• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sydney vs Perth

jobro

Reaction score
You're looking at around $500 for a 3 bed house per week in the outer suburbs. A modest 3 bedroom house for rent in the western central suburbs is going to be around $800-1200.

I personally would want to keep to the west of the North-South train line as I've known people to move in before they've checked out the neighbours (or school kids if your kids aren't in private school) and have been very dissapointed.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not trying to make you too homesick, but 200 metres from my front door
Cottesloe%2BBeach.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Ever since I first found Perth on the map I have been fascinated by it. I imagine it is like the Lost World. Are there T-Rexes?

I don't recall any T-Rexes ... but visiting the Pinnacals was an "unearthly" experience (see photo below).

I too was fascinated by Perth from an early age. Fortuantely a college friend married a cardiologist who makes her home there. He took to it quickly -- given a love of sailing how could he not? -- and before long was encouraging those of us back in the States to visit. I'm not one to turn down that kind of opportunity.

As an introvert ... I am attracted by the remoteness. As one who loves to get away from it all ... and yet takes security in the conforts of modern civilization being near at hand ... this is THE place. And the out-of-doors side of me just can't get enough.

Then again ... there is a part of me that fears being too removed from the performing and fine arts centers of the world. As my visits have been rather brief (never more than a few weeks) that fear has been kept in check. On a long term basis ... that might not be the case ... then again is anyone ever truly removed with transportation what it is today?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I
inlove.gif
Margaret River vineyards - great food, great wines, great arts & crafts and great countryside

DSC_3678_final.jpg

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Once the dig-it-out-and-ship-it-out stops, I wonder what will become of WA.

i wonder what will happen to sydney and melbourne when the dig-it-out-and-****-it-out stops propping up their budgets
tongue.gif

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
You're looking at around $500 for a 3 bed house per week in the outer suburbs. A modest 3 bedroom house for rent in the western central suburbs is going to be around $800-1200.

Wow... that's more than I expected. We're in a 3 bedroom in Sydney's West (the "good" west... Glenwood) and only paying $380. Lucky I got a decent pay rise.

What about cost of living compared to Sydney (e.g. insurance, groceries, etc)?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tba
(Melbourne is cheaper)

really?

I don't know anything about Perth (altho I used to visit every month or so on business, but just in and out) but always put it more in the Adelaide (my hometown) or Brisbane league of living costs. I lived in Melbourne for years, and basically consider it home, but it was a jump from Adelaide living costs for me. Perth's even higher? Be getting Sydney-ish if it's higher than Mel..

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
What about cost of living compared to Sydney (e.g. insurance, groceries, etc)?

Well I pay around $900 for insurance annually with a three bedroom home in 6010. Groceries come to about $250 a week for the two people in this house.

tba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
really?

I don't know anything about Perth (altho I used to visit every month or so on business, but just in and out) but always put it more in the Adelaide (my hometown) or Brisbane league of living costs. I lived in Melbourne for years, and basically consider it home, but it was a jump from Adelaide living costs for me. Perth's even higher? Be getting Sydney-ish if it's higher than Mel..

Housing costs are pretty high in Perth. It used to be a cheap place to buy, but not any more. Everyday stuff was basically the same.

My rent almost doubled in the two years I was there. Maybe is was just where I was living (Victoria Park), but heard similar stories from friends.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
really?

this used to be the case until about 2005-2006

melbourne is much more affordable for rent, food and drink

for my money melbourne is by far the best city to live in Australia as long as you dont like nice weather and good beaches.

unfortuantly i love beaches too much.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lived in sydney for 3 years, great town

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
That's Palin, right?

Nope it'd be Jack:
Jack van Tongeren (legal name Peter Joseph Van Tongeren) (born 1947) has been described as a white supremacist and extreme right wing Australian activist by the media. He was the leader of the neo-Nazi Australian Nationalist Movement (ANM). He served 13 years 1 month and 6 days in prison from 1989-2002 for arson, after firebombing businesses owned by Asians in Western Australia. He was tried in absentia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_van_Tongeren

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
this used to be the case until about 2005-2006

melbourne is much more affordable for rent, food and drink

for my money melbourne is by far the best city to live in Australia as long as you dont like nice weather and good beaches.

unfortuantly i love beaches too much.

Melbourne is great if you want to wear something other than shorts, thongs and a t shirt - like the rest of Oz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads