• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Mag: Gilt selling merch made for Gilt

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can it grow like Yoox by extending the number of brands and to other countries? I don't live in US so I did not register to Gilt, but how if the difference between the two in pricing?

Icehawk

Reaction score
True, but some of us actually want the first quality items... which are available at lesser discounts through places like Yoox or Bluefly.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
Ultimately, it had to happen if Gilt wanted to grow. By definition, how much 'overstock' of first quality goods can there be? With more than 1.5 million members (and growing rapidly), how can the supply of sample and overstock possibly keep up?

If their membership grows, and they keep selling first-quality merchandise at a deep discount, how long will the full retail margin of those goods be sustainable? The only way Gilt could have been sustainable in the long run is if they capped membership numbers, which would obviously inhibit growth. With this model, they're trying to have their cake and eat it too - which as others have noted, Ralph Lauren has already proven can work.

Hey, doing it is one thing. Doing it without disclosing they're doing it is another.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
huh?
rolleyes.gif

Meaning that I've yet to find anythnig there that I did not already know about or hear about. The articles are fluff piece crap for the most part and do we really need to be told about every new restaurant that opens up in SoHo which will be closed in 6 months anyway? You know more about NYC by walking around and "doing" than by reading this rag.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about - who said anything about a mag replacing personal experience? Pretty much everyone I know here gets the NY Mag - it's like $20 a year... How can it not be "worth" it? Just the Cheap Eats and Best Eats issues alone are worth the $20. The other fifty issues are gravy

And yeah, I like to know about new places around my hood - why not. Do you have a rag that tells you about new places around your hood?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

And yeah, I like to know about new places around my hood - why not. Do you have a rag that tells you about new places around your hood?

Nope, I just find go out and if a place looks interesting, I go in. I just don't feel like going through all the fluff that is in NY mag, and at least 90% of it is fluff IMO. If you like it and use it, then it is obviously worthwhile to you.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
The fad is over.

Actually, Gilt has popularized the "limited time" sale fad. neiman and ebay are doing it, among others. I think Neiman specifically mentioned Gilt as the reason. Obviously, the money is just too good to pass up when it comes to made for outlet items and there is only so much "real" designer merchandise to go around the myriad of sales outlets that exist. The Gilt CEO is a smart woman and probably is looking for an IPO down the road and you need to have steady, predictable inventory if you are looking to grow the business.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gilt's response is here: Link Sounds like they are going to continue to hide the items made specifically for Gilt. Also, their "elite buyer's club" attitude is getting old. Just because I need an invite to purchase something doesn't make it an elite club. That's like Sam's club having the attitude that their customers are special, and if you don't like it, you can just go shop at Wal-Mart. I'm not sure why the Gilt rep uses such snark when discussing concerns like these. If I emailed Gilt with a concern about their practices, and I received a response as rude as some of their comments on here, I would be really ticked off.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
As I have previously noted, Gilt is becoming more of a hassle than it's worth. I'm moving on. The fad is over.

Agreed. The Duncan Quinn Experience was ridiculous. Jetsetter? Bodum?

Gilt is more or less spam to me now.

lefty

mccvi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I just don't feel like going through all the fluff that is in NY mag, and at least 90% of it is fluff IMO.
That's what hired help is for, c'mon this is nyc. Then they tell you about the 10% of worthwhile reading, preferably over morning tea. Since unemployment is so high - consider hiring someone to do the job, and you'll feel good that your helping the economy move forward. mccvi typed and composed by: a.r.s. (hired help) approved by s.s.e. (head hired help)

japhi

Reaction score
Based on the reps response they may have online retailing down but they have a ways to go with PR and Customer Service.

A 180M company should have the resources to address the article with a well crafted press release, not snarky one line anwers.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by japhi
Based on the reps response they may have online retailing down but they have a ways to go with PR and Customer Service.

A 180M company should have the resources to address the article with a well crafted press release, not snarky one line anwers.

SoCal will take your concerns into consideration.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The article was very good.

Markets evolve rapidly, and the master one day is a slave the next.

It is impossible to determine whether an overstock just happened or was planned. I also don't see how to denigrate something made with leftover fabric, if it was the same quality (or the same fabric) of fabric the designer would have used previously.

The strongest issue is whether lower-quality items are being made specifically for sale by Gilt, as the NY Mag article alleges.

In all the Gilt responses so far, they have not yet denied this.

If the issue burns hotly enough, a consumer affairs agency or a publicity-minded attorney general may get involved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads