• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

building muscle to fit into clothes

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in that case, eat every hour

and energy dense foods. like laksa.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have much to add, except I'm 5'7" and 125lbs, and have the same problem. I'm currently working out a little more, and eating a little more. We'll see in a couple months if any weight gain is achieved. I'm considering being a cop after college, and at 125lbs I wouldn't be very imposing ; )

aizan

Reaction score
good idea. that's doable.

Runningman411

Reaction score
I don't think that's what another poster meant by "body image issues." Your fear of getting "fat" is the issue. Trust me, you have a LONG way to go before anyone will call you fat. At least 60 lbs...The acid reflux doesn't help, either.

If you really must keep your body fat low, though, expect to gain 1-2 lbs of lean mass or so per MONTH with a good exercise program and perfect nutrition...i.e., more protein, limited carbs/fats, set amount over maintenance. So, to increase your measurements by 2"? I'd say 8 months to a year.

Realistically, considering your aversion to food, I'd say 12-18 months.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
This thread is making me reconsider losing 20 lbs from 155 lbs (5'8).

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but why in the hell would you want to be 5'8, 135 lbs? Have we really gotten so carried away with weight in this country that 5'8, 155 lbs. is considered fat?
Do 5'8, 135 lbs. guys actually get laid? Those numbers might be acceptable for a 16 year old kid, but a man should have a little weight/muscle. Believe me, I'm no muscle head, but wanting to be 5'8, 135 lbs is just crazy.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but why in the hell would you want to be 5'8, 135 lbs? Have we really gotten so carried away with weight in this country that 5'8, 155 lbs. is considered fat?
Do 5'8, 135 lbs. guys actually get laid? Those numbers might be acceptable for a 16 year old kid, but a man should have a little weight/muscle. Believe me, I'm no muscle head, but wanting to be 5'8, 135 lbs is just crazy.

The big issue is what it's composed of. I haven't changed weight since my sophomore year in high school. The difference is that there is more muscle and a lot less fat. I was 5'10" at 165 lbs and was definitely fat.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eat food and lift weights, check back in 1 year.

You could join a gym and maybe use a trainer for a few months or just look up routines online or whatever. Or just find a really big muscle dude and do what he does. Most gyms when you sign up have someone there that will show you how all the machines work for free.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
The big issue is what it's composed of. I haven't changed weight since my sophomore year in high school. The difference is that there is more muscle and a lot less fat. I was 5'10" at 165 lbs and was definitely fat.

Fat where exactly, or as determined by whom? Not doubting a 5'10, 165 lb. guy could have a gut, but if so, it's unlikely that he'd have "fat" arms or "fat" legs, because if he did, he'd weigh more than 165. Maybe this is where the term skinny-fat comes into play?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fat where exactly, or as determined by whom? Not doubting a 5'10, 165 lb. guy could have a gut, but if so, it's unlikely that he'd have "fat" arms or "fat" legs, because if he did, he'd weigh more than 165. Maybe this is where the term skinny-fat comes into play?

Yup. Stick arms, a gut, etc.

TheRookie

Reaction score
Since you are starting from a totally untrained point, those measurement increases could be achieved in a month. Easily.

Squat, deadlift, dip (or bench press), overhead press
Eat a lot. When you can't swallow any more food, starting chugging whole milk.
Sleep a lot.
Repeat.

plhoang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Training for aesthetics is not a very enjoyable endeavor.

People train for other reasons? I'm confused....

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by plhoang
People train for other reasons? I'm confused....

Strength training / powerlifting

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not when all that fat is located in your thighs, butt, and stomach.

I'm gonna tone.

/waits for kunk to come and rip me a new butthole

plhoang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Strength training / powerlifting

Was joking.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics