• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style icons.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Agree with most fo the above but cannot believe no one has mentioned Fellini's muse Marcello Mastroanni (sic?), Truffaut's + Godard's muse Jean-Paul Belmondo, and Gregory Peck

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Frank Sinatra - I definitely want to wear fedoras as often as I can when I'm older.

Tom Cruise - he just strikes me as a stylish guy.

Brad Pitt - he has the best casual looks I've ever seen.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My style icons vary tremendously - there are days when I want to be James Bond and days I want to be Jimmy Buffett.

Here though would be my top influences:

Cary Grant: To my mind, the epitome of a gentleman. Always properly dressed, always completely appropriate.

James Bond: The look to emulate anytime one must wear a tuxedo and the attitude to emulate at all times, i.e. anything that needs to be done is best done with style."

Lawrence Kudlow: Best dressed man on cable television. The perfect old-school, political insider, Wall Street look. Not over the top like a Gordon Gekko, but understated, clubby and very well put together.

Kevin Costner: To me, Costner is the archetype of the modern American male. From the unconstructed lines of his modern American athletes (Tin Cup, Bull Durham, For Love of the Game) to his other looks (fighter pilot, Revenge; boat builder, Message in a Bottle; or farmer, Field of Dreams) Costner has put together a body of work that shows how to be casual, yet stylish.

Bradford

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impressive thread resurrection. Since he's been discussed as of late, I'll nominate Bryan Ferry as one of the kings of cool/ sultans of suave. If love is the drug, he is the kingpin.

dbc

Reaction score
For smart:
Pierce Brosnan as James Bond

For casual:
Tyler Brule
Jefferson Hack
Hidetoshi Nakata

emptym

Reaction score
To be honest, I think my sister and her boyfriends were my earliest role models. But I also remember as a kid enjoying some of the clothes on late '70s and 80's TV shows, like The Lone Ranger, Bonanza, Hogan's Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Magnum PI, Remington Steele, CHIPs, 21 Jump St, it's spin-off Booker (?), etc.

My SF icons include:
the young Vox, the black-and-white, dressed by his father's valet version,
the post-Bush years Manton,
iammatt, well, really his London Lounge incarnation,
and the whole San Francisco and Hong Kong crews.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
20a52ll.gif

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Luciano Barbera. God I miss his clothing line.

They don't sell LB anymore in the Bay area?

- B

Dudufrias

Reaction score
Michael Caine.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Bond. James Bond.

EZ

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
They don't sell LB anymore in the Bay area?

- B

Just a few pieces. The few that are at Wilkes or Neimans (the SF store is apparently the only one left in the US that carries it, or so the SA at Neimans had told me) are all very full cut and miss the sparkle that was in the line only a few years ago. Does Bergdorf even sell anything more than a few items these days?

vince-t

Reaction score
mugatu

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads