• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailors in seoul korea?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these 2 shirts from Hahn's. Picked it up today, not bad. $45 each.

dscn1021.jpg

dscn1022k.jpg

dscn1025s.jpg

lightsaber

Reaction score
What are the collars and cuffs like? When I ordered a pair of shirts from HAHN'S, they were RIDICULOUSLY stiff and thick. Like CARDBOARD. I'm not talking about normal stiff collars, I'm talking about bulletproof armour collars. I've ordered made-to-measure shirts at all different price ranges in several different countries around the world, but I never felt anything like this.

When I voiced my objections they told me it's "very difficult" to make shirts any other way. They told me the only other option is to have the cuffs and collars completely unstructured. What a joke! I have visited a few other cheap, so-so shirtmakers in Itaewon who at least were able to make reasonably comfortable collars and cuffs. Did they just not want to have to re-do my shirts, or is their work always like that? (I'm not going back to find out!)

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
fit pics?

coming soon

Originally Posted by lightsaber
What are the collars and cuffs like? When I ordered a pair of shirts from HAHN'S, they were RIDICULOUSLY stiff and thick. Like CARDBOARD. I'm not talking about normal stiff collars, I'm talking about bulletproof armour collars. I've ordered made-to-measure shirts at all different price ranges in several different countries around the world, but I never felt anything like this.

When I voiced my objections they told me it's "very difficult" to make shirts any other way. They told me the only other option is to have the cuffs and collars completely unstructured. What a joke! I have visited a few other cheap, so-so shirtmakers in Itaewon who at least were able to make reasonably comfortable collars and cuffs. Did they just not want to have to re-do my shirts, or is their work always like that? (I'm not going back to find out!)

My French cuff shirt seems to be a bit stiff. But hopefully with a few wears and some washes, it will be fine. The regular barrel cuff shirt is fine. The only thing is that is it somewhat difficult to button at the collar. I might try another shirt maker next time. I have a 3 piece suit made from him and I love it. It is a bit pricey but I think Hanh does a great job compared with the other tailors. Who do you use for shirts and suits?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the fit. Needs to be washed and ironed, but can't be bothered at the moment. Not the best pics, but it's the best I can do in a rush.

White shirt:
dscn1106f.jpg

dscn1107.jpg

dscn1108u.jpg

Blue checkered shirt:

dscn1109j.jpg

dscn1110o.jpg

Van-Guard23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
Did anyone hear any good things about NEW YORK TAILOR in Itaewon? I went to about 8 different tailors yesterday and they seem to have the most knowledge out of the other tailors.

New York Tailor is fine for men's suits but never make the mistake of having women's dresses made there. While Mr. Jeon, undoubtedly the knowledgeable person you dealt with, knows his men's suits, he and the rest of the crew there are not good with women's dresses.

My wife and I had a dress made for our daughter last month, paid $350 for the dress to be used for an important formal event, and it turned out to be nowhere near the picture we gave them and not near what we were expecting...and New York Tailor was unwilling to give us back our money (paid $200 initially). It was very disappointing...not only the lack of craftsmanship, lack of timeliness (it wasn't ready when they said it would be - makes us think that they were busily trying to get the dress together somewhere out back while we were waiting in their "showroom"), but also a lack of customer service/importance of customer satisfaction.

Bottom line, we would steer clear from New York Tailor and will let everyone we know to stay away from it as well. They talk about putting a lot of stock on customer satisfaction but our experience says otherwise.

Bobby K

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions to ask.... Firstly, the last time I was at COEX mall, I saw a tailors there, inside the mall, near the entrance to the Hyundai department store... Forgive me, I cant remember the name of it, but it looked quite good actually, from what I saw... Does anyone know anything about this place? For example , how expensive it is? Whether its any good, for example?

The other question I have is about prices: Recently, I've been thinking about getting a suit made... I've been looking on this forum for places to get a good made-to-measure suit made, and as far as I can see there are only 2 places ... Hahns in Itaewon and Saville row in Gwanghwamun... The thing is though, I only have about W700,000 - W800, 000 to spend... So clearly, Saville row is not an option... And forgive me when I say this, because I've read some good posts about Hahns on this site, but frankly, I'm scared about the quality of clothes made in Itaewon...

So, anyone... Any better ideas? Anyplaces I dont know about that are worth considering?

Bobby K

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bobby K
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions to ask.... Firstly, the last time I was at COEX mall, I saw a tailors there, inside the mall, near the entrance to the Hyundai department store... Forgive me, I cant remember the name of it, but it looked quite good actually, from what I saw... Does anyone know anything about this place? For example , how expensive it is? Whether its any good, for example?

The other question I have is about prices: Recently, I've been thinking about getting a suit made... I've been looking on this forum for places to get a good made-to-measure suit made, and as far as I can see there are only 2 places ... Hahns in Itaewon and Saville row in Gwanghwamun... The thing is though, I only have about W700,000 - W800, 000 to spend... So clearly, Saville row is not an option... And forgive me when I say this, because I've read some good posts about Hahns on this site, but frankly, I'm scared about the quality of clothes made in Itaewon...

So, anyone... Any better ideas? Anyplaces I dont know about that are worth considering?

Bobby K

I think that with your price range, you should be able to get a real decent suit in Korea. The tailor in COEX has a good reputation and I believe that someone from SF uses them. I had a 3 piece suit, an odd vest and two shirts made from Hanh's and I think the quality is very good for the price. Hahn is very easy to talk with. If you are that worried about the quality, you should go and take a look at the different places in Itaewon.

Bobby K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
I think that with your price range, you should be able to get a real decent suit in Korea. The tailor in COEX has a good reputation and I believe that someone from SF uses them. I had a 3 piece suit, an odd vest and two shirts made from Hanh's and I think the quality is very good for the price. Hahn is very easy to talk with. If you are that worried about the quality, you should go and take a look at the different places in Itaewon.

I'm really glad to hear that... I was a bit worried about quality here , to be honest...

I've just joined this forum actually...In the last couple of weeks, I've been reading some of the posts here talking about how the guys here wear these terrible shiny ill-fitting suits, ill-fitting and which look 2 sizes too big.. Well, guess what , I'm one of them! Ever since I've been here, which is like since 2007 , I ve been wearing these god-awful things...

Thats why I joined this site actually...I got so fed up with these crap suits, that I decided to do some serious searching as to whether it would be possible to get something decent tailored...

Thanks for all your help
Bobby K

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned yet if any of these tailors in korea do full-canvassing? let me know which ones, especially if they have savile row/british experience.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bobby K
I'm really glad to hear that... I was a bit worried about quality here , to be honest... I've just joined this forum actually...In the last couple of weeks, I've been reading some of the posts here talking about how the guys here wear these terrible shiny ill-fitting suits, ill-fitting and which look 2 sizes too big.. Well, guess what , I'm one of them! Ever since I've been here, which is like since 2007 , I ve been wearing these god-awful things... Thats why I joined this site actually...I got so fed up with these crap suits, that I decided to do some serious searching as to whether it would be possible to get something decent tailored... Thanks for all your help Bobby K
No problem, good luck. That's what SF is all about. If you do decide on a purchase, make sure to post some pics up.
Originally Posted by Svenn
Has anyone mentioned yet if any of these tailors in korea do full-canvassing? let me know which ones, especially if they have savile row/british experience.
Most, if not all the tailors in Korea that I have met have fully canvassed suits.

ironduke

Reaction score
I have a doubt about anyone in Korean tailoring have an experience on Britain or Italy? Some first-tier tailors started to reverse-engineer the jackets of Attolini and Zegna two or three years ago, I believe.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For the guy with shirt problems at Hahn's, that seems very strange. I've always heard his shirts are constructed well enough, and never heard about the collars being health hazards. Anyways, I never personally got a shirt from there.

Right next door to him is Savile Row (I don't think it is related to the other, more expensive one). The old guy that runs it speaks English well, has family going to school in America, and has been there a while. He made very casual shirts for me, collars and cuffs weren't starched a whole lot. You might try there.

Even the cheapest tailors in Itaewon use full canvas. Not that I'd suggest going to the cheap guys. They will outsource your suit to somewhere else in Seoul for a factory to make it, and the overall cut isn't good. In Itaewon, there are only two places worth going to: Hahn's and Savile Row. Everywhere else outsources to the same place. Not sure if Hahn's and Savile Row share a tailor themselves, but they seem to be friendly with each other and not with the other shops.

If you want MOP buttons and a bit better construction for higher price, go around city hall. Actually I bet if you just ask Hahn's or Savile Row, you can get the buttons too but it'll cost extra I'm sure.

As far as tailoring experience in Britain, I think but I'm not sure that Segi Tailor has someone that was apprenticed in Britain. That's where you go if you have money to spend for a very well made bespoke.

For all of these places, be very, very specific in what you want. They are used to suiting fat businessmen in very traditional suits. The good places are happy to follow your suggestions, but BRING EXAMPLES.

Onto my question: where is a good cobbler in Seoul? Someone I can trust to resole a good shoe.

Bobby K

Reaction score
Honestly, I dont think there are any good cobblers here in Seoul, and god knows I've looked... I think you'll have to get your shoes resoled when you go back home next... Bummer huh?

I have a question for the people on this site: Does anyone know the price range for a good quality made-to-measure suit at Satoria Mins, near the entrance of the grand Intercontental hotel at COEX... I was thinking of getting one made there in the next month or two, and I'd be interested in hearing from anyone whos ever been there before... Whats the quality like? Any problems?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads