Reaction score
I have a pair of D&G frameless with clear to light gray gradient lenses, and they are my favorite sunglasses (I do have a bunch of others from which to choose). I have to admit that part of my love of them is that I can also wear them out to clubs at night. If you don't want to feel like a character out of Blow maybe you could get them in a light yellow, reminiscent of shooting glasses form the 70's and 80's. Then though you might feel like a character out of Beverly Hills Cop 2. I say if you dig them then just go with it, indulge in the swank persona of Boston George ;].

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason these glasses remind me of drug dealers from the 1970's. Notably the movie "Blow."
Is there anything wrong with this? I pull off this look in the summer alot, and it looks great. I have the same long blondish hair as Johnny Depp in the movie. I used to have a pair of avaitors (lost in an airport in Mexico), that I'd wear with a white linen button down. Aviators a timeless fashion; I'd get them.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look, get them.

Sidenote: the only time I will wear sunglasses at night is in Vegas. Otherwise, just seems too flashy to me.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mike C.

I find nothing wrong with that particular look. Quite frankly I think it looks quite good on certain people.

I did buy a pair of vintage Ray Bans actually. They are a very thin gold frames in the aviator style, and green glass lenses. The frame is 12 kt gold filled.

And also I sometimes wear sunglasses at night. I heard in Italy people wear them at night the most.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did buy a pair of vintage Ray Bans actually. They are a very thin gold frames in the aviator style, and green glass lenses. The frame is 12 kt gold filled.
Sounds very cool. Did you find them on eBay or something?
And also I sometimes wear sunglasses at night. I heard in Italy people wear them at night the most.
Perhaps not as much as you think, but it does happen more often than other places I've seen. Glasses like these are really popular here right now, for both guys and girls. They're into the big shields with light tinted lenses. Too flashy for my tastes though...

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I actually just bought a pair of G. Armani framless smoked lens glasses (a tad bit darker than clear, but can still see through) to wear out in the clubs/lounges. So, far, when paired with the right clothes, I have received nothing but compliments. But, to mirror what is said above, as with all things, these glasses must be worn with the right clothes, people, atmosphere, and attitude.

ScottMcCavanaugh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

The type I mean is when the lens is usually greensih, and is quite clearm, and the eyes themselves are visible. The type I am thinking about are in the Ray-Ban aviator style with thin gold frames, and the above mentioned lenses.

I tend to agree mostly, and I really got a whole lotta information outa here,
but I'm just not completely sure that I'm understanding the depth to this.
Would anybody care to expand just a little more?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I dislike them.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, cool look. I like light grey or light blue lens, but you have to be careful not to look like Ali G!
laugh.gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or folks from the ghetto. Cartiers in particular.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sunglasses provide protection from the sun but also allow one to look around somewhat discreetly. For this reason, I want the lens to be dark enough that one can't see my eyes.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Why would someone wear sunglasses at night?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads