• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Converse Appreciation Thread

CorporateFresh

Reaction score
converse-spring-2010-jack-purcell-5-540x296.jpg

converse-spring-2010-jack-purcell-8-540x272.jpg

Converse Jack Purcell (Edward Boat) Spring 2010

*The JP boat shoe is a great new addition to the legacy of the 'other' first/last name Converse icon line. I will be purchasing the two models featured above. What about you?

Source http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/201...-jack-purcell/

Khelben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CorporateFresh
converse-spring-2010-jack-purcell-5-540x296.jpg

converse-spring-2010-jack-purcell-8-540x272.jpg

Converse Jack Purcell (Edward Boat) Spring 2010

*The JP boat shoe is a great new addition to the legacy of the 'other' first/last name Converse icon line. I will be purchasing the two models featured above. What about you?

Source http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/201...-jack-purcell/

I really don't understand at this pricepoint why wouldn't you get Sperry's? The Authentic Original's are $5 cheaper, you get leather instead of canvas, and you know it's quality construction (not saying that the JPs are not).

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
not feeling the love for those faux boat shoe/sneakers

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alternatives are fun? Liked the overall style or maybe he has a closet full of sperry's?

Really it all boils down to having a choice. This is also a Converse Appreciation thread so expect converse products. Just sayin, no offense.

Khelben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
alternatives are fun? Liked the overall style or maybe he has a closet full of sperry's?

Really it all boils down to having a choice. This is also a Converse Appreciation thread so expect converse products. Just sayin, no offense.

I know what thread I'm. My first sentence is a question asking why. I just like to know other people's thought processes.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Khelben
I know what thread I'm. My first sentence is a question asking why. I just like to know other people's thought processes.

yeah i don't see why you wouldn't just get sperrys either.

The canvas sperrys. when you're wearing deck shoes casually it can look a bit try hard, so the canvas ones are a nice compromise. either way both the converse and the sperrys would be good in summer.

laphroaig

Reaction score
What is the try-hardness to distance from boat ratio for Sperrys? Does it work on an inverse square law, as in do you have to take off your Sperrys as you step off the boat or be tazered by the fashion police? Or is it more logarithmic, where you could wear your Sperrys for a potential Sart pic in the meat packing district because just maybe you could have got lost on your way to the nearest wharf?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
What is the try-hardness to distance from boat ratio for Sperrys? Does it work on an inverse square law, as in do you have to take off your Sperrys as you step off the boat or be tazered by the fashion police? Or is it more logarithmic, where you could wear your Sperrys for a potential Sart pic in the meat packing district because just maybe you could have got lost on your way to the nearest wharf?

nah it's just me and my self-consciousness whenever i where something which is season specific.

especially when going to uni. i've pretty much got over being self conscious now. It took a while though, especially going to uni in NZ where boat shoes would be considered "dressy" to the general public. which is why i like boat shoes to have a bit of sneaker influence. makes it more age appropriate and less dressy.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Khelben
I really don't understand at this pricepoint why wouldn't you get Sperry's? The Authentic Original's are $5 cheaper, you get leather instead of canvas, and you know it's quality construction (not saying that the JPs are not).

Where do you see the price?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 13E in Red Wings, and a 14 in Adidas - so with Purcells I should probably get a 14, yes?

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Wanted to ask this about Chucks... mostly pertaining to their quality of recent years... Recently picked up my first pair of Chuck Taylors in about 5 years (excepting the Varvatos Chucks I picked up about 5 months ago). The last pair I got, and all the other pairs from before then have the traditional brown, all-rubber sole. This new pair I got... looks to have some weirdo combination of brown rubber and some kind of fibrous-looking composite? When did they start doing that? I haven't worn the new pair long enough to know how they will wear on the bottom... anyone have any input on this? Also noticed the diamond-pattern of the toe surround is quite stretched around the very front of the shoe, but more uniform on the sides. Not that I'm quite complaining about them; they just look a bit haphazardly made than all my old pairs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads