• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chain stitch hemming

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Old thread, but seems like I remember someone (whodini?) showing good roping on the hems of a pair of non-chainstitched jeans, disproving the myth that roping is a chainstitch-only benefit. That post had to be from a while back, though.

Yes, that was me. Don't remember where the post is but I have plenty of non-chainstitched jeans as well as chainstitched jeans that have roping. It has to do with how the fabric is slightly twisted when stitched.

I still standby my vote for people not wasting their time tracking down a Union Special unless it's part of the service. You're not missing out on a damn thing.

c00kz

Reaction score
The stitching has broken a couple of times. This'll be their third time at my jeans since october or so.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw only one or two people who made an attempt to answer this guy's original question: Blue in Green, Self Edge and Blue Owl Workshop offer chainstitch hemming. - To get hems at these places as an add service (BiG and Blue Owl offer it free with purchase), you'll need to know the inseam length you want when you send them in. Shipping is on you, plus the $15-$25 charge. Insure your package and include instructions as well as thread color, if applicable (standard gold, colormatch, etc). Most local tailors will charge as much, so I find that it's worth it for a proper denim hem alone. - A denim hem will use up one full inch of material, fyi. Remember to request the hemmed material back for future patches. Union special is only one brand that makes a chainstitch machine. Singer does too. Professional grade ones can be had for $700-$1,200. Union Specials were the original tool used, and for many reasons purists appreciate the legacy, as well as the stitch quality. - Chainstitching is not as strong as a lockstitch (it can unravel) however the directional pressure and tautness of the stitch, working with the shrink/stretch cycles of the denim (not the fact that the thread is cotton or poly), helps promote roping of the hems. The stitch is more attractive to many when visible, like when cuffing. It is not the only way to get roping of the hems. - An animated link showing the difference between a chainstitch and a lock stitch is shown here.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I still standby my vote for people not wasting their time tracking down a Union Special... You're not missing out on a damn thing.

Apart from the fact the stitching looks different.

PLenty of modern jeans manufacturers (H&M, TopSHop) have chainstitched hems - but they look recognisably different from 50s hems, or LVC, or SC. Not nesessarily worse, but definitely different.

As for a standard stitch... I had my Lee 101 repros restitched just to get the chainstitch. A standard hem simply looks wrong on any classic post-30s design.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For the record, hemming is free at both SESF and SENY if the jeans are bought in-store and never use left over raw denim scraps to repair jeans, always use denim fusing material.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pablo-T
. A standard hem simply looks wrong on any classic post-30s design.
Perhaps from a repro detail perspective but functionally speaking, and with all due respect, who gives a ****? As I said before, if it's a service that is provided as part of the original purchase (ie, Self Edge) then it's a great detail in the original spirit of the product. But give out general advice for tell some kid Podunk, KS or Papa New Guinea to read that his jeans don't look right because he didn't send them out to the right vintage machine is just a touch on the side of snobbish douchebaggery. Given that this is a forum with a healthy membership of people who spend $200+ buying a pair of pants, there's enough of that going around as it is; we should try to keep things in check at some point.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Perhaps from a repro detail perspective but functionally speaking, and with all due respect, who gives a ****? ...But give out general advice for tell some kid Podunk, KS or Papa New Guinea to read that his jeans don't look right because he didn't send them out to the right vintage machine is just a touch on the side of snobbish douchebaggery. Given that this is a forum with a healthy membership of people who spend $200+ .
I've certainly never advised anyone to buy a $200 pair of jeans. But to buy a decent pair of jeans, and then have the wrong type of hem for the want of an extra $10 or $15, is simply a waste of money, not "snobbish douchebaggery". When you come to sell your worn-in pair on eBay, as I do, you'll find you more than get your money back for a decent hem - no-one will pay as much for jeans that have been ruined by a cheap job. Ship, penny, tar. Edit, for people who care. Chainstitch on my SDA103XX by The Clerk, departmentofworks.com. He's in Brighton I believe, up at Greenwich Market many weekends & also does a postal service:
Shorter.jpg
Union Specials at Son of a Stag, Truman Breweries. They charge more, £20 as opposed to £18, but will do it while you wait:
IMG_0945.jpg

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
That's great to know, Kiya. Is this a recent change?

Nope, jeans bought in-store always come with free hemming.
Jeans bought online are charged $15 for hemming (we can't offer free shipping AND free hemming)

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've certainly never advised anyone to buy a $200 pair of jeans. But to buy a decent pair of jeans, and then have the wrong type of hem for the want of an extra $10 or $15, is simply a waste of money, not "snobbish douchebaggery".

When you come to sell your worn-in pair on eBay, as I do, you'll find you more than get your money back for a decent hem - no-one will pay as much for jeans that have been ruined by a cheap job. Ship, penny, tar.

Edit, for people who care.

Chainstitch on my SDA103XX by The Clerk, departmentofworks.com. He's in Brighton I believe, up at Greenwich Market many weekends & also does a postal service:

Shorter.jpg

Union Specials at Son of a Stag, Truman Breweries. They charge more, £20 as opposed to £18, but will do it while you wait:
IMG_0945.jpg

an extra £2 for while you wait service would be incredible. sometimes waiting for a hem job you know takes 30 minutes, but sometimes they give you a turnaround time of a ******* week?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I've certainly never advised anyone to buy a $200 pair of jeans. But to buy a decent pair of jeans, and then have the wrong type of hem for the want of an extra $10 or $15, is simply a waste of money, not "snobbish douchebaggery".
Regardless of your previous advice, $2-300+ jeans are the norm around here. If $200 for jeans is that outlandish of an idea for you, imagine what Joe Schmo is thinking with photos of 20 quid hem jobs.

"Wrong" isn't black and white here. You may have a personally-vested interest in the matter but the bottom line is that it is an aesthetic detail. I liken it to buying a classic car: some people prefer the convenience and practicality of buying after-market products but you can't chide them for not spending the extra effort to find and purchase the original parts.

Lighten up.
When you come to sell your worn-in pair on eBay, as I do, you'll find you more than get your money back for a decent hem - no-one will pay as much for jeans that have been ruined by a cheap job. Ship, penny, tar.
That's great because that actually plays back to my classic car analogy. People WILL pay for the original article. But how many people on this forum, let alone in the world, actually do what you do?

You've given your own advice the proper context. In a broader sense, using words like "decent" to describe a chainstitched hem while calling anything else "ruined by a cheap job" appears brutal. But that's frankly silly when next to no one purchases their jeans with the idea of reselling them worn in the future.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
Nope, jeans bought in-store always come with free hemming.
Jeans bought online are charged $15 for hemming (we can't offer free shipping AND free hemming)

Next question - how much does it cost to hem a pair I bought online, soaked and then bring in to SENY? And how much for non-SE jeans?

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Levis weren't chainstiched?

anybody got pics side by side of chainstiched versus non to see how wrong they look?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads