• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Mag: Gilt selling merch made for Gilt

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
NY Mag is not worththe subscription if you are a true NYer, unless you want to be kept up to date on the latest asain massage parlor openings.

I don't know, they've had a number of very well done articles over the past year, and their way of posting all online stories across 10 web pages makes you want to give up and just buy the print edition after the third or fourth "next>>" click.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Hmmm I wonder about their watches.

is hautelook the same company as Gilt?

dl

No.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think together as a forum, we should band together and BOYCOTT GG.

Y'know, let them know that while their business practice is a sound and perfectly reasonable one, their execution and especially the element of deception that they have employed repeatedly is not cool.

I hate to think how many SF folk here have posted (with good intentions) PSAs for their site or otherwise attracted attention to their site, and this is what we get in return.

mccvi

Reaction score
NY Mag is not worththe subscription if you are a true NYer, unless you want to be kept up to date on the latest asain massage parlor openings.

shog[1].gif

Originally Posted by apropos
I think together as a forum, we should band together and BOYCOTT GG.

thumbs-up.gif

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear Costco's Kirkland OCBD shirts are good value for the money. Just sayin.

mystillwater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
If they let themselves turn into an online Outlet mall they will fail in the long term.

I don't know about that... it seems like outlet malls are doing pretty good here in America...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NY Mag is not worth the subscription if you are a true NYer

huh?
rolleyes.gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
I don't know about that... it seems like outlet malls are doing pretty good here in America...

They are, but that's not what Gilt markets themselves as and what their core consumer believes them to be. Maybe you are right and it won't matter, but I question it.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
They are, but that's not what Gilt markets themselves as and what their core consumer believes them to be. Maybe you are right and it won't matter, but I question it.

It's the dishonesty that bothers me. They can really hurt their business if people start questioning the MSRP numbers they claim and the legitimacy of their goods. Particularly since they don't do refunds and you can't see the items yourself before buying.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by z7f9q
It's the dishonesty that bothers me. They can really hurt their business if people start questioning the MSRP numbers they claim and the legitimacy of their goods. Particularly since they don't do refunds and you can't see the items yourself before buying.

I don't mind the MSRP inflation - that's just the way retail is going and it isn't a new trend. What will destroy them is if they claim the same MSRP as the legitimate goods, and then sell an inferior good at their better price.

Ultimately, I think they'll have to go to the TJMaxx style phraseology of "compare to" or "similar to ___ seen elsewhere" rather than claiming a specific MSRP. But selling inferior goods with the return policy as it stands will not work in the long run.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting for a Gilt rep. to clear this matter up.
skeletonIS_203x150.jpg

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
I don't mind the MSRP inflation - that's just the way retail is going and it isn't a new trend. What will destroy them is if they claim the same MSRP as the legitimate goods, and then sell an inferior good at their better price.

Ultimately, I think they'll have to go to the TJMaxx style phraseology of "compare to" or "similar to ___ seen elsewhere" rather than claiming a specific MSRP. But selling inferior goods with the return policy as it stands will not work in the long run.

I agree. MSRP inflation sucks, but is not the bigger issue. The real problem is selling lower quality items when you claim they are the mainline good stuff. Even this I wouldn't care about if they let me get my money back if I was not satisfied with the item, but they don't.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Waiting for a Gilt rep. to clear this matter up.

skeletonIS_203x150.jpg

I was thinking the same thing when I checked this thread this morning. I don't expect the rep to really solve anything or give an answer that will satisfy the community here, but it is surprising to me that nothing at all has been said.

Icehawk

Reaction score
I like Gilt but agree that a distinction needs to be made if an item is a Gilt "diffusion" item. My assumption is that anything purchased off Gilt is the same as if I had gone to Saks, NM, et al in person... if this isn't so it needs to be made public as their marketing is pretty deceptive otherwise.

tj100

Reaction score
Ultimately, it had to happen if Gilt wanted to grow. By definition, how much 'overstock' of first quality goods can there be? With more than 1.5 million members (and growing rapidly), how can the supply of sample and overstock possibly keep up?

If their membership grows, and they keep selling first-quality merchandise at a deep discount, how long will the full retail margin of those goods be sustainable? The only way Gilt could have been sustainable in the long run is if they capped membership numbers, which would obviously inhibit growth. With this model, they're trying to have their cake and eat it too - which as others have noted, Ralph Lauren has already proven can work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads