• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Has anybody purchased either of the 2 J Crew versions of the Longwings?
Real life pics? Do the colors look similar to what is posted on the site?

+1. I'd really like to see some details of the lighter color. Maybe even a fit pic?
colgate.gif

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
+1. I'd really like to see some details of the lighter color. Maybe even a fit pic?
colgate.gif

Look back in this thread and in the S/S10 J.Crew thread.

Dexter_

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm thinking of ordering either the AF53 from Alden of Carmel or the PTBoot w/Crepe Sole from LS. Both boots come in #8 Cordo and look pretty similar except for the lasts - Truebalance VS Barrie and the sole - Commando VS Crepe.

Has anybody worn either one on a daily basis? I'll probably wear it for work (NOT suite/tie workplace) so I want to find out if it will be comfortable for everyday wear given the proper fitting. Pics would be great as well!

I'm leaning towards the LS pair because I like the look of the Barrie last which gives it more of a dressy and sleek look yet can still be dressed down. The AF53 looks rather bulbous on the toe based on the pictures on AC's website.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Aquaphor

Reaction score
I think the AF53 will look pretty good as a more casual boot due to the bulbous toe and I like how it doesn't have metal eyelets like the LS version... but LS is $55 cheaper for #8's!

schrike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
Hi folks. I'm thinking of ordering either the AF53 from Alden of Carmel or the PTBoot w/Crepe Sole from LS. Both boots come in #8 Cordo and look pretty similar except for the lasts - Truebalance VS Barrie and the sole - Commando VS Crepe.

Has anybody worn either one on a daily basis? I'll probably wear it for work (NOT suite/tie workplace) so I want to find out if it will be comfortable for everyday wear given the proper fitting. Pics would be great as well!

I'm leaning towards the LS pair because I like the look of the Barrie last which gives it more of a dressy and sleek look yet can still be dressed down. The AF53 looks rather bulbous on the toe based on the pictures on AC's website.

I have the AF53 and wear it roughly every other day. I think they're very comfortable; I briefly tried on a Barrie boot at a store and didn't think it felt as comfortable (though obviously those weren't broken in). In general, I've heard Trubalance is an orthopetic last (I think that's the word?), so it should be pretty comfortable. They're a bit heavy; not sure if that is because it is a boot with steel shank or more because of the commando sole -- but it's not a big issue. I don't have any pictures, but I don't think the toe is too bulbous; the footbox is reasonably roomy, but I think it looks good in person. I think the main difference is that Trubalance looks a little more rounded (doesn't quite have the angle on the outer edge that those PTBoots have in the picture) -- ends up looking fairly simple and clean to me.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_

It looks like the PTBoot from Leather Soul is sold out.....

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
What wouldn't I wear them with?

Actually, I think those would look fantastic with khakis or even white denim..

Yeah, that seems pretty limiting. Maybe some kind of plaid slacks with a little blue in the pattern but still, brown seems so much more versatile.

But it is a gorgeous boot!

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aquaphor
I think the AF53 will look pretty good as a more casual boot due to the bulbous toe and I like how it doesn't have metal eyelets like the LS version... but LS is $55 cheaper for #8's!

Hmm. Didn't notice the metal eyelets. What's so bad about them? Yes, $55 is something to consider. I guess the Trubalance last and commando sole add a little bit to the package.

Originally Posted by schrike
I have the AF53 and wear it roughly every other day. I think they're very comfortable; I briefly tried on a Barrie boot at a store and didn't think it felt as comfortable (though obviously those weren't broken in). In general, I've heard Trubalance is an orthopetic last (I think that's the word?), so it should be pretty comfortable. They're a bit heavy; not sure if that is because it is a boot with steel shank or more because of the commando sole -- but it's not a big issue.

I don't have any pictures, but I don't think the toe is too bulbous; the footbox is reasonably roomy, but I think it looks good in person. I think the main difference is that Trubalance looks a little more rounded (doesn't quite have the angle on the outer edge that those PTBoots have in the picture) -- ends up looking fairly simple and clean to me.

It might just be AC's pics on their website which gives it an illusion of the footbox being bigger than what it really is. I agree, the Trubalance is rounder and gives off a rugged look. Its probably why it goes well with the Indy style and commando soles.

Originally Posted by Ahab
It looks like the PTBoot from Leather Soul is sold out.....

Yeah, it looks that way. I saw on the blog comments that a restock could be possible in the next 5 months. I got word from AC as well that they don't have my size, 9D, on the AF53 neither and they expect more shipments in May. I guess the good thing out of this is it will give me a few months to think about which one to get!

emeterioy

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some sizing help, if im a 9.5 in converse chucks, 9.5 in clark DB, 10.5 in vans and 9.5 in Red wing GT what size would I be in Indy Boots?

Thanks in advance.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sipang
Is there any advantage to a plantation sole beside better traction on wet surfaces ?

comfort!

It's pretty squishy and it's also surprisingly long-lasting. I have 2 pairs now

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellran
Have guys seen the new Aldens at Leffot?
DSC_00051.jpg

I just died and went to shoe heaven. I wouldn't wear them much but damn are these F***ers beautiful.

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Plus they are very, vert quiet. Makes an amazing difference if you wear dress shoes with leather soles daily!

Yes, this is one of my favorite things about plantation rubber soles!
fing02[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads